For those of you who are interested in RPGs set in "low" fantasy (i.e. no elves or wizards) setting mixed with Lovecraftian (Cthulhu Mythos) horror, then why not take a look at the Darkest Dungeon? Red Hook Studios is currently running a Kickstarter campaign and they've made over $150K in 3 days so far. Here's a link to the KS campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

Or here's a link to the official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiBB3nBR-w

For those of you who are interested in RPGs set in "low" fantasy (i.e. no elves or wizards) setting mixed with Lovecraftian (Cthulhu Mythos) horror, then why not take a look at the Darkest Dungeon? Red Hook Studios is currently running a Kickstarter campaign and they've made over $150K in 3 days so far. Here's a link to the KS campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

Or here's a link to the official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiBB3nBR-w

hi Mobius

@Xjurwi, @Xjurwi!!!!!!

Well, I don't know, it's a thing dealing with flaws and RL phobias...wait this is liked by Klei TOO...never mind then I'm off!

Exactly. I'm sure the shared interest in Lovecraft played some part in that.

Edit; LOL I can play a Leper?! :grin:

Yes. Yes you can.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the various character classes, Game Trailers posted this short video discussing them:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/nspumz/darkest-dungeon-class-breakdown

Also, the Kickstarter campaign has now reached $175K and unlocked two more character classes, the Occultist and Man-at-Arms. My guess, based on my own expectations, is that the Occultist is like a rogue scholar, or professor, best suited for studying ancient evil tomes as are commonly discovered in the Cthulhu Mythos.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the various character classes, Game Trailers posted this short video discussing them:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/nspumz/darkest-dungeon-class-breakdown

Also, the Kickstarter campaign has now reached $175K and unlocked two more character classes, the Occultist and Man-at-Arms. My guess, based on my own expectations, is that the Occultist is like a rogue scholar, or professor, best suited for studying ancient evil tomes as are commonly discovered in the Cthulhu Mythos.

And here I was planning my Kickstarter contribution the beginning of next month, and ALREADY we got OCCULTIST and MAN-AT-ARMS, two of three of my fav playing things in RPG's! (Fav is Wizard, but that ain't happening here in the true high-fantasy way, so Lovecraftian occultist who learns too much fool it is!) 

And here I was planning my Kickstarter contribution the beginning of next month, and ALREADY we got OCCULTIST and MAN-AT-ARMS, two of three of my fav playing things in RPG's! (Fav is Wizard, but that ain't happening here in the true high-fantasy way, so Lovecraftian occultist who learns too much fool it is!) 

From the description in Update #5 on the Kickstarter, they had this to say about the Occultist: "His devotion to powers inhuman and energies cosmic have given him...disturbing...abilities to employ both in combat and around the campfire". I can only imagine what that means. Will he read bedtime stories from the Necronomicon to his teammates? :p

Still, I'm curious about the possibilities for group structure. For example, the Hellion is a pagan, so teaming her up with either the Crusader or Vestal might cause serious inter-party strife during camping. I think that's why in addition to the Vestal, the Plague Doctor is also a healer (of sorts), and would probably be a better match for a party using a Hellion.

Also, I wonder if you could create an entire party of Lepers? They would be immune to negative morale penalties due to their special ability, but healing them would be a pain.

Lastly, they haven't "revealed" the Jester (i.e. Bard) or Grave Robber classes yet. I also heard tell there may be something akin to a Merchant class, terrible at combat, but great in acquiring wealth.

From the description in Update #5 on the Kickstarter, they had this to say about the Occultist: "His devotion to powers inhuman and energies cosmic have given him...disturbing...abilities to employ both in combat and around the campfire". I can only imagine what that means. Will he read bedtime stories from the Necronomicon to his teammates? :razz:

Still, I'm curious about the possibilities for group structure. For example, the Hellion is a pagan, so teaming her up with either the Crusader or Vestal might cause serious inter-party strife during camping. I think that's why in addition to the Vestal, the Plague Doctor is also a healer (of sorts), and would probably be a better match for a party using a Hellion. 

Also, I wonder if you could create an entire party of Lepers? They would be immune to negative morale penalties due to their special ability, but healing them would be a pain.

Lastly, they haven't "revealed" the Jester (i.e. Bard) or Grave Robber classes yet. I also heard tell there may be something akin to a Merchant class, terrible at combat, but great in acquiring wealth.

My Occultist:

Yes my Pretty One, my tales do stare back at you when being told. Let's hear another one...that was never supposed to be revealed again....

