Nov 12th Bugfix / Performance update

Kevin

• Developer

Hey guys! We've been working behind the scenes to do a bunch of bug fixing and optimizations for DS. There's no update video or punny name for this one, but here's an update for you all.

REVISION 89685

Gameplay fixes
  • Add naughtiness to smallish tallbird
  • shadow maxwells scare rabbits
  • wilson is invincible while sleeping
  • fix recipe prototyping to work with new tech level splits
  • fix for Winter is generated in spite of the 'Season' preset setting being set to 'Only Summer'. in the 'World Menu'
  • fix for wolfgang saying how mighty he is and totally ruining everything in the intro NIS
  • Make telelocator check for water when teleporting randomly
  • prevent infinite loot fountain from beaver-gnawed spiky tree
  • Stumps can now be lit on fire after loading.
  • Stumps now propagate fire.
  • fix for placing structures after eating a glow fruit
  • fix maxwell mine visibility
  • heatrocks work in backpacks
  • instead of clearing followers from saveindex on load which can result in them being lost, clear followers on any save that is not an ascend/descend
  • fix crash when lureplants eat bees
  • Now reset the colour cube on load to deal with loading and saving between insane and non insane games.
  • made evergreens and cave entrances non-clickable when they are first worked to stop you from interacting with them by accident
  • Planted pine cone has different name from unplanted
  • Abigail is is now tagged as a "character", additionally the tentacle will retaliate against anything in range that is attacking it
  • lantern swap bug fix
  • lantern can't be turned on in pocket
  • killing a baby beefalo is very naughty
  • Made a "SelfStacker" component and added it to the houndstooth, monster meat and spoiledfood to improve base clenliness and performance in very long games
  • Rubble no longer crashes
  • Armour will always return 0 damage if the absorb percent is >= 1.
  • There is now only one "Sinkhole" room per task. This will remove the case of regularly seeing two cave entrances near each other.
  • Made "characterspecific.lua" a component for items that are only supposed to be on one character. Added it to all character specific items.
  • fix bug where nightmare stuff was getting turned on in second overworlds
  • fix for occasional cave gen fail
  • Fix for wes talking
  • Walrus blow dart is no longer targettable/inspectable during flight
  • Fix for two bugs: Leif not exiting frozen once hit and minotaur being stunlockable.
  • Made beefalo poop in the old way, and fixed a problem with their babies never showing up
  • Catcher now makes sure the projectile it's tracking is valid before attempting to preform functions with it.
  • Combat function now ensures that the entity it's on is still around before calling GetDistSqToInst.
  • Ham bat no longer loses durability from being used, but does spoil over time
  • Ham bat and flower hat both display spoilage graphics instead of text percentages in order to reflect that they are spoiling over time
  • fixed occasional invisible maxwell intro bug
  • properly report farm plot fertilization success
  • make the build placers opaque so that they show up better
  • make burnt trees more visible when they are highlighted
  • Deerclops will knock down anything he collides with that is tagged "tree", allowing him to pass through.
  • Divining rod will not disappear when attacking.
  • made hambat non-edible to avoid interface confusion. Gave it higher damage to compensate.
  • flower hat is not edible to reduce interface confusion
  • make dusk announcement more generic, so that it doesn't mention fire.
  • Inventory items that also have brains will now hibernate while they are held by an owner.
  • Bees no should no longer buzz while in a container.
  • Fix for mandrake crash when travelling between cave levels.
  • Use consistent language for the settings screen in FE and pause menu
  • Fix for inventory items getting into a bad state when you try to put them into an already-full chester
  • Birds can no longer be killed while flying away.
  • Shadow Creatures will not trigger tooth traps.
  • Fix woodie, chester contents, and beard issues when time catches up when leaving / entering caves
  • Fix for dropping equippable tools under full-container conditions
  • Maxwell's Shadows will now die when he does.
  • Fix bee spawn schedule
Controller stuff
  • Added a controller debug menu
  • Improved attack/interaction picker
  • Added vibration (it can be toggled off)
  • added controller hints to the front end screens and made them more consoleish when a controller is attached
  • When using dpad to use un-equipped item on the scene, it will now be equipped if required
  • Fix for item-on-item interactions with controller
  • Fix "for science!" button controller focus when you beat the game
  • Inventory hint stays up longer
  • Added trigger tooltips to inventory and crafting bars
  • Controller tips for inventory and container items are at more sensible offsets
  • add louder controller focus change sound
  • added repeat rate for controller page/value changes
  • hooked up sounds to page flips
  • don't play scrolling sounds after the ends of the crafting menu
  • When using a controller pressing the "INVENTORY_USEONSELF" bind will now first toggle deployable mode on (if applicable) a 2nd press will execute any action related to the bind if deployable mode was triggered.
  • Keep the crafting menu open as you open and close the map
  • make controller scrolling move a page at a time in the character select screen
  • changed the sense of the rotation buttons to be more logical
  • controller focus movement in FE has repeat when held
  • Use the correct string (based on type, not index) to name the controller you're configuring on the controls screen
  • Added default PS3 controller bindings on OSX
  • Added various missing control bindings across platforms
  • Split ui focus controls from movement
  • Split prev/next controls from prev/next page, bound to spinner
  • Controls screen listens for pgup/pgdown, scrolls by half-screens so you can see some paired controls better
  • Deprecated "custom control" values which are unused inhouse, hopefully unused in mods
  • Increment control mapping version, invalidating users' current mapping settings (sorry!)
  • When hovering a stackable item over a stack of the same type the hint now says "Put" instead of "Swap" to match the behaviour
Performance
  • Re-enabled mipmapping on pc - the game should look much cleaner at low resolutions now
  • Set up better timer code for osx and linux
  • Lots of GPU / shader optimizations - the game should run better on older cards
  • made killer bee brains cheaper
  • made controller button popup checker cheaper
  • Fire fighting :o) - Perf improvement with burning trees (lights in general). Light buffer is now quarter res (actually it's fixed res)
  • Lua spike prevention - no defered userdata cleanup, timeslicing "built-in"

