How to keep structures from getting set on fire during Summer?

I'm in the 5th day of summer right now and I'm struggling quite a bit with the heatwave. I can handle not burning to death, but the main problem is how everything gets set on fire.

The Ice Flingomatic runs out of juice within days, and is pretty much useless from then on (read: later learned it can be refueled by things like wood). Once the Flingomatic runs out, there is nothing I can do to stop my base from burning down other than smash everything down with a hammer while they make smoke effects. I'm not even sure how to get the Flingomatic working again.

Another annoying thing about the Flingomatic is that it puts out campfires and Endothermics, so I can't put it anywhere near them.

Anyone got tips or ideas? I'm pretty stumped.

EDIT: First solution seems to be to turn the Flingomatic on and off when you actually need it. 

You really need to have a portable item than can put out fires. Give another function to the ice staff or make a water staff or give use snowballs.

We could use the flingomatic to make snow balls by storing chunks of ice inside which could be thrown at any thing to stop them from steaming.

It would improve things greatly if say, while you placed the ice flingomatic it showed you its range so you could set it up to protect exactly what you want.

This! This needs to happen.

I haven't even reached summer yet but I've already had to start building my base with the ice flingomatics in mind seeing as how I don't know how far they reach I'm praying luck is on my side.

Can Any structures catch fire? (I.e drying racks, chests)

I've played through one summer, and the only things I had try to spontaneously combust during that time were a sapling, crock pot, and pig house by my base, a wild tree, and a wild pig house.  The wild pig house I didn't have a hammer, so I just ran away hoping it wouldn't catch fire.  Later found out it did, but it didn't catch the tree right by it on fire, so running away at least seems to keep the fire from spreading I think.

The spontaneous combustion wasn't nearly as severe as I'd been led to believe reading peoples' posts.  But maybe I was lucky.  It did rain a lot more than I would have expected during the summer.  Near as I could tell, the flinger will reach about 3 tiles (turf tiles).   One of the devs has mentioned that they are indeed going to make some way to tell the range of the flinger.   NOTE that the flinger will currently also put out your fire pits, regular and endothermic both.  I can kind of understand the regular as it's a dumb machine and it's a good downside to using the flinger, but the endothermic fire should not even be targeted.  It's a cold fire!

I've lost my first RoG base to a fire during my first couple of days of summer. Note that I started my world during Spring season, and all I could think was where the hell will I ever get 15 pieces of Ice? I encountered a total of 4 or 5 melted Glaciers during Spring which was simply not enough to build myself a Flingomatic, not to mention an Ice Cube.

So far I believe there should be a way to refine "something " aka water into Ice during spring, summer and autumn.

I've lost my first RoG base to a fire during my first couple of days of summer. Note that I started my world during Spring season, and all I could think was where the hell will I ever get 15 pieces of Ice? I encountered a total of 4 or 5 melted Glaciers during Spring which was simply not enough to build myself a Flingomatic, not to mention an Ice Cube.

So far I believe there should be a way to refine "something " aka water into Ice during spring, summer and autumn.

Well I noticed that while trying to slaughter the pengulls for being hostile for no reason, the fire I was making seemed to melt the glacier.

And that's why I don't want to download RoG yet, this thing is brutal.

There is line, really easy to cross, between challenging and unfair, the second one is what RoG beta is now.

Not really. Yes, some things are unbalanced and/or broken but it's easy to skip seasons when making a world. The only thing I find brutal enough to skip is winter, and the devs confirmed the wetness mechanic is bugged. If nothing else you can try it out and give potentially important feedback then go back to vanilla DS if you get sick of it.

I think the build should not catch fire, only plants and trees. During my gameplay anything catches fire I saw a butterfly even starting to smoke, is it serious?

A smoking butterfly? Don't they know that smoking gives you cancer? ;)

Jokes aside, I haven't made it to summer yet (I've only been able to play for a half hour), but this sounds crazy!

Archived