Whats up with these ads?

Battal

Yep, definitely run a full Malwarebytes scan.

You may also want to reconsider what sort of antivirus protection you have, since good antivirus software can prevent that sort of malware from infecting your system in the first place. I personally recommend AVG, though there's some other solid choices out there as well.

Avoiding being exposed to malware in the first place by practicing safe browsing habits and installing some security addons (like NoScript in Firefox, which can be a bit annoying at first, but after a bit of setup, it's a great additional layer of security) can go a long way to keeping your computer safe.

One of the guys here had something similar a while back. Funny little thing. 

He came to me asking when we put ads on the forums. The crazy thing is, it was formatted correctly, ad banners in appropriate places. It was rather clever. 

Malware companies are buying up legit little plugins and replacing them with malware, so you can get something completely legit, then it updates to something... not so legit. 

One of the guys here had something similar a while back. Funny little thing. 

He came to me asking when we put ads on the forums. The crazy thing is, it was formatted correctly, ad banners in appropriate places. It was rather clever. 

Malware companies are buying up legit little plugins and replacing them with malware, so you can get something completely legit, then it updates to something... not so legit. 

Wise words.  I have a Malware software, I'll be running a scan later tonight.  That ought to remove it.

I use and recommend this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/notscripts/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcfn

It will only show what you select. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will show up until you allow that specific part through the script. You can use the little (?) and see if that website hosted any type of threats. You can also allow temporary access for those one-time-use websites. As @Syd said, annoying at first, but once you get your usual things all set you will love it.

Firefox's NoScript is more powerful since Chrome doesn't allow for data to be blocked before its loaded by the kernel (that's why Firefox has a more effective adblocker as well), but if you'd prefer to use Chrome, then NotScript is probably okay for most stuff.

But yeah, once you form a whitelist for your most commonly-visited websites, it's not much of an issue anymore, and it makes you much safer on the 'net than you would be otherwise.

Dafaq, its still going even after I removed all the stuff from the scan...

Have you tried disabling all your browser addons/plugins? If that fixes it, then you can try to narrow down the culprit by re-enabling them one-by-one.

If that doesn't work, may want to try a different scanner.

Archived