UI fixes

• disable crafting/inventory opening when you are a beaver
  • adjust recipe description text over slightly
  • properly pause game when prompting the player to confirm activation of adventure portal so that controller input isn't picked up by the game
  • The audio settings are automatically changed when starting a new game on a fresh install
  • fix scrolling issue with crafting UI
  • Fix mousewheel zoom on map screen
  • clock is now more legible
  • Don't stop FE music when a character is selected
  • Updated fonts in inventory bar for legibility
  • Spoilable inventory items now also have a highlight outline behind their icon/text
  • fix text cut-off in crafting menu
  • replaced big arrow button anims with image buttons
  • hide hud and squelch interaction when going through wormhole
  • map screen panning is smooth instead of chunky
  • Remove non-functional open/close prompt for equipped containers when using controller
  • arrow added to hud for backpack
  • inventory bg is one solid image
  • move chester open menu up to the top of the screen
  • opening chester will close chests and vice-versa (so they don't overlap)
  • Display deaths recorded as "unknown" as "shenanigans" instead
Misc
  • Did full string pass - there should be no more missing strings
  • Player character Art is high-res for nicer closeups

Changes from the preview

• Fix for are corrupted stretched textures on the map when two world settings are set to "lots"
  • Fix for The 'Save and return to main menu' overlay can be continuously looped by spamming the 'I said quit!' button repeatedly
  • fix for placing chests on ponds
  • Stencil bug fix fixes shadow creatures.
  • Fixed red/green lines on minimap.
  • Add inspection text for a planted pinecone on Maxwell and Wickerbottom
  • Fix for "placing" an item out of a container instead of inventory was not removing the item from the container, resulting in a crash
  • Minimap rendering optimizations.
  • Fix for - The user becomes stuck on a non-functional debug screen when using the 'Deconstruction Staff' on a open 'Chest'
  • objects aren't deployable from containers
  • Fix for - The title crashes upon depleting the 'Star Caller's Staff'
  • cancel deploy/plant action if selected inventory item is changed
  • deerclops targets you after he finishes attacking your base
  • Fix not being able to re-map an analog axis between positive and negative without remapping it to something else first

Build 89932 (Nov 19th)

• Integrated better driver and resolution messages.
  • - default bindings for 360 wired controller on OSX
  • - wired 360 controller is detected by available buttons/sticks on OSX
  • allow multiple containers to open when you are using the mouse and keyboard
  • fix for KEDS-179 - don't allow controller deployment from within a container
  • - [bug #1292] cave and follower information is cleared when saving with CompleteLevel
  • fix for interrupted actions when hit
  • fix for entities not falling asleep when teleported
  • fix for stale component reference in projectile
  • you can properly deploy or murder captured butterflies
  • New pot file.
  • - Fix PS4 triggers always held under OSX
  • Add help text for load widget
  • fix for wx78 dying on load if he's upgraded a lot and has a lot of effigies
  • Fix for putting putting partial stacks in a container.
  • Add help text for buttons ("select") and popup dialog ("back") functionality.
  • cave entrances shouldn't show up in adventure mode
  • Fix for flickering walls and such.
  • - [bug #1295] on screen controls don't store controller id between updates to ensure that they are always displaying the correct control tips
  • put an upper limit on the number of birds wickerbottom can spawn at once to avoid out of memory birdameggedon
  • hide the crafting menu when using the pause inventory
  • - [bug #1292] world clock is only advanced to the player's age when entering or leaving caves, not after travelling with the teleportato
  • - additionally the player's age is reset to 0 when entering a world with an age of 0 when not ascending/descending, otherwise the next ascend/descend will advance the world to the previous age value
  • put a cap on map zoom-out
  • fix customization screen override loading
  • Fix for minimap not clearing properly.
  •  

Gameplay fixes

• Made a "SelfStacker" component and added it to the houndstooth, monster meat and spoiledfood to improve base clenliness and performance in very long games
Great overall, but are you sure about spoiled food? It'll turn to rot eventually, so it'd be taken care of then. And I like keeping batches of spoiled food at different rates (usually close by, for organization) for rot production in early/early-mid game.

