How the **** do I find Wes

^ it's moot*

See, this is why I'm thinking of leaving.  This forum is just a hive of hatred nowadays.

Just talk to people that don't piss you off and ignore the rest. Unless there's nothing left to say, then that's a legit reason to leave, obviously.

I want to play the game as Wes, but am not lucky enough to.

I think that's more accurate. It's not that you're completely unable, you're just really unlucky.

So they are the same: You ARE able to get Wes, but you got sick of trying and gave up. I'm sure everyone's done that!  I know I have *Cough Doom 2 Cough*.

And saying we can't say anything because we play PC is just plain dumb. Not saying you're dumb, but it doesn't really make much sense. I console'd him in at first, but then my DS reset all my unlocked characters, so I got him honestly (first try, too. I'm really lucky with everything).

For what it's worth, I bet they wouldn't make Wes spawn in the same manner if they could go back in time. I know that's hard to justify since someone could just say "well why don't they change it now." I'd say it's not worth their time, but who knows?

I think that's more accurate. It's not that you're completely unable, you're just really unlucky.

And saying we can't say anything because we play PC is just plain dumb.

You can say anything you want. But it doesn't matter because yous can unlock him any time you want. We can't.

You can say anything you want. But it doesn't matter because yous can unlock him any time you want. We can't.

Even if you couldn't on PC, it wouldn't matter to you because there are no trophies/achievements. Anyway, I agree that it should be changed to a much higher percentage, but at this point in the thread, I don't know what you expect to happen.

I didn't cheat to get him. Neither did Tiddles. Neither did a large portion of this forum. 

A large portion of this forum didn't have to because we got him when he just required XP like everyone else. I like the setpiece idea of unlocking characters, I just wish something besides randomness triggered the setpiece...like time spent in the previous world.

Even if you couldn't on PC, it wouldn't matter to you because there are no trophies/achievements. Anyway, I agree that it should be changed to a much higher percentage, but at this point in the thread, I don't know what you expect to happen.

A large portion of this forum didn't have to because we got him when he just required XP like everyone else. I like the setpiece idea of unlocking characters, I just wish something besides randomness triggered the setpiece...like time spent in the previous world.

I don't expect anything to happen. Companies don't give a care about me or anyone else. They care about money and unless this affect there revenue nothing will be done. So I don't buy the products anymore and turn as many people on my side as possible.

For example I haven't given Namco any money since ridge racer for vita was released. When dark souls 2 comes out, I will buy it used from GameStop, because Namco won't get a dime from it.

Welp, I tried. You just come off as entitled and someone that can never be made happy - not worth their or anyone's effort to live up to your high and arbitrary standards.

Believe it or not, the way someone expresses their concerns is very important when attempting to be heard, sorry, but you suck at it.

Why is getting 100% so important to everyone? Why is one thing, one little thing, reason enough to freak out at the game? And this guy isn't even getting upset about the Accomploshrine! Maybe he knows it's a joke. If you do, I respect you some more now. But seriously. I know you're voicing you opinion, but you're being kind of... rude. But why can't you just choose a different character and enjoy the game? Getting 100%/Wes isn't the core thing of this game. It's surviving. Not getting the DLC because you can't unlock one character is not a good reason. Not enough money or the content not appealing to you is a good reason. Here, let me tell you a secret....

An Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game Full of Science & Magic!

See that word that starts with a U? The 2nd word? Uncompromising. This game isn't going to serve you things on a silver platter. Plus, the devs didn't want achievements in their game, but Sony forced them to. So they added basic achievements on characters, and then there was the Accomploshrine joke. See how we have the PC version, an we're not being upset about Wes? It's the achievements. Please focus on the gameplay and not 100%ing the game.

Welp, I tried. You just come off as entitled and someone that can never be made happy - not worth their or anyone's effort to live up to your high and arbitrary standards.

Believe it or not, the way someone expresses their concerns is very important when attempting to be heard, sorry, but you suck at it.

What are you talking about. How am I entitled. I have beat the game with every other character and been through adventure mode 37 times. Your the one that sound like a ******, talking about something that doesn't concern you. You can't even understand my point, because you didn't have to do what I have to do to unlock a character.

For some people its not the 'getting 100%' Its being unable to fully explore the game with all the characters because of bad luck. Its like having a game with a secret level that you only have 1% chance of finding. You cant say all PC games were not 'upset about Wes' because if that was the case you wouldn't see so many posts about using cheat codes to unlock him.

There are people who focus on the gameplay but when everything is done and there is nothing left to do apart from exploring the game with a new character that you cant unlock it does become frustrating.

For some people its not the 'getting 100%' Its being unable to fully explore the game with all the characters because of bad luck. Its like having a game with a secret level that you only have 1% chance of finding. You cant say all PC games were not 'upset about Wes' because if that was the case you wouldn't see so many posts about using cheat codes to unlock him.

There are people who focus on the gameplay but when everything is done and there is nothing left to do apart from exploring the game with a new character that you cant unlock it does become frustrating.

Finally, someone with a brain.

Tomuchhoneyham, how am I doing anything violent in your "peaceful village". You just don't like what I'm saying so its making you mad.

Ironically, your not getting anywhere with me is like me not getting anywhere with dont starve. So maybe now you do know how I feel. Funny aint it.

So, really your issue is not with Wes, it's with Wes being needed for the trophy, correct?

