Animator for William 2 would be fantabulous!

NikMik

So, those who follow William 2 will know about how he turns into Were-Will at the full moon, right?

Well, I would love for him to have a custom build, complete with animations, to make him look even more beastly-y!

However, I myself can't animate for s***, and so I ask some kind soul with enough free time to make them for me!

WHAT I WOULD LIKE THE ANIMATIONS TO BE:

Stand on two legs when idle, can have one claw on the ground like Maxwell in chapter 5 of adventure (In fact, I would like that)

Run on two legs, with a slight limp, and his head down.

Attack: Crouching, swiping both his hands upwards to do a double-attack.

Eat: Just smash the food into his mouth, kind of like the Werebeaver.

Die: Just plop forwards, like the other beast-men models.

Hurt: Just a small flinch. 

Howl/roar: Like the werepig.

REQUIREMENTS:

Must be able to have hats on. 'Sall.

Look like the rough image below. I will let the animator draw the rough shape (with my guidance), and then I can colour it and such.

If anyone can do this, they'll get a very special version of the mod with a limited edition alternate outfit of their choice!

And my appreciation!

If it isn't possible, I understand.

ROUGH IMAGE OF WHAT HE'LL LOOK LIKE:

post-286034-0-13341700-1393472932_thumb.

So, those who follow William 2 will know about how he turns into Were-Will at the full moon, right?

Well, I would love for him to have a custom build, complete with animations, to make him look even more beastly-y!

However, I myself can't animate for s***, and so I ask some kind soul with enough free time to make them for me!

WHAT I WOULD LIKE THE ANIMATIONS TO BE:

Stand on two legs when idle, can have one claw on the ground like Maxwell in chapter 5 of adventure (In fact, I would like that)

REQUIREMENTS:

Look like the rough image below. I will let the animator draw the rough shape (with my guidance), and then I can colour it and such.

If anyone can do this, they'll get a very special version of the mod with a limited edition alternate outfit of their choice!

And my appreciation!

If it isn't possible, I understand.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think your one "requirement" can be met...

The hats are set up to fit the players, and swap out an invisible symbol for the chosen hat texture...

Besides having to re-do the art for every hat, and make a new beast-William build for each possible hat... then adding post-inits to every hat to alter the onequip to check if you are beast-William, and if so, swap to the appropriate build-with-hat...

I don't know, maybe one of the more code-minded will have a workable solution, but I don't think it is really possible.

Here's a breakdown of what the required animations would entail:

Idle: One animation, 1-2 seconds. (Though it would look better with three, one would be passable.)

Run: Three animations, ~1 second each.

Attack: Three animations, ~1 second each.

Eat: One animation, ~half a second.

Die: One animation, ~1-3 seconds.

Hurt: Three animations, ~half a second. (Maybe a bit more.)

Howl/Roar: One animation, ~2-4 seconds.

Quite a bit of work. Just as a heads-up.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think your one "requirement" can be met...

The hats are set up to fit the players, and swap out an invisible symbol for the chosen hat texture...

Besides having to re-do the art for every hat, and make a new beast-William build for each possible hat... then adding post-inits to every hat to alter the onequip to check if you are beast-William, and if so, swap to the appropriate build-with-hat...

I don't know, maybe one of the more code-minded will have a workable solution, but I don't think it is really possible.

Here's a breakdown of what the required animations would entail:

Idle: One animation, 1-2 seconds. (Though it would look better with three, one would be passable.)

Run: Three animations, ~1 second each.

Attack: Three animations, ~1 second each.

Eat: One animation, ~half a second.

Die: One animation, ~1-3 seconds.Hurt: Three animations, ~half a second. (Maybe a bit more.)Howl/Roar: One animation, ~2-4 seconds.

Quite a bit of work. Just as a heads-up.

(Typing on phone from work)

Sorry, I meant be able to use the hat override symbol. >.>

And I understand that animatimg is a lot of work. Mever thought it eould ne easy.

(Typing on phone from work)

Sorry, I meant be able to use the hat override symbol. >.>

And I understand that animatimg is a lot of work. Mever thought it eould ne easy.

Yeah, that's the problem - I'm not sure it'll be possible to make it compatible with the hat override symbol.

We'd probably need someone like Cheerio to answer that.

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that you made it sound too easy - just broke it down for a less experienced animator, in case someone wants to give it a shot.

'Fraid I can't do it myself - even if I could work, I'd be too busy with other stuff. =(

Yeah, that's the problem - I'm not sure it'll be possible to make it compatible with the hat override symbol.

We'd probably need someone like Cheerio to answer that.

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that you made it sound too easy - just broke it down for a less experienced animator, in case someone wants to give it a shot.