• Made "characterspecific.lua" a component for items that are only supposed to be on one character. Added it to all character specific items.
Now what is Maxwell going to read before bedtime? :/

• Fix for wes talking
You monster!

• Catcher now makes sure the projectile it's tracking is valid before attempting to preform functions with it.
  • Combat function now ensures that the entity it's on is still around before calling GetDistSqToInst.
Yaaaay, no more stale Transforms! ;D

• Inventory items that also have brains will now hibernate while they are held by an owner.
Weirdest statement ever.

Performance

• Set up better timer code for osx and linux
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, &tp)
?

• Lua spike prevention - no defered userdata cleanup, timeslicing "built-in"
Always appreciated. The garbage collection overhead for high entity counts was quite steep.

Misc

• Player character Art is high-res for nicer closeups
After all the hard work Cheerio had with those mods? ;P

Ahhh, damnit, I guess it was too much to ask that the Maxwell Shadows NOT be nerfed. Oh well...

As far as the missing strings are concerned, the only one I noted was the one for wendy examining a rainometer.

Also....

1. Abigail is now tagged as a "character"? What does that mean?

2. "

• Made beefalo poop in the old way, and fixed a problem with their babies never showing up"

YAY

3. "

• Ham bat no longer loses durability from being used, but does spoil over time"

More yay. Now i'm actually tempted to use it due to lack of tentacle spikes.

4.  Didn't fix the random cave crash due to stale component references?

• Developer

+1 for awesome Ham Bat of awesome.

Yeah, it was kind of a neglected item. We're aiming for 100% controller support and the fact that you could both equip and eat it was causing major interface headaches. My solution was to make it inedible (because that wasn't really useful anyway) and then adjust it so that its still somewhat useful.

Yeah, it was kind of a neglected item. We're aiming for 100% controller support and the fact that you could both equip and eat it was causing major interface headaches. My solution was to make it inedible (because that wasn't really useful anyway) and then adjust it so that its still somewhat useful.

What about the Garland? Does it get a boost too?

• Developer

What about the Garland? Does it get a boost too?

No, I didn't bother. I don't imagine that many people are hanging onto dear life by eating their garlands. :)

@Kevin Sorry to pester, but I hope you guys also fixed the stale component reference crash that mostly happens in caves.

Also, i'm getting a TON of 500 internal server errors on the forums now. Should I tell JoeW?

I honestly couldn't tell you. If it's still happening for you after the update, bring it to @Wade's attention.

I don't imagine that many people are hanging onto dear life by eating their garlands. :-)

Hehe, yeah totally... *cough cough*

Anyway if someone with the preview up could actually give me exact values changed so I can edit the wiki while I'm at it, that'd be great.

Love the changes, especially the Naughtiness and shutting Wes up :) 

But one thing confuses me:

• heatrocks work in backpacks

I thought the reason they didn't work in backpacks was when it was i the dormant or in its "coldest" state and could actually chill you more, you were supposed to switch it to your backpack?

I guess then it just means a very very minor tactics change if it was always supposed to work everywhere? 

Could someone smarter than I am explain the implications of this?

This just prevents a kind of crash when the game tried to determine the position of an entity which no longer existed.

Armour will always return 0 damage left if the absorb percent is >= 1.

This means armor with a full absorption rate will always absorb a full hit, even if the damage absorbed in it is greater than its HP left.

fix bug where nightmare stuff was getting turned on in second overworlds

I have no idea what Kevin meant with "second overworlds"...

This means armor with a full absorption rate will always absorb a full hit, even if the damage absorbed in it is greater than its HP left.

I have no idea what Kevin meant with "second overworlds"...

So the armor one is a fix for the Treeguard dealing damage even with the Crown's and Shell's special effects?

Maybe the nightmare stuff is about the Shadow Creatures dropping nightmare fuel in the ruins?

So the armor one is a fix for the Treeguard dealing damage even with the Crown's and Shell's special effects?

Probably.

Maybe the nightmare stuff is about the Shadow Creatures dropping nightmare fuel in the ruins?

I was going to say that, but I still don't know what "second overworld" is supposed to mean, so... I don't know.

Uh...Ham Bat damage? Anyone?

We should find that when the preview goes live.

Archived