It Puts the Stories on the Forum

23rd

For @Will

Finding Peace

Chapter 1 of 3: Children are strange

The first time Wilson met Wendy, it was rather hectic. He had been away from his base for the past two and a half days, and was looking forward to a very long nap in his tent. What he had not been expecting to see was a fair-haired child playing with his lab equipment. Well.. perhaps playing wasn't the right word, not the way she was handling the beakers and tossing chemicals haphazardly. There was no way she could have known what she was doing, but there was an odd confidence in the way she mashed volatile ingredients together and spun the alchemy engine's cog. She was creating.. something.

Regardless, Wilson was sure she didn't understand the severity of what she was doing. She could blow apart her fingers, go blind, burn her skin off, all manner of terrible things! And that's not even counting the damage she would do to the machine if he didn't stop her. Wilson forgot all about sleeping as he threw his backpack to the ground, marching towards Wendy. He smacked his palm against the steel shell of the alchemy engine, the loud reverberations startling the young girl from her trance. "What are you doing?" Wilson's question was only met with a blank stare before Wendy went back to her work, ripping the tender meat of a morsel between her fingers and rolling it in the fluid of a tallbird's eye. Wilson grabbed what was left of the morsel, yanking it from her grasp. He recognized what she was doing.. he couldn't let her make that.

Quickly, Wilson yanked the morsel from Wendy's small hands. "Why are you making that? What are you even doing here?" Wendy's hands balled up into fists, and before Wilson had the chance to react she elbowed him in the solar plexus. As he was reeling back in pain she took the opportunity to kick him to the ground, grabbing her morsel back. "FINISHING THE JOB! Just because it's not here right now doesn't mean it should be over! Just because I'm the victim doesn't mean I can't be the killer! It's the only way. The only way she can move forward."

Well, none of that had made any sense, but as Wilson noticed the deep purple bags underneath Wendy's eyes indicated that the girl was more than a bit frazzled. The pain was beginning to simmer, and now that Wilson wasn't doubled over in agony it was easier to see the bigger picture. Whoever this girl was she was alone, afraid, cold and tired. Just like him.

Getting to his feet, Wilson walked slowly towards the crockpot several meters away from the science lab. He rested his arm against it, catching his breath before speaking again. "I don't know what you just said or who you are, but you need sleep and food." That seemed to get through. Wendy dropped the morsel back against the worktable she'd been using, turning to look up at Wilson. "I'm going to make something eat, you can use the tent. However, I want answers in the morning." He was met with a blank stare yet again, but after several moments Wendy skulked quietly towards the tent.

Once she was out of sight Wilson pulled various meats and fruits from his icebox, dropping them into the crockpot. As he made dinner for himself and his new guest, his only thought was that he was tired of Maxwell still being able to throw him off guard so completely.

Edited by 23rd
  • Like 2

Wilson was sure she didn't understand the severity of what she was doing. She could blow apart her fingers, go blind, burn her skin off, all manner of terrible things!

In all honesty, that's probably what she was trying to do in the first place.

Quickly, Wilson yanked the morsel from Wendy's small hounds.

Wendy has hounds? Man, it must've been one heck of an update

Finding Peace

Chapter 2 of 3: Electric teamwork

Wendy turned out to be far more rational than Wilson initially suspected. Instead of shutting herself out and antagonizing, as he'd expected, she was grateful for his hospitality and told him about herself while they ate their dinners at the fire pit the following night. "I have.. had a sister. Her name was Abigail. She's dead now, but still around as a ghost." Wilson noticed the way she hesitated, then referred to her sister in the past tense. Before he could question it, Wendy continued. "When I first came here, I was overjoyed. It felt like she'd never died at all, and she helped protect me from the spiders and hounds. But after a while.. I realized it wasn't right. She's dead, and the dead are supposed to rest in peace, right?" Wendy slumped forward, the red flower in her hair seeming to lilt with her. "My sister isn't at peace. If she didn't have to protect me.."

Wilson couldn't help but notice a shimmering white figure hiding behind the trees in the distance, patrolling the area and occasionally looking back toward him. He let out a sigh, strumming his fingers against the ground as he thought. This girl had lost her twin sister, and dealt with the guilt of knowing she was the reason her sister couldn't find peace, all on top of still having to survive in this terrible world. And he'd thought he had it tough!

Suddenly, an ear-splitting shriek filled the air. Wilson and Wendy's heads snapped up, alert to the possibility of spontaneous danger. From the edges of the forest nearby something vaguely human-like, but entirely soulless emerged. Some metal abomination, much like the clockwork pieces that guarded the portal leading off of the island. Unlike those, however, this automaton made use of improvised wooden armor and crude weaponry much like Wilson or Wendy themselves might. One glance could tell this thing was intelligent and dangerous, and it was running straight for Wilson and Wendy. Wendy was the first to shout through the chaos, scrambling to her feet. "What is that thing?!" Wilson was already by one of the chests lining his camp, pulling an icy blue gem from the storage container. "No time to explain. Get behind me, close to the Lightning Rod."

