Let's have some fun: A challenge to the Modding community

also check it out, they have color now! and sliiiiightly updated designs.

CUTIES!! (I really love her glasses!)

My favourite colours are black, purple, and green.

I swear, it's like you're just trying to make me squeal. x3

I think the trees should take, say, 3 days to grow to full size. Having multiple states like the Evergreens, so we can watch them grow.

(I won't lie, I mostly just think it'd be great fun watching the trees buff up or get curvy... but a full-grown tree popping up instantly from one piece of planted fruit... that really doesn't feel right.)

Maybe three levels of hormone activity?

Over two thirds, and everything functions normally.

Over one third, and things are a bit weaker. (Character gets lethargic: Strength and movement speed drop a bit. Sanity & dysphoria drains are worse, etc.)

Below one third, and everything is very difficult. Much stronger sanity drains, much slower movement speed, much lower strength...

One piece of fruit, and one day's worth of draining should give and take (respectively) a third of the meter. (This is just my opinion - it feels balanced, this way - and allows the player to make the choice between eating the fruit to alleviate the symptoms of the meter getting low, or bearing with the symptoms for a day in order to plant another tree.)

(Sorry if this is coming off as me being pushy, and trying to force you to do things my way, or something - it's just such a fabulous idea that it really sparked a lot of ideas for me!)

The main thing I'm not sure about is how the dysphoria meter should work... when it's wilting, wearing pretty, or dapper items should help raise it... and when it's wilting, it drains the sanity meter...

But what causes it to wilt?

I think it's a great and important mechanic... I mean, dysphoria is one of the hardest things trans people have to deal with, so I feel like representing that in-game is a great way to educate people... but I'm not sure what makes sense to make it drain.

If you do simply consolidate it into one hormone-based meter, you should use the wilting flower for that.

I really love the wilting flower symbolism. =)

The great thing about the forums, here, is that there's a lot of really clever people who can help out.

I am actually not a great coder, but I have been told my "instincts" about it are pretty good - I'll definitely be around to try and point you in the right direction, and generally help however I can.

There's been a lot of different things done in my Link mod (Including the addition of a custom meter!) so there's likely a lot you could figure out from things done in that.

You can likely learn a lot of what you'll need for the trees from the evergreen, pinecone, and berry bush prefabs (for growing, planting, and spawning harvestable fruit.)

Just see what you can figure out, and if you get stuck, post to the forums, asking how you would do something! The folks here are nice and helpful, so someone clever will usually be able to solve your problem, if you're patient. =)

I definitely will! And I don't think your suggestions are pushy at all, they're all very sensible and I like them a lot! I think I'll start with the trees, since those feel like they might take the most coding work out of everything and also have the most involved artwork, and ponder over what to do about the meters in the meantime.

I've changed my mind on doing the characters. I think instead of doing a stereotypical gay man and a more "normal" man, It'll be kind of a "Gay Beauty and the Beast" thing. I'll start sketching after I finish eating these cheese and crackers.

I definitely will! And I don't think your suggestions are pushy at all, they're all very sensible and I like them a lot! I think I'll start with the trees, since those feel like they might take the most coding work out of everything and also have the most involved artwork, and ponder over what to do about the meters in the meantime.

This should at least help you make the meter itself:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31633-making-a-specific-characters-sanity-badge-look-different/#entry416320

And there's code in the Link mod to get the custom meter to show up. (It's just not hooked up to raise/lower, yet.)

I've changed my mind on doing the characters. I think instead of doing a stereotypical gay man and a more "normal" man, It'll be kind of a "Gay Beauty and the Beast" thing. I'll start sketching after I finish eating these cheese and crackers.

disneythe-beast.jpg

I've heard of "Bears" but this is ridiculous.

[cackles]

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

disneythe-beast.jpg

I've heard of "Bears" but this is ridiculous.

[cackles]

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Drawing it now. Eating cheese and crackers somehow turned into making and eating Mac and Cheese (it was soooo guuhd!). XD I'll post the picture in an edit of this post soon.

EDIT: Turns out trying to jut sketch characters before drawing them doesn't work out too well. But, ahh... I'll try my best.

ANOTHER EDIT: Here's my horrible attempt at drawing a rough sketch for two characters (I draw the atlas first, most of the time. Don't know why it doesn't work the other way), but here re the heads! The "beauty" one's hair will be less "up" and more curled in the final version. I just did a REALLY rough one because I knew what he'd look like, but I was experimenting with the "Beast".

post-286034-0-54500800-1393047957_thumb.

It'd be really cool if someone did a mod adding a small chance to make a beefalo asexual, making them always neutral, even in heat. That doesn't mean they can't be heteroromantic (or panromantic, since they're practically a one-gender species), so there could a chance to have a portion of the asexual beefalo breed.

Wow, this thread got suddenly quiet. Was it something I said? :-/ Anyway, I thought you all might be interested in this considering the topic here.

http://www.dccc.org/page/s/AZ-Discrimination?fb_action_ids=10201431589613772&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Oh, geez... another one?

