Giants? Seriously?

MassiveZ

When exactly did this game wandered off from being a survival horror game and became a Japanese RPG, where you kill ridiculously inconvenient and pointless creatures which exist only because developers were too lazy to come up with something original.

I, for once, am not amused.

Where is the actual horror content?

Where are the creepy children "ring around the rosy" noises in the dark?

Where are the deformed corpses of fallen survivors coming to attack you out of the dark while you think you are safe by the camp fire?

Here I am on the 167th day of "survival", absolutely THRIVING in my camp with unlimited supplies, with no danger what-so-ever.

Hunger? No problem, 12 dragon fruit farms, berry bushes , there's a lake near-by for fishing.

Hound attacks? Doesn't matter, have traps.

Deer-clops? Trap's son.

And this is where my problem with the DLC originates from, the first time I saw deer-clops, sure I got wrecked, but the first thing I thought was wow this is stupid and completely out of place, whatever.

Now you are telling me there will be an entire episode based on it.

*Flips table* *Leaves the room* 

Yeah! How dare Klei not go for tired and trite horror cliches, instead of making creatures that are both bizarre and surreal!

But seriously, the stuff you're asking for sounds like the most exhausted horror premises I've ever heard of. Creepy kids and zombies? Come on. That's not scary, it's just overdone.

Deerclops is actually one of the few things I still find scary. Not because of how he looks or how he fights, but because of what he is. Everything in the world was created by Maxwell, what the hell could have inspired him to create a giant cyclopean beast like that? And that roar that comes before he appears, I love that roar. If you find that out of place among the Tallbirds and Hounds you're crazy.

One of the first things the devs said about DLCs is that it will allow them to branch away from the main game and do crazy things. so...not like you weren't warned.

but anyway, I'll take this as a suggestions thread disguised as a complaint thread and say i like some of your suggestions that involve following up on things.

I perfectly agree with you.  I was hoping for a super-creepy DLC that adds first person mode & nazi zombies & scoped shotguns and ultra realistic blood!

Klei should totally add jumpscares and eyeless children and HD 3d graphics instead of giants!  Maybe a pyramid head easter egg!  :D

I like Don't Starve because it has a nice, dark, tongue-in-cheek Gothic styling to it, not because it is striving towards being a horror game. It's 2D, hand drawn graphics aren't well suited for horror - if you're longing for that, look to Amnesia or Dead Space.

This is the first Klei game I've ever played, but I get the feeling that the guys and gals developing Don't Starve are smart and funny and will introduce the giants in a way that will compliment the game and makes it more interesting. I'm looking forward to their quirky stylings.

So, I guess what I'm saying is trust Klei, and if you'd like more horror, look into some of the mods. There are a few out there that might satisfy you. :)

1. When exactly did this game wandered off from being a survival horror game and became a Japanese RPG, where you kill ridiculously inconvenient and pointless creatures which exist only because developers were too lazy to come up with something original.

2. I, for once, am not amused.

3. Where is the actual horror content?

4. Where are the creepy children "ring around the rosy" noises in the dark?

5. Where are the deformed corpses of fallen survivors coming to attack you out of the dark while you think you are safe by the camp fire?

6. Here I am on the 167th day of "survival", absolutely THRIVING in my camp with unlimited supplies, with no danger what-so-ever.

7. Hunger? No problem, 12 dragon fruit farms, berry bushes , there's a lake near-by for fishing.

8. Hound attacks? Doesn't matter, have traps.

9. Deer-clops? Trap's son.

10. And this is where my problem with the DLC originates from, the first time I saw deer-clops, sure I got wrecked, but the first thing I thought was wow this is stupid and completely out of place, whatever.

11. Now you are telling me there will be an entire episode based on it.

*Flips table* *Leaves the room* 

1. When was this game ever survival horror? It was a rougelike survival. Also, when's the last time you've seen a beefalo in a video game? If anything, the zombies you later suggest are less original that even the basic mooks of this game.

