True LAN Coop - Proposition

Crynux

Well, of course you don't get sanity back from killing them in caves. Your mind didn't summon them, emerphish. It's only a different mob from a technical code standpoint. And no, the hallucinations are Shadow Creatures, Their creatures.

Okay so I was wrong about the last part. But also not only does it help make the code easier, they could very well be different things.

Now, if Crynux doesn't want to sync Shadow Creatures because of the coding, then that's okay. I'd like for him to admit so. That's all.

I don't think admit is the right word, especially since there is sufficient evidence on both sides that we can't even reach the final conclusion of "are they really hallucinations".

I just thought of Mandrakes.. How will they work? You know, if you cook or eat one, part of the day skips. So how will that work for other players? I think it will be annoying, other players "skipping my day". Or this feature won't be implemented at all?

The second thing, maps. I thought of three possible options:

1) Every player will have their map, functioning like in single player

2) Everybody can see other players, and are they discovered

3) Everybody can see other players, but just area they discovered by themselfs

Your thoughts on this?

Saying that Mandrakes time effects, as Desblat suggested, will not work is a bit of a false statement. Since players will not be able to skip time as they do in the normal game, they obviously cannot skip time when eating a Mandrake. I do have plans, however, to let them have some effect on time.

Along with this, it should be mentioned that there will be new/custom time mechanics in the mod, as all time will be (and currently is partly) server controlled.

Regarding the map, you will have a normal map as in single player, it's just that in order to see the same map, all users of the mod would have to have the same savegame. I have a plan to better this system in the future, but for now, it works!

Players will not be able to see each other on the map, as it can make it too easy to find each other, and allows trolls to murder actual players.

As Desblat said, you will only have parts of the map that you explore revealed.

Now, if Crynux doesn't want to sync Shadow Creatures because of the coding, then that's okay. I'd like for him to admit so. That's all.

I consider them hallucinations, whether they're defined as shadow creatures or not. The fact still stands that when you do go insane, they appear, despite also being in caves. It is also true that when you go insane, rabbits turn to Beardlings and such too. Because of this, I consider them a figment of the character's imagination.

It should also be noted that in such a situation it would be possible for a player to see beardlings while insane, and another sane player see normal rabbits. Hence, it follows that if a player is insane, they see these shadowy things attacking them and other players do not.

It has nothing to do with coding... but more with making sense.

Thanks to all,

-Crynux

Unfortunately, that also brings up the confusion of how an insane player will see monster meat from a beardling, and another player will see a morsel. But it's far beyond me to question game logic at this point.

We've customized the drops. Rabbits/Beardlings always drop a Morsel, however they have a chance of dropping some Beardhair.. Monster meat was removed from their drop list.

Crynux, the "hallucinations" aren't actually hallucinations. The caves proved that much. They're actual Shadow Creatures. Therefore, I think it would make sense if the creatures were synced. I say this because down in the caves, you get harassed by "hallucinations" that attack you, no matter what your sanity level is. Low sanity causes your mind to conjure them into reality.

Ah yes... I forgot about that tab bit of information, although I do believe that it makes more sense as a sanity thing. What I'll be thinking while I play is rather than they come to your plain of existence, that you are between the normal world and theirs O.o. Just an overlap, it would make sense and then we are all happy. AKA: You go to them, rather than them to us. Not fully go to them, like a venn diagramm you can be seen by both sides, while the two sides can't see each other. You are in the middle.

If that makes any sense.

Ah yes... I forgot about that tab bit of information, although I do believe that it makes more sense as a sanity thing. What I'll be thinking while I play is rather than they come to your plain of existence, that you are between the normal world and theirs O.o. Just an overlap, it would make sense and then we are all happy. AKA: You go to them, rather than them to us. Not fully go to them, like the double circle graph thing (can't recall its name at the moment) you can be seen by both sides, while the two sides can't see each other. You are in the middle.

If that makes any sense.

Venn Diagram

Hm.....alright. I'd imagine a more balanced rate is 5-10%. Considering there can be more than one player getting beard hair for effigies. Which reminds me, (sorry if you mentioned this already and I forgot) how are Meat Effigies being balanced out in this?