'Fraid I can't do it myself - even if I could work, I'd be too busy with other stuff. =(

Damn. If not, the hat would have to be part of the head. Oh, well.

Thank you for responding at all. :)

That's what I was talking about with having a separate build for each possible hat.

It would be a nightmare to set up. x.x

Actually, when he goes were you lose access to his inventory. All I wanted was for a separate hat build for his own hat to appear over his head, to bounce like they do on the player/beastmen.

Actually, when he goes Were-Will you lose access to his inventory. All I wanted was for a separate hat build for his own hat to appear over his head, to bounce like they do on the player/beastmen.

It's...Possible. But it depends on how you've got your character split up. I'm still a bit shaky on how the DS animations are done, having just starting digging around, but if they are just single-frame animations(gifs work too) then it will be fairly easy to fit together, seeing as the parts will be seperate. After that, it's mostly tweening(like in the pokemon black/white games), with some possible extra movements for something like the running animation. Let's go down the list.

Fairly simple, just basic tweening of the shapes.

Again fairly simple. The legs will have to have a 'in the air' and 'on the ground' animation, and the limp will have to be to one side.

Simplicity depends on how stiff you don't want it.

A little more complicated, unless you plan to do the pictures for the open mouth and eating frames.(That's about 2 or three. One open, and one halfway. More depending on flucidity)

Werebeaver falls on his face right? That means we will have to have another 'on the ground' sprite for that.

Too easy

Same with the eating, will require special frames.

REQUIREMENTS:

Same as above. If you're willing to make the hats, and program on the 'if wearing hat a, use animation hatarun, if wearing hat b,' etc etc.

So for the art, well I can do it, but you could also do it. Either way it means a LOTTA pictures.

I mean literally like a hundred, 50 at least.

^^^

I have a build already. Right now it shares animations with the werepig. The pig arms not being used, of course.

post-286034-0-61598100-1394187189_thumb.

And the hat.

post-286034-0-45015200-1394187227_thumb.

If that's a bit (or very) hard to work with, I completely understand. I can also upload a labeled version, if you want.

Looks doable. Could you maybe grab the L shaped arm, and put the claw at the bottom of an I shaped one to make an arm with the claw 'placed' on the ground?

Also maybe make the tail a seperate piece?

There's a few other frames I might need, but if you give me that I should have enough for a walk cycle, and probaly the others. There's quite a lot there, so it might take me some time to work out what is missing.

Also I'll need that file, preferably in as high quality as possible.(I have photoshop, your img files do not scare me mwuhahha!)

Yep, I can do it, no problem as long as you fill in the missing parts as I list them.

Oh! And I'll need a front side and back refence of the pieces together, don't want the arms too low!

Looks doable. Could you maybe grab the L shaped arm, and put the claw at the bottom of an I shaped one to make an arm with the claw 'placed' on the ground?

1: there already is two (For some reason, there was 2 of every limb in the build that I edited) of the type of arms you wanted. They're used in the howl animation he's currently using. There's also a body used for the howl next to the two large "swipe trails" up at the top. The faces with his head pointing upwards and his mouth open are also used for the howl.

2: I can do that. I'll also put the hat into the atlas so you can just use them together.

EDIT: I'm making a new build for just the part needed. I'll also put some writing to show what the parts are for.

There's a few other frames I might need, but if you give me that I should have enough for a walk cycle, and probaly the others. There's quite a lot there, so it might take me some time to work out what is missing.

Also I'll need that file, preferably in as high quality as possible.(I have photoshop, your img files do not scare me mwuhahha!)

Yep, I can do it, no problem as long as you fill in the missing parts as I list them.

Oh! And I'll need a front side and back refence of the pieces together, don't want the arms too low!

I edited my above post, ^_^'' I have a habit of doing that.

1: there already is two (For some reason, there was 2 of every limb in the build that I edited) of the type of arms you wanted. They're used in the howl animation he's currently using. There's also a body used for the howl next to the two large "swipe trails" up at the top. The faces with his head pointing upwards and his mouth open are also used for the howl.

2: I can do that. I'll also put the hat into the atlas so you can just use them together.

Ok I looked, and I can't see one exactly like what I'm looking for.

939c8c020e47af3ca7dd6688e0432dfa.png I'm just semi-planning the one arm on the ground thing and I guess this arm could work, but I was hoping for the claws to maybe be slightly less downward. Then again, it might look fine on the puppet.(I won't know until I start the idle animation)

Also, I'm going to need a front view for this arm too, if we're doing the slouching.

I edited my above post, ^_^'' I have a habit of doing that.

Ok I looked, and I can't see one exactly like what I'm looking for.

