Sleep Thread

23rd

Some things I do to prevent sleep paralysis is sleep on my side, have regular sleep patterns and drink a glass of water before bed every night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kagome_Kagome ?

The vivid dreams I have are either ridiculously fantastical in nature, or downright realistic to the point I can't tell if they're dreams. I might have had one lucid dream, but I'm not sure. Don't think I have the patience to practice dream-journalling or to forge a habit of checking for dream-like elements though.

What 23rd said about checking clocks is a good way to start. In that particular dream, I woke from my bed, noticed the digital clock malfunctioning and display rainbow-coloured digits, then kinda just realised I must be dreaming. xD Just went into the kitchen to get a glass of water and noticed no one was at home, and decided to go back to bed because it felt too early to wake up. :I

I've had so many dreams where I woke up as usual, preparing to go out or to school and unusual things happened along the way out (spilling drinks, running late, meet people I wouldn't usually meet, etc).

Not sure what to call this experience, but you know when your body is extremely tired and yet you can't fall asleep? So you end up lying on the bed just staring at nothing, maybe I fell asleep feeling that or something. But the times I feel like that, I tend to "fall down" in a violent drop/spiral and end up jerking awake all of a sudden. Doesn't happen very often now.

On the topic of "predictive" dreams, once I dreamt of my history teacher coming up to me and a group of friends in the canteen to inform us of a 9am class on Saturday. My friend's art teacher came up to us and told her to come back on Saturday, 9am.

Another one was me being in a lab environment working with some green substance in a petri dish. Next few days, we were given a consent form in school to try and make e.coli bacteria glow green.

Funnier sleep things, I sometimes say things in my sleep. XD Could be repeating what I watched from shows, what I've read, or just gibberish. Once I slapped my sister while completely asleep, oops. (We share a bed.)

EDIT: This is really long but I remembered something else. It must be a pretty common kind of dream, but I often dream myself running around as animals. It's fun.

And the worst dreams I have is when I dream of people dying (could be anyone from strangers to family). I don't even know why, but those are pretty much the only dreams that genuinely scare me when I wake. Not even dreams where I die scare me that much because my mind simply processes those as dreams. :|

TLDR - Not actually talking about sleep but dreams and dreams, oops.

I one time had this dream where everything was checkerboard, except for me. I had no depth perception in that place. A man wearing all checkerboard clothes walked up to me. "This will help you out. Use it when you're in trouble." He said. A checkerboard motorcycle appeared before me. It was hard to see, but I just managed to make it out. After that, I woke up. A couple nights later, I had a nightmare. (I was a young boy at the time.) I don't remember exactly what it was about, but it had something to do with giant robots chasing me. I seemed to hear the checkerboard's words again, and the motorcycle came out of a checkerboard portal. I jumped on it and started up the engine. Next thing I knew was I was in a much more pleasant dream. So every night that I had a nightmare, I would just summon up my motorcycle and get out of there. Unfortunately, I had a period in which I didn't dream for a very long time, and I seem to have forgotten how to summon it up... Whatever. I don't have very many nightmares anymore.

I one time had this dream where everything was checkerboard, except for me. I had no depth perception in that place. A man wearing all checkerboard clothes walked up to me. "This will help you out. Use it when you're in trouble." He said. A checkerboard motorcycle appeared before me. It was hard to see, but I just managed to make it out. After that, I woke up. A couple nights later, I had a nightmare. (I was a young boy at the time.) I don't remember exactly what it was about, but it had something to do with giant robots chasing me. I seemed to hear the checkerboard's words again, and the motorcycle came out of a checkerboard portal. I jumped on it and started up the engine. Next thing I knew was I was in a much more pleasant dream. So every night that I had a nightmare, I would just summon up my motorcycle and get out of there. Unfortunately, I had a period in which I didn't dream for a very long time, and I seem to have forgotten how to summon it up... Whatever. I don't have very many nightmares anymore.

while we sleep we have 4-5 dreams, sometimes we can't remember them

I once had a dream in which I was in my living room and my aunt had just walked in the room and her and my parents and her were sitting around having a casual conversation, and then (I'm not even making this up, seriously,) the screws of a vent in the room come off, and some green egg pops out, and at this point, I realize something, what is the only thing that lays eggs that would be hanging out in a abandoned vent? And due to the fact that I have a horrible phobia of such creature, I'm thinking, "Oh god, please n...." And before I finish that thought the egg starts breaking apart, and ooze drips out of it, then these legs, oh god the legs the hairy dark green and black legs, overly detailed as if it were some kind of ridiculously hi-res CGI things come bursting out of the egg, demolishing it, and in its place stands this huge undescribably horrible looking beast of a spider, the thing starts crawling toward me, at this point it is impossible to describe how horrified I was at this point, iI threw everything at the sspider nothing so much as made it flinch, then it lunged at me, and when the thing is half a inch from my face I wakenup screaming, and since I couldn't. Go back to sleep, I'm forced to sit in my room until morn, no TV or games to calm me, just the noises being made by things that didn't exist

...does that count as a "night terror"?

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

Oh, wait.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

Oh, wait.

Happy Valentine's Day. 

Archived