2. You're not amused? Okay. I'm sorry to hear that.

3. Yeah, we need more artificial jumpscares. It needs to be the Screecher x10.

4. Were we promised this? No. And, that idea is so flipping cliche, I don't know what to say. Children aren't scary.

5. F**K. ZOMBIES.

6. Then why aren't you doing adventure mode for the challenge?

7. See point 6.

8. See point 6.

9. See point 6.

10. Yeah, that Deerclops sure is out of place next to the living trees, splmunkies, slurpers, pigmen, and beefalo. And worst of all, it's original. I hate originality. I need to kill zombies and zombie kids with jumpscares every 10 seconds or my brain will start to work again.

11. DLC, not episode. And, yep, the ENTIRE DLC is all giants. Nothing else. Not like they will add new characters, mechanics, areas, and mobs, nope. Just giants.

There you go, a deconstruction of your post. I hope it let's you see that some of your points are very invalid, and that you are just as bad as the IGNorant  reviewers who didn't know about adventure mode, and rated it without running into it.

Yeah! How dare Klei not go for tired and trite horror cliches, instead of making creatures that are both bizarre and surreal!

But seriously, the stuff you're asking for sounds like the most exhausted horror premises I've ever heard of. Creepy kids and zombies? Come on. That's not scary, it's just overdone.

Deerclops is actually one of the few things I still find scary. Not because of how he looks or how he fights, but because of what he is. Everything in the world was created by Maxwell, what the hell could have inspired him to create a giant cyclopean beast like that? And that roar that comes before he appears, I love that roar. If you find that out of place among the Tallbirds and Hounds you're crazy.

ibszfvzym8oihH.gif

Such giants, much surreal/scare/originality, WOW 

1. When was this game ever survival horror? It was a rougelike survival. Also, when's the last time you've seen a beefalo in a video game? If anything, the zombies you later suggest are less original that even the basic mooks of this game.

2. You're not amused? Okay. I'm sorry to hear that.

3. Yeah, we need more artificial jumpscares. It needs to be the Screecher x10.

4. Were we promised this? No. And, that idea is so flipping cliche, I don't know what to say. Children aren't scary.

5. F**K. ZOMBIES.

6. Then why aren't you doing adventure mode for the challenge?

7. See point 6.

8. See point 6.

9. See point 6.

10. Yeah, that Deerclops sure is out of place next to the living trees, splmunkies, slurpers, pigmen, and beefalo. And worst of all, it's original. I hate originality. I need to kill zombies and zombie kids with jumpscares every 10 seconds or my brain will start to work again.

11. DLC, not episode. And, yep, the ENTIRE DLC is all giants. Nothing else. Not like they will add new characters, mechanics, areas, and mobs, nope. Just giants.

There you go, a deconstruction of your post. I hope it let's you see that some of your points are very invalid, and that you are just as bad as the IGNorant  reviewers who didn't know about adventure mode, and rated it without running into it.

1. HAUNTINGLY CHARMING, TEDIOUSLY OVERWHELMING, WILDERNESS SURVIVAL HORROR . / and more quotes like that from critics.

2. Eat me.

3. I never said jump-scares, I said eerie atmosphere.

4. David & Goliath called, they want their story back.

5. I never said zombies.

6. I did, it was to easy.

7. See point 2.

8. See point 2.

9. See point 2.

10. See point 4.

Mr. Deconstructor.

trolling.jpg

Your failure to properly use the Doge meme is astonishing.

And secondly, that's cliche too! A guy with no skin is probably even more cliche than those "ring around the rosie kids". Cliche isn't scary. Surreal is. That isn't surreal or scary.

Apart from other things today, you failed to see an Attack on Titan reference

Can one of the mods close this thread before I say something that I don't want to say? I don't want my 666th post to be an angry comment against someone who is unable to play anything with a hint of originality or is #2spooky4me.

Meanwhile giants been used in shadow of colossus, attack on titan, and every RPG game ever made, #mr.originality2014

TIP: if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen, you will get burned son

Clearly there is going to be not much reasoning in a negative nonsense thread, but I just want to say cheapo horror stuff like the Screecher angers me and i'm so glad it's not in the main game.

