- Spiderhat effect (only when wearing no hat)

- Loses sanity in the day and gains at night

- Can only sleep during the day

- Doesn't require an item for sleeping

- Eats anything without detrimental effects

- Lower health

- Eating excess food produces silk

- Can walk across webbing at a faster speed (akin to cobblestone roads)

- New turf: Webbing!

Just a few of those.

- Spiderhat effect (only when wearing no hat)

- Loses sanity in the day and gains at night

- Can only sleep during the day

- Doesn't require an item for sleeping

- Eats anything without detrimental effects

- Lower health

- Eating excess food produces silk

- Can walk across webbing at a faster speed (akin to cobblestone roads)

- New turf: Webbing!

-Wouldn't that be slightly too powerful?

-I can deal with that

-And? What, Webber can see in the dark and is thus free from the Grue?

-Nah.

-Only if this applies to monster meat and monster meat crock pot recipes.

-Yes

-No. I find silk INCREDIBLY useful, so no.

-Fine

-What would it do?

You had to say no twice just to hammer it in?

WELL THEN HERE WE GO, MOTHER[NOPE, NOT FINISHING THIS WORD. WE'RE KLEI, WE WON'T ALLOW IT!]

By the mid-game you'll have enough silk that you can use it to make whatever you need. I've got a tent, some beeboxes, a minor friendly miner's hat, whole buncha birdtraps and a comfy hat before the first Winter is over and I've still got leftover silk. For a player who knows what they're doin' being able to trade food for silk is just an early-game convenience.

Also the tradeoff is more than sufficient. Food for silk? I find myself stressin' for food way more than I do for silk. Poopin' silk is the kind of ability I would only use if I really needed silk, which is something that only happens when I can't find any spider nests near my camp for some reason.

-Wouldn't that be slightly too powerful?

-I can deal with that

-And? What, Webber can see in the dark and is thus free from the Grue?

-Nah.

-Only if this applies to monster meat and monster meat crock pot recipes.

-Yes

-Fine

-What would it do?

- No, because you can't befriend pigs and bunnies - they'll attack you on sight.

- OK.

- Perhaps. He's a spider, right? Besides, assuming he's unlocked based on XP, players will be already experienced enough to understand the mechanics of light (making the Grue a non-issue), thus it allows them to explore a night-oriented game with further freedom.

- I don't see spiders sleeping in beds.

- Yeah, it could.

- OK.

- ...Wouldn't that be an incentive to play a spider character? Also, later in the game you'll likely have a large surplus of food anyway, so might as well put that potential to use, eh?

- OK.

- What other turfs do...produce a different sound when stepped on, ambient noises, prevent lure plants from spawning (only in some cases), allow him to travel faster.

Something different should be done with him, not just an adjustment of stats and numerical values (like practically all of the character mods out there, 450 health 300 hunger 40 sanity 300% speed boost is not afraid of anything spawns with a thulecite club). Even if the changes sound drastic, they should be tested before jumping to conclusions. It'd be a shame to miss an opportunity for interesting gameplay if you're too afraid to even venture there.

No. I view silk as very useful, and thus, Webber would be slightly overpowered, even if it's a begin game advantage.

So if producing what every other spider produces isn't one of his tricks, what is? Oh and 23rd made some good points about that as well.

I mean, think about it - his name is "Webber."

Maybe like.. Silk appears on the ground next to you every 15 minutes? (it wouldn't be That over powered) but it would also be kind of stupid.

I don't want to come off too blunt, but that sounds completely useless.

God, silk is so serious alluvasudden.

I find it so useless making a thread with the intent to give suggestion for a character which characteristics have already been decided from the moment the devs decided to add him.

It's not like Klei completely ignores players' input and feedback for characters.

Stats:

-Low sanity-low health-high hunger

Perks:

-Makes silk when on low sanity (Get it, he sh*ts himself when he's scared :p)

-Can befriend spiders but will get attacked by pigs. (Make a hat that can befriend pigs without having to give them monster meat)

-Has night vision

-can only sleep at day

-eating monster meat decreases sanity by a ton because he feels bad for eating his own kind.

-Walks normal speed on spider turf

-Sanity increases at night, by 2+/min.

-Attack period is faster

- Pigs/bunnymen attack on sight

- Can only befriend pigs with the new hat: pig hat (like the spider one). Same as bunnymen.
- Spiders are neutral, can be hired with meat (the duration for warriors is 1/2 and queen 1/3)

- Faster movement in web

- Can spawn web turf in a small radius (1x2 or 2x2) at the cost of hunger

- Lower health, and sanity and a BIG stomach with slightly faster drain

The things that will never happen but I would like to see:

- Dusk is like "morning", no adverse effects of daylight

- Have night vision

- Daylight "blinds" the character making the same effect as night but with radiant borders (and the grue sounds with Charlie's normal voice chuckling).

- Same blinding effect with items and structures that produce light (miner hat, lightbulbs and nightmare statues)

- Small hp drain in day unless using an umbrella, and a bigger one to sanity

- Eating meat restores like 2 health and eating vegetables 5

1. low health

2. Gains sanity during dusk, loses sanity during the day, no sanity change by the fire at night or with a torch at night. Still loses sanity in complete darkness.

3. Can eat monster meat with no negative penalty, but cannot eat any or perhaps just some veggis. Or perhaps veggies just have a negative effect on him like monster meat does for others.

4. If they wanted him to have a particular special item he could have an egg sack that either replenishes over time or when certain conditions are met. The egg sack would spawn spider minions which might be very much needed if he needs meat to eat.

It has to be intuitive. If it's a spider character, players are going to expect characteristics similar to other spiders in the game (e.g. some alternative method of producing silk, or particular vulnerability towards fire). For instance, anyone can tell that Wolfgang is likely the most combat-oriented and strongest, also making sense for him to consume a lot of food and yet ironically be afraid of the dark fitting the stereotype. I don't really like Webber because he just seems tacky, like a little joke for more experienced players to scoff at. I'll withhold judgment until the Beta, though.

I kind of like the idea of him being nocturnal, and Charlie attacking him during the day instead of night. Of course, Summers are going to be awfully hard for him unless there's some sort of clock modification which comes with the character -times switched so that you're not spending the majority of his 'day' avoiding Charlie. I'm figuring literally a reversed clock - long night short day. But then also comes with the problem of everything being asleep on the surface aside from other spiders so unless there's maybe a hat you can craft (some spider sunglasses or somethin I don't know. Maybe fueling a Miner's hat with Nightmare Fuel instead?) that allows you limited daytime adventures. 

But maybe giants aren't the only things being added, maybe there'll be smaller versions of them which will act like Webber's equivalent of pigs, Beefalo etc. 

Just some thoughts. 

Archived