Wet, wet, wet

So I love parts of the new wetness mechanic, but I have a couple questions and a couple of suggestions:

Question:

If I have an umbrella, everything on me seems to stay dry, however, once the rain stops and I start moving around, everything then becomes wet which is very bizarre. Is this the intended behavior, i.e. is it getting wet because I'm moving on wet ground? if so that seems a bit off.

Question/Suggestion:

When your near a fire it seems your wetness meter empties faster, however non of the gear next to it seems to dry out faster. Should the fire be affecting wet objects and drying them out? If not, I think that could be a cool improvement.

Suggestion:

I like that having wet clothing (hats, backpack, clothes) affects your sanity. This makes sense as no one likes to have wet items against their skin. However, I do find it odd that a wet spear or axe would also drop your sanity. I think instead it should make what ever you're holding less useful:

Examples:

Axe takes 15 chops on a big tree

Wet Axe takes 30 chops

Pickaxe takes 6 swing on a boulder

Wet Pickaxe takes 12

Spear does 34 damage

Wet spear dose 17

Walking stick increases speed

Wet walking stick does half damage and half speed increase

Maybe half is too much, I'm not sure, but I think that's a more interesting approach then just piling the sanity dump

The same could apply to wet food, giving less effect (kinda like spoiled? Maybe increased chance at getting sick - temporary reduction in max food level?)

Question:

Are you using the same density of frogs for the frog rain as in adventure mode? I think it's a tad overkill; the beefalo near me ended up killing 64 frogs from one storm on day 5. Maybe it should scale like the hounds? It made starving very out of the realm of possibility for quite some time.

Thats all for now!

Suggestion:

I like that having wet clothing (hats, backpack, clothes) affects your sanity. This makes sense as no one likes to have wet items against their skin. However, I do find it odd that a wet spear or axe would also drop your sanity. I think instead it should make what ever you're holding less useful:

Examples:

Axe takes 15 chops on a big tree

Wet Axe takes 30 chops

Pickaxe takes 6 swing on a boulder

Wet Pickaxe takes 12

Spear does 34 damage

Wet spear dose 17

Walking stick increases speed

Wet walking stick does half damage and half speed increase

Maybe half is too much, I'm not sure, but I think that's a more interesting approach then just piling the sanity dump

The same could apply to wet food, giving less effect (kinda like spoiled? Maybe increased chance at getting sick - temporary reduction in max food level?)

I don't think that wetness should effect the amount of swings it takes to do things with tools. I saw a suggestion of the forums for tools, which was to make wet tools slip out of your hand sometimes when used.

I like the idea of food wet food either giving less, or taking less time to spoil. 

Clothing should give you a sanity debuff if it is wet like you said, but I would also add that it's durability would decrease faster.

I'm not sure if this is in the DLC or not but wet tinder should provide less fuel for the fire.

I don't think that wetness should effect the amount of swings it takes to do things with tools. I saw a suggestion of the forums for tools, which was to make wet tools slip out of your hand sometimes when used.

I like the idea of food wet food either giving less, or taking less time to spoil. 

Clothing should give you a sanity debuff if it is wet like you said, but I would also add that it's durability would decrease faster.

I'm not sure if this is in the DLC or not but wet tinder should provide less fuel for the fire.

I like the tinder idea; wet fuel burns worse, although we already have rain dousing fire faster; maybe too much?

The increased number of swings was to suggest exactly that sometimes the tool slips. Instead of actually removing it from your hands which would just be an annoying mechanic, you're suggesting that you just can't get as good of a grip on it, thus more swings.

I think wet food should at some point should actually turn into wet goop instead of giving less or spoiling differently. Maybe after one day of being wet, you've got goop.

I also did some more testing and there's definitely something off with the wetness mechanic. If you have an umbrella out when it's not raining it turns your wet gear dry; this doesn't make sense, though it's beta so I'm not totally surprised. There seems to be some world wetness value that's affecting your gear even though you have no current wetness value.

The wetness mechanic is really confusing me and making it almost impossible for me to do anything. Because even though the rain has stopped for half a day all my items are wet and I have no idea how to dry them (if there even is a way). Winter has just started and it rained alot just before it started and my only winter hat got wet and I can't use it because my sanity goes down so quickly that it is totally unusable. And sometimes items will dry and then a few seconds later they will just get wet again without me even touching it.

Do you mean dry the items faster? My items dried out pretty quickly, and I thought I read they dry out quicker by the fire.

Also, I am pretty sure the fires are going out faster, since two logs won't last a night anymore. I like the change though, never died so much to darkness.

Do you mean dry the items faster? My items dried out pretty quickly, and I thought I read they dry out quicker by the fire.

Also, I am pretty sure the fires are going out faster, since two logs won't last a night anymore. I like the change though, never died so much to darkness.