I agree, screetcher is in fact dumb. And I sure hope that devs will use their skills and dedication to provide proper eerie horror, instead of here have some giants, because reasons

Looks like your getting..

Massive hate now.

HAHAHA I'M SO CLEVER.

Well, my name is MassiveZ D for a reason, and this isn't even my final form

I like Don't Starve because it has a nice, dark, tongue-in-cheek Gothic styling to it, not because it is striving towards being a horror game. It's 2D, hand drawn graphics aren't well suited for horror - if you're longing for that, look to Amnesia or Dead Space.

This is the first Klei game I've ever played, but I get the feeling that the guys and gals developing Don't Starve are smart and funny and will introduce the giants in a way that will compliment the game and makes it more interesting. I'm looking forward to their quirky stylings.

So, I guess what I'm saying is trust Klei, and if you'd like more horror, look into some of the mods. There are a few out there that might satisfy you. :-)

By the way, 2D and hand drawings never stopped Tim Burton from making some f**** up horror, and Don't Starve was undeniably heavily inspired by Tim Burton's work, so...

This thread is so great. Each new post is delicious.  I got slapped in my place super hard, and since I don't have a proper comeback, I'll just pretend I have the upper hand and pray to baby Jebus that other unfortunate kindred spirits will back me up on this one you guys. 

There, fixed it for you

I agree, screetcher is in fact dumb. And I sure hope that devs will use their skills and dedication to provide proper eerie horror, instead of here have some giants, because reasons

This might sound crazy, but the reason I like this game a lot is that it's just chill and chilling.  Underneath it all, the gameplay feels like i'm playing through a string of Pink Floyd songs. It confused me greatly at first, but then it led to intrigue and delight.  It means so much more to me then straight up horror ever would.

What the giant's are going to be is still a mystery though.

This might sound crazy, but the reason I like this game a lot is that it's just chill and chilling.  Underneath it all, the gameplay feels like i'm playing through a string of Pink Floyd songs. It confused me greatly at first, but then it led to intrigue and delight.  It means so much more to me then straight up horror ever would.

What the giant's are going to be is still a mystery though.

I understand exactly what you mean, and I never said that it has to change, the game is already eerie in itself, (For example, the sound that Wendy makes when you click on Abigail, and she explains that it's her sister. The sound she makes is so incredibly well done, that for a second you think wait, is this ghost really here, or is this girl super fuked in the head), and that's exactly the horror elements I like, and would love to see more and more elaborate ones.  

My name is D. Lady D. Now play nicely children. I WILL be watching. 

Oke :3 I'm Aaron, nice to meet you. And thanks for the battle scar, all the chick who ignored me previously, will HAVE to go on a date with me NOW, muahahahahaha

How I feel about the DLC?

Sounds awesome.

How would I feel about more scary features?

Sounds awesome.

I am guessing that there is enough players who would agree with me enough to be Ok with this DLC, regardless if that was what they were wishing for.

Where did the idea that this game was horror originate from? I mean sure it has its creepy sections and monsters but I never felt that it was horror, really. It doesn't make a HUGE effort to scare you, at least not in a horror aspect. The Screecher mod is horror, vanilla Don't Starve IMO is a survival game with some creepy elements thrown in that definitely add to the game and its atmosphere but to me it doesn't make it survival horror. I don't think that the DLC needs to expand on it too much, just add some more creepiness and mystery along with the new content and I'll be happy.

Jup, the games focus is about survival in a hostile environment. The hostility of said environment is based on realistic influences like hunger and wild animals (hounds) and the occasionally lightning strike and other more fantastical ones like shadow creatures, ghosts giant one eyed deers and so on.

It has a taste of horror in some way that many of the overnatural dangers are in fact horror in the definition of not entirely understandable or explainable.

But it is no horror game per se, in my opinion.

So adding more crazy stuff is exactly what the packaging was promising....

(way to much strange words...sorry ^^)

Archived