Reign of Giants: Your Discoveries

Snow causing wetness just seems overkill. Winter is harsh enough as it is, but with the wetness you can't even wear any heat giving clothes because when they're wet they cause sanity drain. It just encourages players to turtle near a fire for the whole season to survive and not go insane, which is definitely not good.

Snow should not cause wetness.

Snow causing wetness just seems overkill. Winter is harsh enough as it is, but with the wetness you can't even wear any heat giving clothes because when they're wet they cause sanity drain. It just encourages players to turtle near a fire for the whole season to survive and not go insane, which is definitely not good.

Snow should not cause wetness.

I'm wearing just the beefalo hat and have no problems to survive Winter. And snow is not doing so much wetness as rain. I think it's ok.

Yeah, but when you play Adventured Mode and on King of Winter, which so far seems to be perpetual snow, it gets a bit overkill. Especially if such a world ends up being your first world, or you didn't bring the supplies to make parasols and what not, the eventual maxing out of that wetness gauge will kill you.

I do suggest that either The King of Winter's snow be turned off, or that snow itself cause a very minimal increase to wetness, which can be easily countered by easier to make alternatives.

I'm wearing just the beefalo hat and have no problems to survive Winter. And snow is not doing so much wetness as rain. I think it's ok.

Hm... That's odd. I had a winter hat on and it got wet pretty fast.

I discovered, that sanity penalties changed a lot. I was going Wickerbottom and I managed to survive only till day 25 when I started to run out of sanity (even when I had a stack of mushrooms and candies). I think that:

1. Monsters become more scarier, especially the big ones like Treeguard that burned my sanity preety much

at close proximity.

2. Winter sanity penalties are higher' cause even when I wore a Top Hat and Umbrella my sanity still gone         down at dusk and night. There was only a slaight increase on sanity during a day but then you couldn't go

much further cause you would freeze (due to a heatstone uselessness)  

Another thing is that pigs do not accept food. I used to dump excess berries and stuff into piggies guts for some valuable poo to keep me worm during long winter nights but now its impossible.

If you have problems with the sanity drain, try using the sleeping roll or the tent. This helped me a lot.

It's not so much the drain, it's the fact that you either sacrifice your warmth for sanity, or vice versa. At least it's been said they're going to do some balancing on rain and stuff.

I got curious about how over-heating worked for the characters, and then I realised that Wilson's beard keeps him warm in the Winter which made me wonder if it would cause him to over-heat faster in Summer depending on the level it was at.

As it turns out, the beard doesn't affect how fast he over-heats. You can still grow tier 3 Beards to reap the benefits of Beard Hair.

Insulation is insulation. It provides protection from both the hot and the cold.

In real life, if you have a shaggy dog, you're better off not doing anything about its coat in the summer. Without their coat, they are actually more likely to overheat.

It's not so much the drain, it's the fact that you either sacrifice your warmth for sanity, or vice versa. At least it's been said they're going to do some balancing on rain and stuff.

But that is some kind of challenging. If you have sanity an warmth, you don't need to worry about the winter at all. But maybe there will be some changes in the next update.

The only problem that I had was that my heatstone was kinda broken and never getting warm.

Tallbirds reproduce. Don't know if that's been mentioned but I don't want to go through 12 pages of posts...

WHAAAAT?!  I have a tallbird fort in my world!  This will either be the awesomest thing ever, or the worst!  Though in reality I'll probably have to change worlds for the update before I can really exploit it.

WHAAAAT?!  I have a tallbird fort in my world!  This will either be the awesomest thing ever, or the worst!  Though in reality I'll probably have to change worlds for the update before I can really exploit it.

Yeah I was quite surprised as well to see a smallbird hanging around a tallbird, had to kill the parent because it started attacking me while I was trying to mine a rock too close to its nest and the smallbird quickly starved afterward...

Well, Tallbirds do reproduce. However, I haven't seen the smallbirds actually survive. Usually they starve to death. But the Smallbirds do exist for Tallbirds now. It's rather nice. Until they starve to death...

I've also experienced that the Lost Fragment mod breaks the game unless you turn a lot of settings off. Just me screwing around trying to have the Maxwell fight I always wanted.

Um i dont know if its been said but apparantly nitre is the bait for moles. I got bored and looked in the code and it said:  

inst:AddComponent("edible")

inst.components.edible.foodtype = "ELEMENTAL"

inst.components.edible.hungervalue = 2

inst:AddComponent("bait")

inst:AddTag("molebait")

any rock, and even some of the grave trinkets are mole bait.

I agree that snow causing you and your inventory to soak should be nerfed, mainly because the heat stone is literally useless. It's a good mechanic, but it's a tad too harsh. I feel it would really make sense if your equipment was as wet as you, so if your rain-meter is all the way down you have nothing to fear. If not, have some way to dry that stuff. I also found it wasn't telegraphed very well as I was wondering why nothing could stabilize my sanity for quite a few minutes and the only indicator was that everything was described as wet.

Um i dont know if its been said but apparantly nitre is the bait for moles. I got bored and looked in the code and it said:  

inst:AddComponent("edible")

inst.components.edible.foodtype = "ELEMENTAL"
    inst.components.edible.hungervalue = 2

inst:AddComponent("bait")
    inst:AddTag("molebait")

That's not exclusive to nitre, and as best as I can tell they don't eat it, they just stash it in their burrow; their code doesn't mention eating anything and I left some stuff with them for 2 whole days and got the entire stack back when I dug the burrow.  The "edible" component is for the slurtles and rock lobsters.

The more interesting things you can bait them with are heatstones, gears, ash, ice, and trinkets.  And just so nobody makes the mistake that the use of the word "bait" means "trappable", moleworms are immune to traps (the kind that trap the animal, not the killing kind).

That's not exclusive to nitre, and as best as I can tell they don't eat it, they just stash it in their burrow; their code doesn't mention eating anything and I left some stuff with them for 2 whole days and got the entire stack back when I dug the burrow.  The "edible" component is for the slurtles and rock lobsters.

The more interesting things you can bait them with are heatstones, gears, ash, ice, and trinkets.  And just so nobody makes the mistake that the use of the word "bait" means "trappable", moleworms are immune to traps (the kind that trap the animal, not the killing kind).

Nice Sleuthing

Archived