Let's have some fun: A challenge to the Modding community

Okay, so, as most of you are aware, I've been unable to do anything much in the way of work for months, now.

This is still the case, unfortunately, but I did take a few days and put together a small patch for my Link mod, as a bit of silly fun, and more importantly, to spread a message.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=227043510

Predictably, if you check the comments, you will see a lot of homophobia being hurled around, to varying degrees.

I uploaded this to the workshop so it would find an audience that wouldn't normally see it. A large portion of gamers are, quite frankly, homophobic little shits.

While this response is precisely what I expected... it's still pretty lousy.

What the Don't Starve Workshop needs is a bigger voice.

We need more Gay Pride mods!

So I issue my challenge to you, fellow modders - let's get some gay pride flowing in the workshop!
Make a craftable Rainbow Flag item. Add a gay pride costume to your custom character. Get as creative as you can! Drown out the hate with some love!

Subscribe to the pride mods, and boost them up the ranks - fill the whole "most popular this week" page with gay pride!

Let's get that voice heard - let's spread the message that homophobia isn't cool. And let's do it in a place nobody expected.

Good luck, everyone! And have fun!

As much as I support the cause, I don't think this board should be a place for politics. I mean, you'd probably get pretty pissed off if someone made a "mod challenge" (obvious bait btw) for gay bashing, or why not some white power cause? You probably think you are in the right, but you obviously know others don't. So the political discussions begin... and probably shouldn't happen on these forums, at least.

I admire the gay Link, I thought it looked funny and well done. But I still hope this is the last politically charged "mod challenge" we see on these forums... ever.

As a straight white american male, i dont understand why people confuse human equality with politics. There is nothing wrong with encouraging themes that promote non discriminatory behavior. This isnt politics. 

Human rights and politics are damn closely intertwined. I would consider it a political issue because it defines how society functions, and people don't agree one way or the other.

And anyway, guess what country is famous for not ratifying human rights declarations and implementing them? The good ol' US of A. That shining beacon of freedom and hope, and all that stuff. But don't worry - this thread isn't political.

As a straight white american male, i dont understand why people confuse human equality with politics. There is nothing wrong with encouraging themes that promote non discriminatory behavior. This isnt politics. 

Human rights and politics are damn closely intertwined. I would consider it a political issue because it defines how society functions, and people don't agree one way or the other.

And anyway, guess what country is famous for not ratifying human rights declarations and implementing them? The good ol' US of A. That shining beacon of freedom and hope, and all that stuff. But don't worry - this thread isn't political.

My challenge is not political.

There may be political issues tied to the subject, but really, my point is that it shouldn't be. Gay rights should not be something we have to fight for.

The unending stream of hateful comments I have been getting stands as a monument to the fact that things are pretty awful... but it's not about the political aspect.

This challenge is like Mardi Gras - it's just about being seen and heard.

I'm not pushing a petition. I'm not insisting you write an angry letter to someone.

I'm just challenging those who are interested and supportive to make something gay for the workshop. To say that we're here; we're not going away; and you can't treat us like ****.

I feel Steam is the platform this needs to happen, precisely because it's not a political place. This is... performance art.

I ask you to think about how people would react to a mod celebrating black history, or women's rights.

People (I would hope) wouldn't freak the **** out - but they are about a mod promoting gay rights.

If we were living in the 50s, the reaction to the aforementioned examples... well, they would freak the **** out.

And this is my point:

It shouldn't need to be an issue. I want to bring the Mardi Gras sentiment to the Don't Starve Workshop - you can't sweep us aside and treat us like dirt. We're here to stay. There's more of us than you probably realise. Get the **** used to it.

This is interesting. I was kind of on the fence when the politics thing was mentioned, but Dana, when you made the point about black history and women's rights, I don't think anyone would have dared to hate on the idea and that sold it for me. 

As much as I support the cause, I don't think this board should be a place for politics. I mean, you'd probably get pretty pissed off if someone made a "mod challenge" (obvious bait btw) for gay bashing, or why not some white power cause? You probably think you are in the right, but you obviously know others don't. So the political discussions begin... and probably shouldn't happen on these forums, at least.

I admire the gay Link, I thought it looked funny and well done. But I still hope this is the last politically charged "mod challenge" we see on these forums... ever.

I think this is rather harsh. I don't think there was any "bait" about it. And comparing her idea to someone making a mod challenge about gay bashing or white power? Strange.. to say the least.