Well she didn't need to be told twice. As she rushed over towards the tall golden structure the robot swerved, deciding Wilson was its primary target. The two combatants circled the lively fire pit. Wilson summoned blasts of frozen matter from his gem, making them fly through the fire and melt into water as they hit the robotic attacker on the other side. It was effective enough at first, but it wasn't long before the automaton was able to simply dodge each blast as it chased Wilson around the fire. "Wendy!"

She had been looking around for something simple to kill, a red flower cradled in her small hands. When Wilson yelled towards her, she gently tucked the flower back into the pocket of her skirt. "There's an amber stone with an electrical charge on the ground somewhere. You need to hit him with it!" Looking about frantically, Wendy quickly grabbed the chunk of amber by her feet. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and threw.

clunk

"SYSTEM OVERLOAD!"

Wendy opened her eyes to see the automaton standing still, shaking violently. After several moments it stopped, movements becoming jerky and unhinged as it surveyed the area around it. It must have seen something Wilson and Wendy couldn't, because after focusing intently on a specific patch of grass it bolted off in the other direction, disappearing to wherever it had come from. Wilson let out a breath of relief, arms slumping to his side as he dropped his blue gem. When he got towards a visibly shaken Wendy, he quickly wrapped his arms around her. "You're alright?" It took her a moment, but she was able to calm down. "Yeah.. I'm okay. I still don't know what that thing was." Wilson let go of her, straightening up again as he relaxed his joints. "A past regret, come back to haunt me." Wendy couldn't help but snort, appreciating the sardonic humor of Wilson's response. "Like Abigail?" Wilson let a small smile get through as he walked back towards his scientific machines. "Not quite. Come on, we should get ready for the upcoming Winter."

Edited by 23rd
  • Like 1

Did you get Letch's LED?

It sure is weird when people talk to each other about personal stuff in posts instead of personal messages. hint hint

Edited by 23rd

Finding Peace

Chapter 3 of 3: Warmth in the cold

When Wilson woke up in the middle of the night to find that Wendy had disappeared, he panicked. The panic dimmed into pure curiosity, however, when he saw the dead monsters while he searched. It can be easy to forget how capable a friend is when you care enough about their safety. Hunting for Wendy was reminding Wilson much of the first time he'd tried to hunt down a koalephant, following the latest sign that was left behind and looking around for the next one. Eventually he came to a small wooded clearing, the treetops keeping the ground bare of snow. And there she was, crouched nearby one of the graves that were scattered around the area.

Wilson pulled his winter hat off as he entered the secluded area, surprised at the unnatural warmth around this specific grave. Wendy nodded towards him, acknowledging his presence, but otherwise didn't say anything. "This is Abigail's grave." Wilson took a seat, folding his legs as he got comfortable. "It's been ten days since that thing attacked us. I haven't seen her since then.. even when I tried to summon her." Wilson looked at Wendy, then the grave. Abigail was poorly etched into the top of the tombstone, a dying red flower resting over the burial mound. Finally, he spoke. "What do you think it means?" Wendy answered instinctively, her smile tired but genuine. "It means she doesn't have to stay and protect me anymore. She's at peace."

They sat there for several hours, amazingly never once being interrupted by the many creatures that skulk around during the night. Wilson couldn't help but wonder what Abigail, this girl he'd never met, was like in life. Wendy was just quietly enjoying the feeling that something she knew to be good and just had finally happened since she came to this world. Eventually the two stood up and headed back to the camp, but not without Wilson making sure Wendy was wearing his winter hat to keep warm. Behind them, dead red petals disappeared into the burial mound, the soil flushing with color.

Edited by 23rd
  • Like 1

Monster

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." My mother said that. I always admired my mother, she had a lot of amazing qualities. Her unwillingness to give up was one of them. When dad died and we were on the edge of poverty, she worked her fingers to the bone to keep us from starving. I could see the exhaustion in the way she walked every day; working in a warehouse all day wasn't healthy for a woman her age. But she persisted, and we never went hungry. I'd like to think she passed some of her indomitable perseverance onto me, I can't think of any other reason I'm still searching for light after waking up every day to pitch black skies in this unforgiving wilderness.

My eyes have adjusted to the dark well enough to see what's directly in front of me, but that's about it. Occasionally I'll see things move out of the corner of my eye, but it's always too dark to make out anything other than vague shapes. I'm sure they're not friendly, I probably wouldn't want to see them, come to think of it.. wait. Something just lit up in the distance. It's just a dot on the horizon but.. yes, it has to be! A campfire! Someone else is out here, and they just lit a campfire!

I didn't even know I could run this fast, it feels like the I'm soaring. The wind rushes by with each leap I take, and before I know it I'm at the edge of the campfire. Suddenly, my hope erupts into joy. It's him! It's him, and he's here! I thought he was gone, that They'd killed him, but he's here! Excitedly, I run forward, wrapping my arms around him.

Then he screams.

My eyes shoot open, and my breath catches in my throat. There's blood everywhere, and it's all over my.. my hands. In the light, I can finally see them, but they're distorted. The fingers are bonier and sharper, skin pale and cracked. I recoil in horror, looking up at him as he struggles to breathe. In moments he collapses, dead, the front of his suit cut open where the blood coagulates over his wounds.

I did this.

This is my fault.

I'm so sorry Maxy.

• Like 5