Hey, Forumers. You had better find something to eat before night comes...

Battal

67 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about this new story type thing.

• Really cool, have my reputation!
    • It's neat.
    • Eh, meh...
    • Nah.
    • I wish it would die in a muddy ditch, alone, without friends, family, or HOPE!

Segment Twelve

"The Needlessly In-Depth Combat Scene"

"Drop your weapon.  Or I'll cut it out of your hand."  The attacker hissed.  Another ice-cold blade touched the hand holding the flint, and Battal reluctantly dropped the stone, knowing he wasn't in the position to argue.  He briefly considered calling for the group, but almost immediately dismissed the idea.  It would surely get him a sword in the throat, and he doubted he could get much through the gag anyways.  He also idealized swinging around and fighting, but that would probably get him a sword in the throat as well.  Leaving Battal only one choice.  He slowly walked backwards into the woods, and was greeted by a friendly bash in the head.  Everything went black.

When the Debul awoke, he was tied to a tree with a simple strand of rope.  Simple, yet effective; he couldn't move his entire upper body.  However, he did get his first good look at his captors.  There were 13 in total; probably not very lucky.  They were dressed in black coats, with clawed shoulders much like Maxwell's.  The men's faces were wrapped in similarly black cloth, with only cruel eyes glaring out from slits in the fabric.  They all carried shadowy, curved blades, along with the occasional dagger or bow.   As Battal examined them, they broke out into an argument.

"Why does Lord H want him so badly, anyways?"  A smaller one asked.  " He already has more test subjects than he needs..."

This statement was received by a punch in the face by a larger warrior.  "Do not question our master's intentions!  We do as he orders.  No questions asked.  That was the deal."

The smaller warrior's wrappings sloshed around a bit like fruit in a blender, almost prompting Battal to vomit.  In seconds it had solidified once more.  "I know the deal, fool."  He spat.  " What I want to know is why our...skillset...is being used for meager tasks like this.  Lord H could simply send a pack of hounds, or even one of those damned Queens to do it.  Why us?"

The warrior did not stop to think.  "He already overpowered Ignis-Avuz, twice.  We are the..."

The argument continued as Battal slowly burned though his bonds.  Once freed, he sneaked around the clearing to a rock overcrop, where his confiscated items lay.  He picked up his spear, and quietly closed in on the nearest man.Pulling back his arm, he thrust the spear into the man's back and...

Nothing.  No pained cry, no burst of blood, nothing.  It was like stabbing mist.  The creature (For it definitely wasn't human) swung around, his outstretched hand smashing into Jakob and sending him flying.  And then they were upon him, blades slashing in a frenzied blur.  Battal parried, ducked, and weaved through the wall of blades.  Grabbing onto the sword arm of an attacker, he pulled the weapon out of its hand and drove it through the creature's chest.  It let out a nightmarish moan, thick black gunk gushing out of its clothing like a river. 

The Debul laughed, swinging around to deflect a strike heading for his neck.  He sliced the arm off his opponent and threw its corpse into two other warriors.  He didn't bother to watch them stumble; he ducked under an incoming attack instead.  His singing blade lopped the head off the creature like a knife through flaming butter.  An arrow drove itself into the ground next to him, and Battal drove it into the stomach of someone else.  Anything, everything that attacked him was dead.  Another arrow struck him in the leg, and was that a knife stuck in his ribs?  Battal didn't care.  He didn't care at all.

Twelve.  Twelve warriors were dead.  Each kill was fresh in his mind.  One left.  Only one.  The bloodlust faded, and Battal became painfully aware of his injuries.  He pulled the knife out of his side, dropping the crimson-stained blade to the ground as he faced his final threat.  It was the massive warrior who had partaken in the argument.  At this point, useless information.  Battal grinned weakly, spinning his sword like a baton.  No emotion could be seen from the creature's eyes, but a bellowing laugh echoed from beneath the mask.  It pulled out two equally massive blades, and assumed a defensive stance.  The Debul didn't stand on ceremony.  He charged forwards.

The fight was swift.  Battal suffered a few minor cuts, but gave better than he got.  One more cut, one more parry, and it was over.  The warrior fell to its knees, then sideways, its two swords and one smaller blade lodged in its chest. however, it was not yet dead.  Battal approached it, and knelt down in front of its head.

"Who sent you?  Who is this 'Lord H' of yours?  What do you want with me?"  The Debul growled, his bloody hand grasping the warrior's mask.