Don't Starve has always been a game about intrinsic rewards, and I really think this goes to show how much an extrinsic reward can guide player behavior. Wes is only included as part of the trophy because we are already technically incentivising players to collect characters.

As far as how likely he is to appear; Don't Starve was never intended to be a single playthrough game. It wasn't intended for people to go into the game with a specific objective to complete. It has always been a game that you play in multiple sessions, getting something different from it every time. If you are playing Don't Starve just for the trophies, and your only value on the trophy is having it; not the effort in obtaining it. I could see it being pretty frustrating too.

That being said, we have certainly heard the concerns from trophy hunters out there, we have certainly learned a lot from this experience, and we will definitely keep these concerns in mind going forward. 

Also, Wade is gonna check the PS4 version later today to make sure that Wes is working as intended as we have got reports that people believe that he may not be appearing in the world as intended. We believe everything is working as it should, but we will check for sure. 

Finally, to all posters; I expect everybody in this forum to treat each other with respect. I understand that people are frustrated, but further personal attacks will not be tolerated. 

Finally, someone with a brain.

Tomuchhoneyham, how am I doing anything violent in your "peaceful village". You just don't like what I'm saying so its making you mad.

Ironically, your not getting anywhere with me is like me not getting anywhere with dont starve. So maybe now you do know how I feel. Funny aint it.

Pssst, my name isn't Jbeetle.

Edit: Oops, sorry. It appeared as Jbeetle on my screen.

So, really your issue is not with Wes, it's with Wes being needed for the trophy, correct?

Don't Starve has always been a game about intrinsic rewards, and I really think this goes to show how much an extrinsic reward can guide player behavior. Wes is only included as part of the trophy because we are already technically incentivising players to collect characters.

As far as how likely he is to appear; Don't Starve was never intended to be a single playthrough game. It wasn't intended for people to go into the game with a specific objective to complete. It has always been a game that you play in multiple sessions, getting something different from it every time. If you are playing Don't Starve just for the trophies, and your only value on the trophy is having it; not the effort in obtaining it. I could see it being pretty frustrating too.

That being said, we have certainly heard the concerns from trophy hunters out there, we have certainly learned a lot from this experience, and we will definitely keep these concerns in mind going forward.

Also, Wade is gonna check the PS4 version later today to make sure that Wes is working as intended as we have got reports that people believe that he may not be appearing in the world as intended. We believe everything is working as it should, but we will check for sure.

Finally, to all posters; I expect everybody in this forum to treat each other with respect. I understand that people are frustrated, but further personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Thank you for the post. And I understand what you are saying but I haven't just played it once. I have uncovered well over 100 maps and at least 10 to 15 times chapter 3 has been two worlds. Which he won't spawn on, so those were just wasted runs. And with it needed for the trophy I say it's 50/50, 50% for the trophy and 50% I would be able to unlock the full game and play it with Wes.

What are you talking about. How am I entitled. I have beat the game with every other character and been through adventure mode 37 times. Your the one that sound like a ******, talking about something that doesn't concern you. You can't even understand my point, because you didn't have to do what I have to do to unlock a character.

I tried to unlock Wes many times and failed. Thrice I found him but got killed. I still plan on buying the new DLC. Tell me, what's so different in the PS4 version that makes him so important?

I didn't mention anything about trophy's. I understand that the game is about learning things on your own and getting satisfaction from finding out what things do, and how to survive. But when you have learnt everything there is to offer and are searching for more only to find there is more but you cant access it then it becomes frustrating. I personally wish there were no trophy's but also that you could unlock Wes through gameplay and learning rather than through blind luck.

I tried to unlock Wes many times and failed. Thrice I found him but got killed. I still plan on buying the new DLC. Tell me, what's so different in the PS4 version that makes him so important?

I just did, the trophy and being able to play the game as him.

I didn't mention anything about trophy's. I understand that the game is about learning things on your own and getting satisfaction from finding out what things do, and how to survive. But when you have learnt everything there is to offer and are searching for more only to find there is more but you cant access it then it becomes frustrating. I personally wish there were no trophy's but also that you could unlock Wes through gameplay and learning rather than through blind luck.

Exactly, I could run through adventure mode a 100 more time and still never find him. If it were skill based this wouldn't even be an issue.

You know trophies/acheivements are part of Skinner's Box, right?

Trophy hunters are like the guy that crashes a small party with a close group of friends, invites a bunch of random people, they drink all the beer everyone brought, then leave as soon as it's gone.

They show up, get loud and obnoxious about something (Wes, in this case) and as soon as they get what they came for, they leave.

Its nice to see the regulars calling all PS4 owners trophy hunters and lab rats and I though PC elitism was dead but its alive and kicking here.

I think I should be offended by this, but I'm not sure if it's directed to me. I was just referencing skinner's box, but I'm not sure if that's elitism.

Its nice to see the regulars calling all PS4 owners trophy hunters and lab rats and I though PC elitism was dead but its alive and kicking here.

When did I say anything about the PS4? That applies to all trophy hunters on all platforms. Right now it applies here because there is a wave of newcomers who want nothing other than to unlock Wes so they can leave.

A couple people have showed camps or asked for advice on how to deal with various things on the PS4 and gotten nothing but positive feedback and encouragement. A lot of people have come and complained about Wes claiming a 1% (that has not been found in the game files) chance of spawning. They aren't getting positive feedback.

Archived