Anyway, I'm just beginning to figure out how to make mods, so I don't know when/if I can accomplish something, but I love the idea and I'll try it. Personally, I kind of think you're wasting energy if your point is to actually affect the Steam community in any way at all though. The intention is great, but I've had wonderful discussions on numerous other venues(tech and art forums, facebook, and various other places) and Steam is possibly the worst social scene I've ever experienced. I'm relatively new to Steam(about a year) and I originally thought that a gaming community would be full of cool, artistic, fun people. Other than the very rare exception, I've had an almost impossible time having even one single enjoyable and/or intelligent discussion on Steam that didn't end up degrading into ridiculousness by the end(maybe I'm in the wrong sections?). I'm always up for rocking the boat, but please don't get your hopes up at really accomplishing much on Steam itself.

I have absolutely no delusions that posting some mods celebrating the LGBT community are going to all-of-a-sudden eradicate homophobia, or somehow change the attitudes of hundreds of people.

It's just about standing in solidarity - showing people that we're proud/supportive, and won't be locked away and forgotten.

It'll ruffle some feathers, but it's mostly about fun, and showing others that the support is there. =)

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you had any delusions. I just get so disappointed in the Steam community sometimes. Anyway, I think this is a great chance for me to maybe do a simpler mod project than the one I've been trying to do and just maybe make an item so I can actually complete a project. Lol.

I cant do anything about the steam community but i do smack my nephews and neice in the back of the head on the rare occasions they use the word 'gay' as a slur (actually with any kind of slur).

Also anyone who makes the gay pride flag. It should radiate a +sanity aura. gay == happy after all.

Ok, so I'm working on a rainbow flag mod. I'm pretty new to all this.. the art, animation, coding, etc. so please be nice :-) Here's the art I have so far, which took me forever and a day for such a seemingly simple thing. Haven't even started trying to code it yet. Anyway, I think I'll just have them, or just one(?), randomly placed on the ground, maybe near your spawn point(I imagine crafting is harder to code until I learn more...). My first thought is that when you carry it, any/all creatures and mobs in the game will turn friendly and "march" with you around the map. Might make for some funny youtube vids if I can do it right.. to see treeguards, spider queens, and whatever else marching around with you. Thoughts?

Btw, why is there no way to just directly attach an image to this post without just linking to my site?

7370161_orig.png

Ok, so I'm working on a rainbow flag mod. I'm pretty new to all this.. the art, animation, coding, etc. so please be nice :-) Here's the art I have so far, which took me forever and a day for such a seemingly simple thing. Haven't even started trying to code it yet. Anyway, I think I'll just have them, or just one(?), randomly placed on the ground, maybe near your spawn point(I imagine crafting is harder to code until I learn more...). My first thought is that when you carry it, any/all creatures and mobs in the game will turn friendly and "march" with you around the map. Might make for some funny youtube vids if I can do it right.. to see treeguards, spider queens, and whatever else marching around with you. Thoughts?

Btw, why is there no way to just directly attach an image to this post without just linking to my site?

7370161_orig.png

Ahaha, that sounds great fun!

I would suggest thicker outlines - your art has very thin lines, so it looks a little jarring against the thick lines of Don't Starve's art. =)

Yeah, I thought about that. I thought I had a handle on the basics of GIMP but.. I didn't. It took me so long already I was just anxious to get a first draft posted. This any better?

I think I'll try to flip the perspective of the flag folds too, but after trying to do it just now, I realized I'll have to redo all the colors with how I did it, so it'll take me a bit.

7375900_orig.png

I'm wondering if I should make the mod I was planning to do instead of William a while back, featuring a man who could summon his husband to help him with chopping trees, fighting, giving him sanity boosts, ect. If I did, it would have to wait a bit. I was thinking of making one of them the super stereotypical gay man with blonde hair, a tight pink shirt, and short-short, and the other being a man with a plain red T-Shirt, black hair, and some plain black trousers.

EDIT: I'm also even more tempted to make the effeminate one, me. Although I hate wearing colour because any colour apart from blue makes my skin look like I lost every drop of blood in my body... I'm that pale, so the pink clothing part wouldn't really make sense on me...

I'm wondering if I should make the mod I was planning to do instead of William a while back, featuring a man who could summon his husband to help him with chopping trees, fighting, giving him sanity boosts, ect. If I did, it would have to wait a bit. I was thinking of making one of them the super stereotypical gay man with blonde hair, a tight pink shirt, and short-short, and the other being a man with a plain red T-Shirt, black hair, and some plain black trousers.

