What's with this "dawn" thing?

Hpfm2

sounds like a lot of nothing and a little pretty for just another type of mushroom

If nothing else, but that doesn't mean that's all dawn could be. A new type of hunt in which the tracks only appear at night and the quarry only appearing at dawn. Monsters that are only active during the dawn with neat loot. Maybe a new bug to collect that only appears during the dawn. You can make dawn more interesting, but then again, if you're not keen on the idea of dawn, then I can't think of any dawn-centric mechanics that would sell it to you to begin with.

If nothing else, but that doesn't mean that's all dawn could be. A new type of hunt in which the tracks only appear at night and the quarry only appearing at dawn. Monsters that are only active during the dawn with neat loot. Maybe a new bug to collect that only appears during the dawn. You can make dawn more interesting, but then again, if you're not keen on the idea of dawn, then I can't think of any dawn-centric mechanics that would sell it to you to begin with.

I'm not really "not keen" on it. I'm just not for it... like "meh."

I had seen this back in the day, suggestion for a dawn. And now that the DLC is about, I see this suggestion even more. I just wanna ask, if you're one of these persons, what is the reason to wanting dawn? It feels like a pointless feature, if you ask me, but I wanna be proved wrong.

What if I told you: There's a mod like that already?

Ehh, the problem I have with adding 'dawn-centric mechanics' is that we really don't have any evening-centric mechanics that I can think of. Let's see, in the evening, most creatures start hiding or coming out in preparation for night. Oh, and mosquitoes come out. Night and day are the main phases while evening is just a transition. Dawn would merely be a transition* as well, unless they added special stuff that only occurs at dawn. But, if they're going to add stuff like that, why not just add it to evening instead?

*And a rather pointless one considering that you really don't need to be warned that day is approaching

It would be nice to add some early morning mechanics; I'm all ready to go right before sunrise, but I noticed that rabbits like to sleep in (lazy critters!).  Something that happens early in the morning - whether in a new "dawn" period or just early - would reward early birds.

One mechanic that could be interesting would be an option to choose whether to sleep in until dawn or morning with your tent/roll.  If you wake up earlier, you get a little less health/sanity recovery, but you have a few more hours to do thing;  if you sleep in, you get the full benefits of the rest but miss out on those hours of productivity.  I would find that both more realistic and interesting as a design choice.

I'm not really "not keen" on it. I'm just not for it... like "meh."

Same boat as you, unless they had something planned for it, like a certain rare plant that only spawned in those hours etc, but imo they would have to add in more than one thing to justify adding in a new mechanic to the day cycle.

The reason their is dusk is so the player has time to prepare for night setting in, there is currently no reason to prepare for the sun rising.

Ehh, the problem I have with adding 'dawn-centric mechanics' is that we really don't have any evening-centric mechanics that I can think of. Let's see, in the evening, most creatures start hiding or coming out in preparation for night. Oh, and mosquitoes come out. Night and day are the main phases while evening is just a transition.

And who's to say we couldn't have more dusk related mechanics as well?

Dawn would merely be a transition* as well, unless they added special stuff that only occurs at dawn. But, if they're going to add stuff like that, why not just add it to evening instead?

*And a rather pointless one considering that you really don't need to be warned that day is approaching

Same argument could be made for the inclusion of fall. Any mechanics Klei intends to make for that season could just as easily have been given to winter, summer, or split between both.

That, I feel, is one of the stronger reasons to include dawn. Klei has decided to make the world feel more robust with seasons, why not take a couple notches from the sun dial and turn them to dawn notches?

Same argument could be made for the inclusion of fall. Any mechanics Klei intends to make for that season could just as easily have been given to winter, summer, or split between both.

No, not really. Summer and winter are each distinct and have plenty of stuff going for them. Adding major stuff to them would be unnecessary at best or mess them up at worst. The same could be said of day and night. Evening, on the other hand, is kinda just an empty transition. Pretty much the only thing unique to it is the fact that it mixes some of the aspects of day and night. This means that it actually has potential to have (bigger) stuff added to it, unlike summer and winter. I still think it would make more sense to expand on evening than to add a new phase.

