Wednesday DLC Update - (third teaser) Part II

JoeW

Wow, a part II?? Yup, deal with it. 

I bet you weren't expecting this. Well, either was @Bryce when I stole his beta launch plans, right out of his greedy little hands. Quite literally, I took it from him and now I am posting it here. 

This is taken straight out of a working document, so it's not formatted in the normal forum-y way. 

Anyway, here you go. Enjoy!

Phase 1 - “Forums Beta”

What is it?

Beta via purchase through Humble Bundle widget, advertised through the forums and distributed through steam keys. It’s possible that this will be more widespread but only through word of mouth.

Overview

We’re looking to release a “forums beta” around the end of February or early March. This phase will include the content that is done and in need of polish. Many of the challenges are unfinished, but the framework for the what you can expect is in. It’s imbalanced and I’m sure there are a lot of bugs hiding all over the place, so join us in this phase if you want to help us set what will ultimately be the balance of the final product. Don’t join on this phase if you want the finished experience.

What’s in it?

In this phase, you’ll see the seasonal changes we’ve done and explore two new biomes. There are several new creatures around the world, and new craftable items to help you survive the new threats.

What’s yet to come?

The giants part of Reign of Giants are in an unfinished state and won’t be in this phase of the beta. Similarly, the new characters are not yet finished and won’t be playable. The new systems aren’t balanced yet, and may well be very easy or very difficult. There is also a few more creatures we’ve designed that aren’t in this build.

What’s our goal with this?

Gauge initial reactions to the content and set the initial balance of the systems. Collect and fix bugs.

Phase 2 - “Early Access Beta”

What is it?

The DLC released through Steam’s “Early Access” program to get a large number of players in the beta.

Overview

After our most dedicated fans on the forums have had a run through the main systems for Reign of Giants, we’re going to open it up to a larger amount of people by adding it to Steam’s Early Access program - possibly around the end of March or the start of April. The balance will be better and many of the bugs will be fixed by this point and can be tested at a larger scale. The DLC will also be content complete, containing the giants, characters and all the creatures. If you’re ok with seeing bugs, then join at this phase. Otherwise, wait for release!

What’s in it?

Everything.

What’s yet to come?

Bug fixes and more balance changes.

Make the content available to a larger number of people so we can catch as many bugs as possible. Make small balancing changes.

Phase 3 - “Release”

What is it?

The finished Reign of Giants DLC.

Overview

The DLC is finished and available to everyone through the steam store. We’ll advertise it through the game at this point. Sometime around early to mid April.

What’s in it?

Everything.

What’s yet to come?

Nothing I hope. Potentially some bug fixes or adjustments may be implemented if required.

Release an expansion pack that adds to the enjoyment of all Don’t Starve players by adding wide reaching content that is meaningful and interesting.

A round of applause, good sir.  The true mark of a gentleman is-

What’s yet to come?

Nothing I hope. Potentially some bug fixes or adjustments may be implemented if required.

Wait.

Nothing I hope.

o.o

Nothing

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am definitely confused now.. "Beta via purchase through Humble Bundle widget, advertised through the forums"

Where might one find this widget when it does mysteriously appears 0_0

In case of this seeming incredible naivety (As the forums don't display correctly on my monitor anyway) I take it the kind people of the forums will go ape when this does happen and make atleast 5 different threads when it does come ;)

Where does the Ps4 release stand in there? Obviously there won't be a pre release beta on playstation, but will the final release be concurrent or will us console gamers have to wait? (mini heart attack... The dlc is confirmed for ps4 right.... Right?!?!)

Where does the Ps4 release stand in there? Obviously there won't be a pre release beta on playstation, but will the final release be concurrent or will us console gamers have to wait? (mini heart attack... The dlc is confirmed for ps4 right.... Right?!?!)

Yes, the DLC is coming to PS4, however, we can't do a PS4 beta. So, once everything is squared away, it gets packed up for PS4. Because we don't have solid dates for this timeline and the DLC will have to get through certification, I can't give you any type of date for the PS4 DLC. 

LOL 

Best Update Thief 2014

Anyways, I really look forward to this all. I want to participate in the beta, and all that good stuff. I hope you guys are still working on a bunch of cool new stuff! Well, I don't hope that you work a lot, but, I, well.... Um.....

YOU GET WHAT I'M SAYING OKAY

Also before I finish this post, as usual, HAVE MY YES *Hands JoeW a sticky note with "YES" scribbled all over it*

JoeW, on 20 Feb 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:snapback.png

What’s yet to come?

for this dlc right?...maybe other dlc, update, expansion pack or something for sept. or even 2015 I hope ....You can't kill me like that!! ç_ç

anyway :) I'm glad to read all this news today :) I love my new poster/wallpaper <3

Archived