See, this is what I was talking about. One law sets precedent for more.

Kansas did the exact same thing.

It's despicable. I cannot stand when people justify their own hatred on grounds of "religious beliefs" or "child safety" or whatever other scapegoat they want to hide behind, instead of saying that they find it "icky" and don't want to get cooties.

It'd be really cool if someone did a mod adding a small chance to make a beefalo asexual, making them always neutral, even in heat. That doesn't mean they can't be heteroromantic (or panromantic, since they're practically a one-gender species), so there could a chance to have a portion of the asexual beefalo breed.

Being in heat is a physical & hormonal thing - the aggressive reaction would still occur in an asexual beefalo.

There's no distinction between male and female beefalo - I think they may be either hermaphrodites, or actually reproduce asexually. (It would explain why the whole species is identical. =P)

I think they may be either hermaphrodites, or actually reproduce asexually. (It would explain why the whole species is identical. =P)

In one of my old saves, I had one of those lone islands connected to the mainland only by a wormhole, and there was a single Beefalo living there. Day 16, there was suddenly a baby, so I'm guessing they do reproduce asexually. XD

Oh, geez... another one?

See, this is what I was talking about. One law sets precedent for more.

Kansas did the exact same thing.

It's despicable. I cannot stand when people justify their own hatred on grounds of "religious beliefs" or "child safety" or whatever other scapegoat they want to hide behind, instead of saying that they find it "icky" and don't want to get cooties.

I'll be honest and say I really don't pay much attention to most news unless someone in my isolated little world points it out to me. I wasn't aware Kansas had already done this too. I'm honestly surprised at this stuff. I thought humanity was somewhat evolving.. which it is in some places, but this.. this is disgusting. It doesn't even seem real. Unfortunately I guess it is. And it's incredibly sad.

Answer.  You're easily offended when there is no reason to be. Honestly thats the only reason that could exist. Someone speaking up for things they believe in (as long as they dont belittle someone else) should not cause you to feel ruffled. if it does you should try to figure out why so that YOU are happier in life.

This isn't about ruffling feathers so much as it is about solidarity and pride in being part of a community that many people would seek to beat down and silence. The only feathers that should be ruffled are the feathers of people are themselves bigoted. Anyone else would understand that this is a positive coming together of people who wish to support each other and create things that speak to them on a personal level, thing which are often ignored or not addressed or stamped out unless people like us go out of their way to create them.

I'd agree with seronis -- examine why this bothers you, because it really shouldn't.

This isn't about ruffling feathers so much as it is about solidarity and pride in being part of a community that many people would seek to beat down and silence. The only feathers that should be ruffled are the feathers of people are themselves bigoted. Anyone else would understand that this is a positive coming together of people who wish to support each other and create things that speak to them on a personal level, thing which are often ignored or not addressed or stamped out unless people like us go out of their way to create them.

I'd agree with seronis -- examine why this bothers you, because it really shouldn't.

This exactly.

I couldn't put it any better.

The only feathers that will be ruffled are the ones that need ruffling.

If a marginalised group coming together to make their presence known bothers you, you need to take a step back and ask yourself why.

This is one of my favourite speeches to show people:

Make sure you watch until the end.

I think *part* of the point WAS to "ruffle some feathers", but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Changing an issue like this just doesn't happen without that. Part of the point of showing support and solidarity, in my opinion, is to change people's opinions/beliefs on a topic when those opinions/beliefs hurt people(i.e. lead some people who have them to be abusive or violent). It's why you don't see people making a point of being supportive and unified about "humans need to eat food"... everyone already knows this, so it doesn't need to be changed, and therefore there's really know point in being unified and supportive over this. And please don't pick on my example about eating food. It's the point, not the example itself.

It's a slow process, but it DOES help. You maybe start to change one person's mind who would never be violent, or even rude to a someone who is LGBT, but maybe they just feel slightly uncomfortable with it. Then as that person changes, people around them who trust them, but are maybe slightly more bigoted/uncomfortable start to change because they respect that person and who they are. And so on and so forth, until every little bit helps.

I like the phrase "rock the boat" myself, just.. well I dont know. Just because it goes with my metaphor better lol. In this case, the "boat" that needs to be "rocked" is full of the people on Steam who think it's ok to be mean and abusive to, or about, the LGBT community. Or the people who think it's ok to sit by and watch this without speaking up.

And to that, a quote from one of my favorite movies -

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

- Boondock Saints

It's...

It's a...

STEAM-BOAT!!

[banished for terrible jokes]

Boondock Saints is a fabulous film, too. xP

Lmao! I can't believe I didn't notice that. Terrible jokes are usually my specialty.

And hell yes it's a great movie. That's the movie that inspired me to take out criminals in my own city vigilante style.. er.. wait. I mean.. uhh.. *cough*.. what were we talking about?

Archived