EDIT: I'm also even more tempted to make the effeminate one, me. Although I hate wearing colour because any colour apart from blue makes my skin look like I lost every drop of blood in my body... I'm that pale, so the pink clothing part wouldn't really make sense on me...

Sounds fabulous! <3

Love the combo of ultra-camp and completely average. (Most homophobes don't seem to realise it's possible to be gay and not conform to ridiculous camp stereotypes. Just like how they don't seem to realise that not all lesbians are hardcore butch.)

(We're completely indistinguishable from any other human beings! WE HAVE INFILTRATED. ;P)

I'm the palest - people used to grab me, and expose my skin to sunlight, just to watch it change colour. (I burn so fast you can watch it happen.)

I wear nothing but black, so, I end up looking pretty much undead. |D

I'd suggest blues, lighter greys, and whites, if you're looking for fashion tips. Blue jeans, white shirts, white sneakers. Should complement your (presumably) blonde hair and blue eyes. White button-shirts would look sharp, but the jeans make it a little more casual... or you could go full casual and just stick to white t-shirts...

I'm not really much for guy-fashion, admittedly... but all my friends come to me for fashion advice, and I kinda just... "Here is your new outfit! Go, now, and dazzle the world, darling!!" |D

I'm the palest - people used to grab me, and expose my skin to sunlight, just to watch it change colour. (I burn so fast you can watch it happen.)

I wear nothing but black, so, I end up looking pretty much undead. |D

I'm never outside without my light grey striped hoodie, and wear pretty much everything you suggested. :p. And yeah, I know what you mean about people thinking all gay men are like how I described. I most certainly am not the manliest of guys (in fact, a transgender friend of mine said they were jealous of my womanly face), but I'm still far from the stereotype. Also, how some people think that if you're a gay guy you want ALL the dicks! Well, I;ll add the mod idea to the list!

I like the idea. I think you should make the one that is more like you. It would be more personal to you when you play.

So being that I'm not gay myself, and I'm not super familiar with a lot of gay culture(more than probably most heterosexual men in the midwest, but not as much as some people), I get apprehensive about expressing my ideas here. For anyone in this thread, please know that if an idea comes off as offensive or stereotyping in a bad way, I truly don't intend that.

That being said.. would it be funny or.. too much?/insulting?.. if the music started playing something like "I'm coming out" or "YMCA" when marching around with all the mobs? Or other song ideas?

I'm still working on this btw. It's just been a long week, I'm a perfectionist, and I have a lot more to learn than I realized.

Ok, just finished tweaking the graphics. Muted the colors to fit the game palette better thanks to a tip from Dryicefox. Learned a better way for the colors with gradients rather than smudging like I was doing, and changed the perspective of the flag around. I know it's just a simple little flag, but it's been a good learning experience for me with GIMP. So any critiques/suggestions?

Then I can start coding my fun little Don't Starve march. :grin:

7841301.png

So being that I'm not gay myself, and I'm not super familiar with a lot of gay culture(more than probably most heterosexual men in the midwest, but not as much as some people), I get apprehensive about expressing my ideas here. For anyone in this thread, please know that if an idea comes off as offensive or stereotyping in a bad way, I truly don't intend that.

I myself am not offended by nearly anything. That said, the worst that's ever happened to me personally is someone telling me a bad knock-knock joke in the hopes I would some-how lose the gay. The joke goes like this: "Knock knock." "Who's there?" "God hates..." "God hates who?" "Fags."

I myself am not offended by nearly anything. That said, the worst that's ever happened to me personally is someone telling me a bad knock-knock joke in the hopes I would some-how lose the gay. The joke goes like this: "Knock knock." "Who's there?" "God hates..." "God hates who?" "Fags."

Well that's just.. wow. I live in the bible belt, so I have to hear that crap from people who assume I will just agree and want to highfive about it just because I'm straight and I live in the midwest I guess. It's just dumb.

I like the idea. I think you should make the one that is more like you. It would be more personal to you when you play.

That being said.. would it be funny or.. too much?/insulting?.. if the music started playing something like "I'm coming out" or "YMCA" when marching around with all the mobs? Or other song ideas?

I'm still working on this btw. It's just been a long week, I'm a perfectionist, and I have a lot more to learn than I realized.

YMCA is kind of a gay anthem. Very campy choice, but definitely hilariously funny - especially if you're not expecting it. xD

Archived