Artists wanted for mod project.

kraken121

@Scalepelexis great job :) just 1 suggestion...I think if you make the skin color and cloth color more different it will look even better...like maybe his clothes are made from the fire hound skin?? or grass??tentacle skin?? 

We do have design plans for several different types of goblins, besides the normal/fire/ice ones.

hmm..Maybe a couple tunic color variations for each one, might save us time in the long run, instead of coming back to design other models for them.

also I always find it gives better results if I think of the materials for any object/costume.....end result seems more cohesive to me that ways...and I suggested different color for body and dress so that player's eye focus on goblin's face more....

also I always find it gives better results if I think of the materials for any object/costume.....end result seems more cohesive to me that ways...and I suggested different color for body and dress so that player's eye focus on goblin's face more....

yeah, got that, kinda just a kill two birds with one stone thought :joyous:

That sounds good changing clothing color. Truth is color is my weak spot. I am red/green colorblind. And I feel that it's a major problem when putting color into a character. But that's what the critiques are for so thanks Soul.

When I first started painting the character I painted him way to small. So it was hard to add detail. Now i am doubling his size and keeping in mind that I have to cut the pieces out for spriter. So I am painting the arms with more skin so when his arm goes out it doesn't break. On top of doing that I can make his tunic look more like the grass from the game.

That sounds good changing clothing color. Truth is color is my weak spot. I am red/green colorblind. And I feel that it's a major problem when putting color into a character. But that's what the critiques are for so thanks Soul.

When I first started painting the character I painted him way to small. So it was hard to add detail. Now i am doubling his size and keeping in mind that I have to cut the pieces out for spriter. So I am painting the arms with more skin so when his arm goes out it doesn't break. On top of doing that I can make his tunic look more like the grass from the game.

hmmm curious, maybe grass, wood, marble? how much extra effort would that take?

Reason I ask, we have dungeons planned in design, would like to start on the first random dungeon, pretty much as soon as we get the goblin art. Giving us 3 different types of goblins that have 3 different types of tunics and ones without helms and ones with helms, makes a lot of different types to play with for variety/str reasons.

I stumbled upon this. I don't know if I have to time to make huge contributions, but I can sit here and stalk posts and make simple suggestions. If anyone know really good free paint programs, I might be able to do some art.... not that good though, might just give ideas through drawings

I stumbled upon this. I don't know if I have to time to make huge contributions, but I can sit here and stalk posts and make simple suggestions. If anyone know really good free paint programs, I might be able to do some art.... not that good though, might just give ideas through drawings

Before I was able to get my hands on Adobe I used an open source program called Paint.net. I read that with windows 7 they were suppose to contract with them to make it the default paint program. But that never happened. Anyway it has layers and filters, magic wand tool and other things you could find in Photoshop. Last time I got it for a friend the address was www.getpaint.net I hope this works for you.

But if you are interested I believe the Adobe Cloud cost $40 a month for all the adobe products.

Good luck.

Don't know about Paint.net but what about GIMP?

http://www.gimp.org/

The most popular open source 'photoshop replacement' (it actually reads psds too, for the most part), and you can likely get binaries for all known OSs being that it's open source. I wouldn't expect to find anything in non-commercial zone with more features that that.

I have heard about gimp a good bit and I didn't know it was open source. Paint.net does have a bit of a ms paint feel so I would second DeathDiciple's choice.

@Scalepelexis color blind to red/green!!!how do u manage to paint then?? great man :-) only technique i think that can help is paint the clothes in black,white and grays and then "overlay" red/green on it in Photoshop... also you can always send the rest of us the psd files and we can tweak them if needed.

@kraken121 painting different textures should be easy ....its the design new stuff that gets tiring :grin: also grass wood is fine but marble? i somehow always imagine goblins to be kinda stupid in technological stuff lol...so building sophisticated armor should be impossible for them?? however picking up player's possessions if left near them like hat/armor/backpack will suit them alot i think....obviously player has to fight to get them back ;)

@browniehound you can also download and install adobe's trial version Photoshop from their site

@Scalepelexis color blind to red/green!!!how do u manage to paint then?? great man :-) only technique i think that can help is paint the clothes in black,white and grays and then "overlay" red/green on it in Photoshop... also you can always send the rest of us the psd files and we can tweak them if needed.

@kraken121 painting different textures should be easy ....its the design new stuff that gets tiring :grin: also grass wood is fine but marble? i somehow always imagine goblins to be kinda stupid in technological stuff lol...so building sophisticated armor should be impossible for them?? however picking up player's possessions if left near them like hat/armor/backpack will suit them alot i think....obviously player has to fight to get them back ;)

@browniehound you can also download and install adobe's trial version Photoshop from their site

Yep, I like having psd/source formats too :)

And I definitely like the idea of humanoid mobs picking up weapons/armor off the floor, they should be smart enough to figure it's useful, goblins/orcs could probably 'fit into' human armor. However one would need to make the symbols players have ('swap_object', 'swap_body','swap_hat', did i forget anything?) so we can attach the graphics to them, 

If you start with either of the char templates as base, that should be already there tho... although it limits your freedom when making the char body, as equipment override gets 'painted' on top of the override the same no matter the character/player/mob in question.

Kinda like the idea of them having different suits though, especially maybe picking up gear thats on the ground. Maybe making some elite goblins that wear marble,

If you start with either of the char templates as base, that should be already there tho... although it limits your freedom when making the char body, as equipment override gets 'painted' on top of the override the same no matter the character/player/mob in question.

umm totally did not understand that...can you explain plz?? :)

Kinda like the idea of them having different suits though, especially maybe picking up gear thats on the ground. Maybe making some elite goblins that wear marble,

different suits IS cool :D and non marble suit was just my viewpoint...we can always make it hehe..maybe boss goblin?? how about increasing his size too?? small treeguard sized one maybe? also his generals can have the helmets while other low level ones are asorted?

umm totally did not understand that...can you explain plz?? :-)

different suits IS cool :grin: and non marble suit was just my viewpoint...we can always make it hehe..maybe boss goblin?? how about increasing his size too?? small treeguard sized one maybe? also his generals can have the helmets while other low level ones are asorted?

well, i do have design notes for 1. Goblin king (and yes, much larger and uglier lol ) 2. different hats for elite goblins, like guards, but both of these are for dungeons, which we will finish coding after we get the art for it.

Okay okay I'm working on it! Haha I can't wait to see the end result of all this feedback. I just wish I had more time to focus on it.

What if one of the goblins plucked a berry bush out of the ground and used that as their armor. It could even have the berries left on it. Haha just a thought.

Okay okay I'm working on it! Haha I can't wait to see the end result of all this feedback. I just wish I had more time to focus on it.

What if one of the goblins plucked a berry bush out of the ground and used that as their armor. It could even have the berries left on it. Haha just a thought.

hmm giving a goblin a bush with berries in it, just sounds  so dirty lol

Yeah, its an idea, but since ur using the spriter source assets anyway, they should not have a problem equipping bush hat. Could probably make a bush suit at some point for the goblins outside.

update,

Thief  (open again)

Druid (finished)

Barbarian (finished)

Shadow Knight (I wish Dana would do, cry...)

Cleric (being worked on)

Paladin (being worked on)

Gnome Tinkerer (this character will be a project in it's own, a lot of unique artwork needed for his creations)

Monk

Ranger

(we also need some monster art if anyone is interested, we currently have placeholder art for some)

Archived