[Mod Idea] Clockwork Tooth Trap

Ortorin

While that might make realistic sense, it doesn't follow vanilla game logic.Also, it would be a pain in the arse trying to balance that properly.

Maybe you could have it go down as the teeth are removed, surely having a tooth removed from the trap would cause it to do less damage, as less spikes are being applied to the victims feet/posterior/wateveruwannabelieve

If you want it to stay the same, just say

"Since there's less weight with the tooth gone, it goes up faster, hitting harder and digging deeper."

Teeth aren't exactly the heaviest things in the world :razz:

Edit - Really, tooths? *facepalm*

Look, if the damage is reduced by the number of teeth left on the trap, balancing will be an issue. They already cost a rather rare gear, and it takes 1/2 times more teeth than regular traps for the same amount of uses. These ingredients were chosen to be a balance to the automatic nature of the clockwork traps.

If the damage reduces with use, then is the recipe and upkeep costs worth what you get out of it? No one knows for sure, the trap hasn't been put through real-game testing yet. Maybe once there has been 100 days or so passed in a world with the current setup, then this idea might be brought back up for consideration.

Help us out by paying with the mod yourself and tell us what you think. The more feedback the better this trap can be.

Is this good simplex?

Yep. ;]

I made the inventory icon by taking the trap in the center and downscaling it to 64x64.

I'm attaching the mod with your art (and with the reset timer raised to 8 seconds).

It's still without a mod icon, since it has to be 128x128, and just upscaling the inventory image would give it a distorted look.

ClockworkToothTrap.zip

This is my bare-bones camp for the testing. Even though it's not fully built, you can get a good idea of what I'm going to do.

Main shot of the camp

I've kept the camp small to stop hounds and other mobs from spawning inside. The idea is to funnel all the mobs to the "Death Bridge".1CSdQ9F.jpg

Death Bridge

The grass walls there are not a mistake, they are doors. I will incite the Bunnymen to come after me by holding some meat. They will then run along the coast to the opening of the Death Bridge and proceed to kill themselves on the clockwork traps I'll have there. This setup gives one area of traps two uses: Bunnyman farm and hostile mob defense.TS213P5.jpg

Where the bees go...

I'll have a bee field wrap around this corner on the outside of my base.Rqm6HyM.jpg

The local map

Mipmlci.jpg

I didn't take the time to really measure anything out, I'm just winging it. I think this will be an effective way of testing the traps, so I'm just gonna run with this setup. I hope I don't die before I get some good data. xD

This is my bare-bones camp for the testing. Even though it's not fully built, you can get a good idea of what I'm going to do.

Main shot of the camp

I've kept the camp small to stop hounds and other mobs from spawning inside. The idea is to funnel all the mobs to the "Death Bridge".1CSdQ9F.jpg

Death Bridge

The grass walls there are not a mistake, they are doors. I will incite the Bunnymen to come after me by holding some meat. They will then run along the coast to the opening of the Death Bridge and proceed to kill themselves on the clockwork traps I'll have there. This setup gives one area of traps two uses: Bunnyman farm and hostile mob defense.TS213P5.jpg

Where the bees go...

I'll have a bee field wrap around this corner on the outside of my base.Rqm6HyM.jpg

The local map

Mipmlci.jpg

I didn't take the time to really measure anything out, I'm just winging it. I think this will be an effective way of testing the traps, so I'm just gonna run with this setup. I hope I don't die before I get some good data. xD

WOW, i would LOVE to have a base with a bridge surrounded by two lakes like you got!!!

I would make an amazing castle with that XD

On a related note to the mod, i have two things to report, first of all, the art for the toothtrap in the creation tab is the same as the golden spear mod for me "bug because of said mod?"

and second of all, when inspecting it says "placeholder description"

Well, i have an idea for what Wolfgang could say, that would be in characted with his personality, make him say "Is houndtooth made poweful as i from gear" or something along those lines, but dont forget he almost alwasy starts his sentences with "is" XD

On a related note to the mod, i have two things to report, first of all, the art for the toothtrap in the creation tab is the same as the golden spear mod for me "bug because of said mod?"

and second of all, when inspecting it says "placeholder description"

That was an oversight on my end, I forgot to specify which image to use in the recipe tab, and when that happens the game uses the one for the item right above it. The fixed mod is attached below.

And about the description, I think considering that the character says "Placeholder description." it's pretty clear that it's not a bug. :razz:

And oh, @Xjurwi or @Blazingice26, I noticed the inventory image is gooey with white stuff. It's more visible in the recipe tab, but can also be seen in the inventory slot image.

iDGgVqG.png

EDIT: Wait, blazingice, you did the mod icon, not the inventory image. Ignore that.

ClockworkToothTrap.zip

That was an oversight on my end, I forgot to specify which image to use in the recipe tab, and when that happens the game uses the one for the item right above it. The fixed mod is attached below.

And about the description, I think considering that the character says "Placeholder description." it's pretty clear that it's not a bug. :razz:

And oh, @Xjurwi or @Blazingice26, I noticed the inventory image is gooey with white stuff. It's more visible in the recipe tab, but can also be seen in the inventory slot image.

iDGgVqG.png

I noticed that to when I was testing the mod, weird.

iDGgVqG.png

EDIT: Wait, blazingice, you did the mod icon, not the inventory image. Ignore that.

I wasn't saying it was a bug about the "placeholder description" i was just giving my suggestion for what Wolfgang should say and stating that you guys may just have forgotten to add description :loyal:

Oh, and edit: in my previous post i said "Is houndtooth made poweful as i from gear"

it should have said "Is houndtooth made as poweful as i from gear"

Archived