No, not really. Summer and winter are each distinct and have plenty of stuff going for them. Adding major stuff to them would be unnecessary at best or mess them up at worst. The same could be said of day and night. Evening, on the other hand, is kinda just an empty transition. Pretty much the only thing unique to it is the fact that it mixes some of the aspects of day and night. This means that it actually has potential to have (bigger) stuff added to it, unlike summer and winter. I still think it would make more sense to expand on evening than to add a new phase.

1. "Unnecessary"? The game is already finished. Any additional content, beyond a bug fix, could just as easily be construed as "unnecessary."

2. Any addition in content might mess up the balance of what they had before, this much is true. How is that not an argument to just simply not make new content again for fear of messing up what was established prior?

3. In the sense that additional content based around the day and night would either be a bad thing or unnecessary, they're comparable to winter and summer? I'm going to have to disagree. A new addition to the day, night, winter, or summer -- major or minor -- could just as easily be a good thing and/or feel like it should've always been in place there from the very beginning. How could those not be equally valid outcomes?

4. It is true that because dusk is a bit more bare bones than day or night it has more potential to grow. However, that potentiality is based on the fact that there is a lack of content within dusk compared to day or night. Considering how there's even less content implemented for dawn, that is to say no content currently implemented for dawn, that would mean that the potential for dawn is actually greater than dusk.

5. This isn't a situation in which the adding of content to the night would be mutually exclusive to the creation of a dawn. They both can happen.

1. "Unnecessary"? The game is already finished. Any additional content, beyond a bug fix, could just as easily be construed as "unnecessary."

2. Any addition in content might mess up the balance of what they had before, this much is true. How is that not an argument to just simply not make new content again for fear of messing up what was established prior?

3. In the sense that additional content based around the day and night would either be a bad thing or unnecessary, they're comparable to winter and summer? I'm going to have to disagree. A new addition to the day, night, winter, or summer -- major or minor -- could just as easily be a good thing and/or feel like it should've always been in place there from the very beginning. How could those not be equally valid outcomes?

4. It is true that because dusk is a bit more bare bones than day or night it has more potential to grow. However, that potentiality is based on the fact that there is a lack of content within dusk compared to day or night. Considering how there's even less content implemented for dawn, that is to say no content currently implemented for dawn, that would mean that the potential for dawn is actually greater than dusk.

5. This isn't a situation in which the adding of content to the night would be mutually exclusive to the creation of a dawn. They both can happen.

It ultimately doesn't matter since the devs only look at our suggestions as a basis of what we would be interested in, not actually the implementation of our. So if we do get a dawn, it's because they had already planned on it. Good luck for the outcome to please you.

It ultimately doesn't matter since the devs only look at our suggestions as a basis of what we would be interested in, not actually the implementation of our. So if we do get a dawn, it's because they had already planned on it. Good luck for the outcome to please you.

True, true. Time will indeed tell and I'll probably enjoy the DLC with or without a dawn.

By that reasoning, there is no need for dusk either. I deem your argument invalid, fine sire.

Ye olde arrogance still makes you look arrogant ;) Also it'd be either "fine sir" or "sire", and the latter would suggest you're of inferior rank to @Hpfm2.

There is significant need for dusk, and @Hpfm2 isn't saying otherwise. Dusk gives you preparation time for nighttime, which is literally lethal (Grue) unless you have a light source nearby. If you've run out of resources to make a fire/torch/etc then when dusk comes you're given a reminder that night is fast approaching and you have opportunity to collect the required resources.

On the other hand, I see the proposed dawn as @Hpfm2 does: unnecessary and annoying. You don't need to prepare for daytime since daylight is a Good Thing i.e. non-lethal. Having even less daylight = dimmer screen, more loss of sanity, more enemies would be a blight on enjoyment in my eyes. So the insta-transition to day seems like a very welcome characteristic of the day-night cycle.

Archived