939c8c020e47af3ca7dd6688e0432dfa.png I'm just semi-planning the one arm on the ground thing and I guess this arm could work, but I was hoping for the claws to maybe be slightly less downward. Then again, it might look fine on the puppet.(I won't know until I start the idle animation)

Also, I'm going to need a front view for this arm too, if we're doing the slouching.

Way ahead of you! I'll have the build up shortly.

Now, the side view of the head already has ears because it looks really weird with the non-connect ones on there. They make him look like a rabbit - which is funny because he was originally going to turn into a were-rabbit.

Way ahead of you! I'll have the build up shortly.

Now, the side view of the head already has ears because it looks really weird with the non-connect ones on there. They make him look like a rabbit - which is funny because he was originally going to turn into a were-rabbit.

Oh just GREAT

As if I need more exiting things to do tomorrow <_<

I blame you for being such awesomesauce.

Oh just GREAT

As if I need more exiting things to do tomorrow <_<

I blame you for being such awesomesauce.

How's this? The side neck shouldn't be that long, but I thought I'd just put in a bit extra. Better than have a bit more than not enough!

post-286034-0-61630300-1394195894_thumb.

Here's a tip, to avoid big images, put them in quotes.

Everything looks pretty good there, I just need a fully built reference of front side and back. (Like the image in your thread on the last page.)

If there's anything else, I'll contact you asap.

Here's a tip, to avoid big images, put them in quotes.

Everything looks pretty good there, I just need a fully built reference of front side and back. (Like the image in your thread on the last page.)

If there's anything else, I'll contact you asap.

Okey dokes.

Also, the random next to the "idle non grab" was meant to be the idle one. The on the says "idle non grab" can be used for anything else. I'll look and decide. Also, the size of the limbs will need to be changed in the animations - like the "floor-grabbing arms" will need to be made longer, and such.

Okey dokes. 

Once you get me those references I can start ^_^ I don't want to animate without a point of reference, they'll looked skewed and be jumping all over the place.

Also, the random next to the "idle non grab" was meant to be the idle one. The on the says "idle non grab" can be used for anything else. I'll look and decide. Also, the size of the limbs will need to be changed in the animations - like the "floor-grabbing arms" will need to be made longer, and such.

Yep, no problem.

Here's the reference! I just did the side views of the running and attack animations, tell me if you need the front and back views or if the sides are enough. Also, I just remembered there's no need for a death animation, since I already have a finished transform back to Will animation which happens both by "death" or the sun rising.

post-286034-0-19018000-1394198692_thumb.

Also, will you be playing with this mod after it's finished?

Alright! Perfect! I think that's everything.

Mmm, probably not when it first comes out(I gotta get used to the new DLC first<_<), but eventually!

Doesn't mean I won't help you complete it ^_^ it sounds like a great mod!

Anywho, I'm off for the night, see you in 12 hours or so.

Alright! Perfect! I think that's everything.

Mmm, probably not when it first comes out(I gotta get used to the new DLC first<_<), but eventually!

Doesn't mean I won't help you complete it ^_^ it sounds like a great mod!

Anywho, I'm off for the night, see you in 12 hours or so.

Alright. and the mod now requires the DLC, so it will have to wait 'til you use it. Anyways, I'll be off for the night, as well.

i'll PM you about the rewards for helping me!

0ef70741facf5701dc6f3889b761eb94.pngfb0e6195d8405499b1d1e41606e827a0.png

Stage one was taking the assets, and splitting them up into many layers, which flash can reconise. This will save me a lot of hassle doen the track, and looks neat too.This results in the right image when imported into flash, with each layer keeping it's settings.(Meaning I don't have to mess with flash's lessthan-stellar editor when I have photoshop) And essentially it's all ready to put together!

And thus we are left with, after an hour or two of work:

oldguynoreferences_by_warewolves-d79a0a0

The colors went a bit warped after giffisation, but it shows the animation off.(It might take a moment to load)

Here is a flash animation file if the gif doesn't move on your computer: http://sta.sh/0m4n5krviyj

Let me know what you think, and if there's anything you want changed.

Few things...

You're lacking ease in/ease out. Relying purely on the tweens to make the animation for you, making everything evenly spaced.

You need to have things more like this:
slow-in-and-out.jpg

Otherwise, it all looks mechanical and wrong.

You're also lacking nice animation arcs - again, this is because you're relying on the tween to do everything between your start and end points.

Furthermore, everything is happening at the exact same time - good animation needs things to overlap. The arm should reach the peak of its swing at a different frame to the body reaching the peak of its movement.

And finally... uh... you're using Flash.

You need to use the software Spriter to make animations for Don't Starve.

I do know that stuff, it's the putting into practice that I have trouble with sometimes <_< I'm getting better though. (This is good practice afterall) Thanks for the friendly reminder though.

So it's Spriter? Ok, good to know. I'll migrate over to that program then.

Archived