World Settings

JoeW

There is a mod for that:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190599740

Now what it lacks is:

-setting for caves

-more interesting presets

-resorce substitutes like in adventure mode

In general every component can be put in there for customization of the game world.

I would suggest adding quite a few of that mod to the game, might as well have them in there without the need of a mod at all.

Birds

Koalefants

Mushrooms

Pengulls

Krampus

Random season length

Also, JoeW said no settings for caves, so I would not count on those.

I use to play with the default setting but I've tried some extreme options for the fun.

Here's some suggestions :

- Make more clear those options : "Land Branch" & "Land Loop".

- Add Pinguins options.

- Add cave option (for it specific content)

- Add more presets +++ (wich add news experiences)

Etc.

I usually played with default settings. By the time I started experimenting with the options, I was getting kinda tired of the game and I took a break from playing soon after. Unfortunately.

But here's some suggestions anyway!

-A 'scarce' option on the sliders. There seems to be a pretty big gap between 'less' and 'none.'

-Option to randomize the world settings! Going into a world without knowing what it's gonna be like can be a lot of fun.

Presets would be good.  I am always from the camp of wanting the game to be balanced, but on the hard side.  

I guess my two decades of hardcore gaming should afford me confidence in properly balancing the game with sliders....but I just don't trust myself.

Could we maybe get a slider for all the resurrection mechanics?  It would be fun to turn off SOME or ALL of the resurrection mechanics.  ROGUE LIKE BABY!

But when you're playing a single player game survival like this, it is really hard to brag about any accomplishments when your bragging starts with : "so I tweaked the game world"

Always lose credibility in my opinion, versus, saying that you simply played the game on default.

OR IN LINE with the pre-sets, make fun "genre" like presets that are geographic, but also make "difficulty" pre-sets so I could say I play the game on Klei's "very-hard" preset.

Havent played in awhile sorry if some of these are already implemented in the game.

~~~

EDIT:

ALSO A RANDOM option would be a lot of fun!!!  But with so many sliders it would need to be a "controlled random" so no worlds are spawned without twigs or something...some basically most always needed resource.

Call me boring but I usually play on defaults. There was only a couple of times where I made the sliders to give me lots of food and only summer, to make the game easy for me. I just see the defaults as the way the developers wanted you to see the game...

How about if you could make a snowman during the winter for something or there already was one. I can't think of a reason to put it there, but it just feels like needed for the game. And an evil snowman would be interresting.

I always play on default.  Partly becuase I feel like that is the way the developers intentionally balanced the game experience.  Partially becuase the sheer amount of options is a bit mind-boggling.  And partly because I like to compare my games across the same difficulty curve.

I don't have a ton of time to play around and experiment, so when I play I like to think I am getting the "genuine" game experience.

I would like the possibility to have more cave entrance. It seems to me that could be a good way to have more or less caves ressources without caves presets.

I would love have a lot of cave in a new world. A lot !

And, i can't remember if i can change the world preset if i use the teleportato, but it would be cool if we can. Restart in a new world with a pack of item, but a new experience. For exemple, i could manually increase difficulty each time I use the teleportato, or have a bigger world to explore, etc..

There are some great ideas in the thread already for even more sandbox fun as well as goal-oriented gameplay.

Here's a list of my faves, to be updated..

@jbeetle - "Options to play worlds similar to the Adventure Worlds - aka more presets! perhaps even call them challenges." (These would be a brilliant way to mix up the sandbox. Making the game intentionally unbalanced in particular ways e.g. spider army, no savanna etc. would make for great gameplay for experienced players, since player's default strategies might no longer be possible)

@TooMuchHoneyHam "change settings in the Teleportato" (Comment: how great it would be to be able to keep your character plus inventory while travelling to a world tailored to your desires)

@Mr. Tiddles - "More nature stuff (more because it makes the world look more prettyful)" (Comment: Flowers are insanely attractive ;) )

I have logged well over 400 hours in Don't Starve, and love it. I usually play Default settings.

There are some great Ideas in this thread I'd like to see implemented: "change world settings in Teleportato", "flowers, koalephant, shrooms, pengulls (Would love to see ice on ground go away after season ends), Krampus sliders", but most of all "Challenge world presets (more than just Lights Out)"

And maybe some sort of preset biomes that offer more of a challenge when searching for teleportato parts ie mob infested ruins or sum such.

I'd like an option that allows seperated landmasses connected by wormholes. (I'm aware tiny ones occur occasionally right now, but...)

For example, on default it's what you have now, and if you set it higher you get two (maybe three sometimes) big landmasses like in Two Worlds, albiet without the nice/terrible thing between them. And if you set it to the highest setting, the world ends up kind of like Archipelago, although perhaps not quite so segregated so that the adventure world version is still special.

Apart from that, I agree with the guy who said there should be a Scarce option between Less and None. Honestly, with most things, setting it to Less doesn't make a huge difference. There may be half as many rabbit holes or grass tufts, but there's so many normally that half as much is still more than enough for it to hardly matter past the very start of the game. With a Scarce option, you could make it so certain resources actually become rather valuable, and careful usage and exploration to find them something that's important to keep in mind.

Even with Grass and/or Twigs on Less and the Long Winter setting after starting with a short summer, you STILL don't have to really pay any attention to how you're using them- as long as you aren't feeding mostly off rabbits via traps.

Also, it might be interesting to have a preset that's a little more similar to an adventure world's build- Maxwell Tooth Traps and obelisk barriers spawning, etc.

Archived