Your character dries out faster by the fire. Your items however, do not. This puts them in a state of uselessness due to the insanely high sanity drain of wearing or equiping wet items. And items seem to stay wet for what seems to be a full in game day.

I am basing most of this off my own experience in game, so I don't know if all this is completely correct.

Bottom of the line is, something needs to be done about how wet items work because if they do get wet there really isn't much you can do. And I can't spend my first twenty days hunting for beefalo (for warm clothing) swamp (for tentacle spots) and desert (for bone shards) especially since in the early game it is rare that you would consider yourself prepared to tackle tentacles and hound mounds. I need to hunt for all these items while also getting the science machines, stocking up on food and resources which imo is a bit too much to have to do so early in the game.

Yeah, and the umbrella seems to do nothing as far as I can tell playing with WX-78.

They made it so you have to have a hat on along with the umbrella to stop taking damage. But not all hats work, winter hat will not stop you from taking damage.

So I figured out what the biggest issue I think with the wetness mechanic. If I have my umbrella equipped while it is raining it will completely stop things from getting wet. That's fine, makes sense. However once the rain has stopped you still have to have the umbrella equipped for a good amount of time or else your items will get wet again. And for some reason, if your items get wet if you re-equip your umbrella after a few seconds it will dry your items... o_O So yeah, I think the wetness mechanic needs some tweaking so that once the rain has stopped your items can't get wet anymore and also rework a bit how drying them works. Doesn't make sense that re-equipping the umbrella dries your items after they've gotten wet.

So I figured out what the biggest issue I think with the wetness mechanic. If I have my umbrella equipped while it is raining it will completely stop things from getting wet. That's fine, makes sense. However once the rain has stopped you still have to have the umbrella equipped for a good amount of time or else your items will get wet again. And for some reason, if your items get wet if you re-equip your umbrella after a few seconds it will dry your items... o_O So yeah, I think the wetness mechanic needs some tweaking so that once the rain has stopped your items can't get wet anymore and also rework a bit how drying them works. Doesn't make sense that re-equipping the umbrella dries your items after they've gotten wet.

umbrella was not stopping my items from getting wet...

also I made a garland out of non wet petals and it had already stopped raining and i created a wet garland, so something is wrong in the code i guess.

umbrella was not stopping my items from getting wet...

also I made a garland out of non wet petals and it had already stopped raining and i created a wet garland, so something is wrong in the code i guess.

It stopped mine, maybe you have to have a hat on? Since I was pretty much constantly running around with a top hat.

• Developer

Good investigation! The wetness mechanic definitely needs a bit of balancing and has some bugs. Definitely a priority for us to address.

Good investigation! The wetness mechanic definitely needs a bit of balancing and has some bugs. Definitely a priority for us to address.

Awesome. Thanks for replying, always nice to know that I didn't type all that for nothing :)

Copied and pasted from my post in another thread, just so it's in a suggestions thread:

Snow causing wetness just seems overkill. Winter is harsh enough as it is, but with the wetness you can't even wear any heat giving clothes because when they're wet they cause sanity drain. It just encourages players to turtle near a fire for the whole season to survive and not go insane, which is definitely not good.

Snow should not cause wetness.

• Developer

Yeah, @Amkar, the winter/snow making you wet thing is one of the main things we'll be looking at with regard to the wetness mechanic. As you say, we want to avoid making turtling the most appealing/only viable strategy. That's boring!

I do like this wet aspect very much, but I think currently it seems to take a long time for wet items to dry. Not sure if winter affected it, but it seemed to take several game days for wet items to dry. I feel that is bit overkill, if it leads to situations that your stuff is never dry because it starts to rain again before it dries. Perhaps one day or if it has to be several days, maybe some way to shorten it, like being near fire.

I do like this wet aspect very much, but I think currently it seems to take a long time for wet items to dry. Not sure if winter affected it, but it seemed to take several game days for wet items to dry. I feel that is bit overkill, if it leads to situations that your stuff is never dry because it starts to rain again before it dries. Perhaps one day or if it has to be several days, maybe some way to shorten it, like being near fire.

For now, equipping an umbrella seems to dry your items quite quickly. Works for me.

Copied and pasted from my post in another thread, just so it's in a suggestions thread:

Snow causing wetness just seems overkill. Winter is harsh enough as it is, but with the wetness you can't even wear any heat giving clothes because when they're wet they cause sanity drain. It just encourages players to turtle near a fire for the whole season to survive and not go insane, which is definitely not good.

Snow should not cause wetness.

Playing winter right now as Wendy. This is brutal, and not much fun. :(

Yeah, @Amkar, the winter/snow making you wet thing is one of the main things we'll be looking at with regard to the wetness mechanic. As you say, we want to avoid making turtling the most appealing/only viable strategy. That's boring!

Okay, that's great! Thanks!

Archived