The Hellion stays "sane" longer at the cost of ruining your inter-party-relations faster.  From what I got (video and reading the text screenshots of the class) the Plague doctor's healing works...sometimes, and I'm betting when that healing fails, it really lowers resolve. if they have some sort of portable consumable healing, a party of Lepers could work, but betting that healing chance could fail too. 

I saw the same video as you, so assuming the merchant class is there. Phat Lewts quickly, but hope for no (serious) combat with (checks how referred) him. The thought of risking it all for quick wealth having a party of only them? HEHEHE, tempting indeed. 

The Houndmaster...well, anybody who ever liked Mr. Burns' statement will be curious. 

I'm sure the Jester and/or Bard class(es) are being tinkered on still and why it/they is/are not revealed yet. Everybody loves a fool; nobody wants them to stick around after the show is over though. I have a feeling you can't abandon him around a campfire and come back to him without...consequences though. No clue on Grave Robber and not sure how "bounties" work exactly with the Bounty Hunter class (but got the rest of it.) 

Maybe the occultist tells a dark secret, which scars a party member with a terrible debuff. However, they become immune to obtaining phobias as nothing scares them anymore. Potentially scares the non targeted party members.

From what I got (video and reading the text screenshots of the class) the Plague doctor's healing works...sometimes, and I'm betting when that healing fails, it really lowers resolve. if they have some sort of portable consumable healing, a party of Lepers could work, but betting that healing chance could fail too.

I know healing items have been discussed. In a low-fantasy setting I prefer such items to be grounded in realism, so an item like bandages rather than healing potions. The item could/should be applied only during camping (not combat) and then provide a small health restoration, which gradually heals the character over time (until expended). As I understand it some wounds/injuries require you to bench characters in town for a while until they heal (if you want to remove the penalty the physical injury is causing), which reminds me of X-Com and the need to always keep a back-up roster in situations where a main character is taken out due to severe injuries.

I saw the same video as you, so assuming the merchant class is there. Phat Lewts quickly, but hope for no (serious) combat with (checks how referred) him. The thought of risking it all for quick wealth having a party of only them? HEHEHE, tempting indeed.

Yup. I especially liked his suggestion of 3 merchants and 1 grave robber, racing through a dungeon and trying to avoid serious trouble while looting everything. :-)

I'm sure the Jester and/or Bard class(es) are being tinkered on still and why it/they is/are not revealed yet. Everybody loves a fool; nobody wants them to stick around after the show is over though. I have a feeling you can't abandon him around a campfire and come back to him without...consequences though.

Well from what I've heard so far the Jester will serve as a "Bard", as far as Darkest Dungeon is concerned. As you can imagine he's like the merchant class, not useful in combat, but in his case very useful at raising morale when camping.

No clue on Grave Robber and not sure how "bounties" work exactly with the Bounty Hunter class (but got the rest of it.)

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the bounty hunter will benefit from the inclusion of Bandits (as per the stretch goal). My guess is that the bounty hunter earns extra coin for the party whenever they kill bandits, as he would then collect on their bounties back in town.

Well the Kickstarter campaign has reached another milestone, having reached $200K. As per the stretch goal the game will now have 20% more content, which will be focused around new dungeon and monster designs (a new "set").

In addition there was talk about new character class reveals. One of those classes is the Jester, the artwork for which was shown off on TwitchTV last night. The design for the Jester is like a cross between a classic court jester and the Scarecrow (i.e. Batman), with his weapon of choice being the short sword (long blade dagger?) and vicious hand sickle. We're told the Jester's personality will be a bit twisted and dark, as one would expect from a jester who spends his time fighting abomination in underground ruins. However, the Jester will come with a lute and plays songs while camping... just don't expect them to be merry tunes.

Well the Kickstarter campaign has reached another milestone, having reached $200K. As per the stretch goal the game will now have 20% more content, which will be focused around new dungeon and monster designs (a new "set").

In addition there was talk about new character class reveals. One of those classes is the Jester, the artwork for which was shown off on TwitchTV last night. The design for the Jester is like a cross between a classic court jester and the Scarecrow (i.e. Batman), with his weapon of choice being the short sword (long blade dagger?) and vicious hand sickle. We're told the Jester's personality will be a bit twisted and dark, as one would expect from a jester who spends his time fighting abomination in underground ruins. However, the Jester will come with a lute and plays songs while camping... just don't expect them to be merry tunes.

So he's the bard in a sense...could be interesting how/if his songs interact with his stress levels.

So he's the bard in a sense...could be interesting how/if his songs interact with his stress levels.

Yes, it would be interesting if, as the Jester's stress level becomes higher his songs become more disturbing and grim, countering any benefits they might have brought to the group during camping, if not having a negative impact.

Archived