"That...that is not for you to know.  And it..it would ruin the surprise."  The creature replied in a raspy voice.  It coughed once, and then was still.  Battal roared in anger, and ripped off the mask.  He caught a glimpse of a featureless face, smooth as the surface of water, before it exploded into a mass of serpentine tendrils.  Battal stumbled backwards, his foot encased in the shadowy tentacles.  The body of the warrior deflated like a balloon as the featureless monster crawled out of it.  The tendrils continued to wrap their way around Battal, encasing him, suffocating him.  He grasped desperately for the nearest sword, but it was too far.  It was over.  He was dead. 

The tendrils reached his neck before a catlike shape burst out of the forest, leaping onto the creature.  It swung around, trying to shake the newcomer off, but it had a good grip.  It began tearing the tendrils from the shadow's main body.  The creature shrieked, its body going into uncontrollable spasms before turning into liquid and splattering the clearing in shadowy goop.  Battal shakily got to his feet, as Willette stood up, back in human form.  "Nice save."  He managed, before he drowned in his own blood from internal injuries and died on the spot.

(What a surprise, the longest one so far is the one where the most death happens.)

• Like 3

I never got the idea of combat in literature. It's a job that many forms of media can do infinitely better.

Depends on how charged your ''Imagination Reactors'' are. In fact graphical media, like movie or comic, do it easier but not necessarily better. A good written fight can immerse you as well as a movie scene. It's just another part of your brain involved.

is it that weird court of tailors thing I've been hearing about?

Hmmm?

Is it because they talk about a mysterious Lord H? That could mean anything from Horton to Holdemort. And the fact, that there is the possibility for a Court Member, of above average skill, to manufacture empty clothes that move on their own. Although the Coatmen are usually mute and aren't using weapons.

I must say I really enjoy the unfolding story and am highly curious about the next installment. Yay ^ ^

That doesn't even make sense.

but it can make a good children book.3BDVW5m.png... or a good reference to a cave spider story XD

Nice job on the new segment, battal! Glad you could overcome writer's block for now!... Jakob... Mhahahahah, good name. Pahahahah, why is it funny it is such a good name

• Like 1

Segment 12 1/2

There was a man. He also was a frog. He croaked. Very loudly. Then a spider found him. He died.

Segment Thirteen

"The Unlucky Number"

Tela-Manus dragged himself away from the bloodstained clearing, his hand clutched to a gaping would in his side.  Viscous liquid poured from the cut onto the forest floor, hissing and steaming upon contact with the dry leaves.  He knew he was dying, but all the same knew he must inform Lord H of the battle.  Reaching a large rock wall covered in faded markings, Tela reached up with all his strength and put his hand into a crevice in the stone.  "Apertum, et sanguis meus vere est corpus umbris nox."  He whispered.  The marks glowed with dark energy, and the door split into thirteen pieces.  Beyond, nothing could be seen but a faint red glow.  Tela-Manus pulled himself into this glow, and vanished with a puff of smoke.  The door reformed and the marks faded once more, as if nothing had happened at all.

The warrior bowed his head before the pale white eyes burning out of the darkness, then rose.  "Lord H...we have failed you.  The Deus Mortem escaped."

The eyes narrowed.  "Where are the rest of your little band, Tela Manus?"

The warrior lowered his eyes.  "They...they are dead.  Only I escaped."

Laughter rang out from the dark.  "You will wish you hadn't, Tela." 

Shadowy hands slithered out of the darkness towards the warrior, prompting him to fall to his knees in terror.

"No, wait!  Please!  There...there were others!"

The hands stopped in their tracks.  "Others?  Impossible.  I only brought one in.  Him."

"No.  There were others in the clearing.  Five others, in fact.  You must believe me!"

The eyes widened in surprise.  They considered for a moment, and then, the hands fully withdrew.  "Thank you for your aid, Tela-Manus.  This information is invaluable."

The hands rushed in again, grabbing the warrior by his legs and head.  They lifted him into the air, and began to pull.  The warrior screamed in pain as his torso began to separate from his lower body.

"But I cannot allow failure."

Black liquid splattered the clearing, and the screaming abruptly stopped.  The hands flung the limp pieces aside, and vanished into the shadows.  Lord H began to laugh as the eyes closed, leaving nothing but the small circle of light and the bloody corpse within.

but it can make a good children book.... or a good reference to a cave spider story XD

The hideous dog-sized spider was walking all about

It found a frog and tore its insides out

It chewed on its corpse, and, then it walked away

and the hideous dog-sized spider walked about again