How To: Install and Use Mods

Cheerio

• Developer
Mods allow players to get creative and make their own changes to Don't Starve. You can download and install mods from both the Klei Downloads Page and the Steam Workshop. For instructions on installing mods, please click on one of the links below. If you run into any trouble, please reply to this post.  Have fun :-).

Click here for instructions on installing a mod from the Klei Downloads Page.

Click here for instructions on installing a mod from the Steam Workshop.

If you decide to download a mod for Don't Starve and hit a snag, please keep in mind that all mods are to be used at your own risk. We can only provide technical support for unmodified versions of the game.

• Like 4

I have a mac, and everytime I download a mod it saves as a .rar.  When I drag it to the mod folder, and open the game, it doesn't show up. 

You have to decompress the file - you will get a folder to put in the mods folder.

Use something like Stuffit Expander, BetterZip, UnRarX, Zipeg, etc to decompress it.

Hello,

I have a mac, and I play through steam. I really don't understand where is the mod folder. I even can't find the don't starve app. Please Help. Thank you

There are two ways to find it easily.

Either right click the game in steam, go to properties, then go the the "Local Files" tab, and click "Browse Local Files," or right-click the game from the dock - it'll be there while the game's running - and go to "Options > Show in Finder."

That will take you to the app, and from there, you should be alright.

Though if you have it on steam, and it's all going over your head... stick to the workshop - much less hassle. =)

Hi,

i buy the game and install it on my Mac but i have some problems…i download a mod and put it in the mods folder, then i open the game but i can't see anything! the message on the mods'line on the right appears "loading".

I also don't understand why i can't change standards when i play game!it starts immediately and i can't change anything

• Like 1

There are two ways to find it easily.

Either right click the game in steam, go to properties, then go the the "Local Files" tab, and click "Browse Local Files," or right-click the game from the dock - it'll be there while the game's running - and go to "Options > Show in Finder."

That will take you to the app, and from there, you should be alright.

Though if you have it on steam, and it's all going over your head... stick to the workshop - much less hassle. =)

Thank you so much. The mod I wanted was on klei but not anymore available on the steam workshop. I followed your explanations and it worked perfectly. I'm very grateful !!

I have the mods folder and extract the mods I've downloaded from here into it. They show up when I click mods in the game, but they all say crashed. I enable them, but then they end up being disabled. I haven't gotten a single one to work. My game is updated, so I'm not sure why they aren't working. 

The standalone mac install is different for me than shown above.  Not sure if it was the latest update or what but here is how i got mods to work on the latest version from GOG.

/Applications/Don't Starve/Don't Starve.app/contents/resources THEN Right click  the Don't Starve.app> show package contents> Contents/mods    <--mods was already there so i did not have to create it myself.

Drag and drop the mod folders into this folder close all of the Finder windows out then Launch the game.  The mods should now be on the mod page in game for you to enable or disable.

• Like 1

I have the same problem as saraugo. I download the mod then put it in the mod folder but it won't show up in the game. Anyone know what to do?

I am having this problem as well. None of the mods I have downloaded properly and then put into the mods folder are showing up in the in game mods page to activate. Help?

hola yo trengo un problema solo me a dejado instalar 2 mods a mi el tomani items y el mod de traducion al español pero cuando instalo otros mods como por ejemplo las tiki torch me dise crashed  no importa q mod sea me dise eso con todos menos con el tomani items y el de traducion al español

Hi i have the same problem as IvyMist. When i open the mods a box that says Steam Workshop shows up and i can't get to the mods nor can i go back to the menu. i have to forcefully turn off the game or i can't go back. I am with windows 7. Please help.

Hi i have the same problem as IvyMist. When i open the mods a box that says Steam Workshop shows up and i can't get to the mods nor can i go back to the menu. i have to forcefully turn off the game or i can't go back. I am with windows 7. Please help.

How about you buy the game, then you will not have this issue!

• Like 1

Hello. I bought the game and it's expansion from gog.com and the two guides for installing mods don't work for me.

This is where my game folder is:

Libraries>Documents>Klei>DoNotStarve

And the only files under this is one folder labeled save and two files: log and settings. I have searched the rest of my documents and computer for any other Don't Starve files and found none. I then tried adding in my mods alongside the already exisiting files in the DoNotStarve folder, then even added a folder labeled mods, but still the mods I add do not appear ingame.

Can anyone help me on this? Or are games purchased from gog.com unable to have mods added to them? Please and thank you!

I have an Idea for a character design, If anyone knows how to make downloadable characters, I'd greatly appreciate being able to play as myself in the way I designed myself. Heres the character design I came up with.

The Link:

http://coke08killer.deviantart.com/art/Don-t-Starve-Character-Design-Edwin-499788622?ga_submit_new=10%253A1418392938

The Link:

http://coke08killer.deviantart.com/art/Don-t-Starve-Character-Design-Edwin-499788622?ga_submit_new=10%253A1418392938