Yeah, we made the item drop lists yesterday. We still have to test them a little, to see how the chances pan out.

Regarding the Meat Effigies... at the moment we aren't doing anything special for them. In the beta we may even disable them. Although it would be technically possible to have them either player specific, or global, there hasn't been a concrete decision on what to do with them yet. What do you think?

-Crynux

(EDIT: I used them too much in this post. I apologize.)

I would say that you should give a good deal of server owner-control over what they do. Add an option that disables them altogether, but for those who want them, modify the recipe. Make it require a bit more beard hair to make, and put in a limit of 3 per player(also modifiable.) Make the players work a bit for their precious revivals.

Generally, I would make them global.

Also, nice catch on the them thing.

What happens when a player dies?

Also, for meat effigies, I think if you were to build one you could revive your dead friends, or just one, whatever is fine.

The reason I bring this up is if they just die and spectate the other player or something for a really long time, they could get bored and leave. And no one wants that.

What happens when a player dies?

Also, for meat effigies, I think if you were to build one you could revive your dead friends, or just one, whatever is fine.

The reason I bring this up is if they just die and spectate the other player or something for a really long time, they could get bored and leave. And no one wants that.

I recon when players die they should re-spawn but the game will behave as if its their first time spawning; for instance they loose all of their discovered map.

I recon when players die they should re-spawn but the game will behave as if its their first time spawning; for instance they loose all of their discovered map.

If the player dies, half of items he was keeping are deleted other half is dropped. Character will be re-spawned in the random place of the map loosing all progress (map discovered etc.). Also may be add some penalty. Have no ideas for now about what penalty we will add.

Player won't be able to re-spawn using items. Death is death, no escape.

Also I was thinking about walking skeleton keeping all dead player items appearing while player dies, so you cannot get your items back until kill skeleton...

If the player dies, half of items he was keeping are deleted other half is dropped. Character will be re-spawned in the random place of the map loosing all progress (map discovered etc.). Also may be add some penalty. Have no ideas for now about what penalty we will add.

Also I was thinking about walking skeleton keeping all dead player items appearing while player dies, so you cannot get your items back until kill skeleton...

I think lower health, hunger and sanity as a penalty would serve just fine. Meat effigies and Touch stones would be player - based, and they would have advantage, as not deleting your items (just dropping them instead), not deleting your map and not inculding the respawn penalty. But still though, I don't know any of the coding so I don't even know if is this possible

My personal opinion is that every time you die, it will take off 10% of your max stats. (wx can't get them back) Up to a minimum 50 of each.

I think that wouldn't work. After some time, everybody would be very weak and they couldn't get their strenght back. But I think that temporary 10% loss wouldn't be so bad

How about just make re-spawning just like touch stones?  You die you spawn at the servers "spawn" with low hp, sanity, & hunger with no items.

Or an alternative I would enjoy is make it hardcore death = "ban" like maybe that character is no longer playable.

Or another alt. is simply death = your done unless you have a respawn item.

This is incorrect. We haven't discussed player death in detail yet.

In the beta, there will be a designated spawning place, where all players spawn.

Death will be simple, you die, your stuff drops, a static skeleton spawns, and you're disconnected from the server.

To replay on the server, just reconnect, and the character you were playing will be reset.

As for item respawns, it again, hasn't been decided what to do with things such as the Life Giving Amulet. Ultimately, it should work as it does in the normal game, for beta though, it may just be disabled.

-Crynux

Wow, i love your devotion to this! it must be tricky with Uni.  If you get this working i will adore you! xD

Klei could have done Multiplayer himself by having two launches, 1 devoted to multiplayer and 1 for single player. Both would have different scripts but to buy both would be more. :) good luck!

Wow, i love your devotion to this! it must be tricky with Uni.  If you get this working i will adore you! xD

Klei could have done Multiplayer himself by having two launches, 1 devoted to multiplayer and 1 for single player. Both would have different scripts but to buy both would be more. :-) good luck!

Thanks for the support!

When do you think this will be finished because im hyped up for it!

I can't say a concrete date yet. There is still much left to do. Beta will hopefully be released sometime in the summer.

Thanks

-Crynux

Archived