Discussion and theories about the William Carter puzzles.

This is not a full theory, just half of an idea.. (even though I already use these ideas in my story)

But I've been thinking why are the developers doing so much work for the caves while it's still optional to go in there..?

I believe that the caves are supposed to eventually play a really big role in the story of the game. There must be something really important down there. And what does this have to do with William / Maxwell? 

Some things that Maxwell says when he's on the throne really interest me. For example: "There wasn't much here when I showed up. Just dust. And the Void. And Them. I've learned so much since then. I've built so much." 

So Maxwell was the one who turned the world into what we see in the game (that looks quite a lot like the stage where he performed last time), but it's different when it comes to the caves.

If you examine the plugged sinkhole as Maxwell, he says: "I plugged it a long time ago.", and if you open it: "That was not a good idea!"

Why does he want the entrance to the caves to be plugged?

I also realized that the caves are the only place with earthquakes.

During the Praecantator puzzles I found out about the San Francisco earthquake that occured a day after Maxwell and Charlie were caught by the shadow arms. And it seems that the earthquake had something to do with the Shadow Watcher that remained in the "real" world.

If the shadow creatures are responsible for the earthquakes, does that mean that Maxwell tried to restrain those creatures underground in the DS-world(s)..? 

Also, what about the eternal darkness in the last chapter and the epilogue of the adventure mode. Why wasn't Maxwell able to get rid of the shadows and darkness (shadow watchers only appear at night / when it's dark) from those worlds as well? I think it has something to do with his quote: "I don't know what they want. They... they just watch. Unless you get too close... Then..."

I wonder if Maxwell was actually trying to pursue Them (perhaps to save Charlie), and attempting to destroy the whole "shadow realm" or whatever it should be called. He was allowed to act freely in the worlds that were less important to Them, but when he was about to reach whatever he was aiming for, he was bound to the throne.

Anyway, these are just some ideas that I came up with recently. I'm probably wrong like usually, but I'd like to hear what you guys think about this. ^^"

• Like 4

This is not a full theory, just half of an idea.. (even though I already use these ideas in my story)

But I've been thinking why are the developers doing so much work for the caves while it's still optional to go in there..?

I believe that the caves are supposed to eventually play a really big role in the story of the game. There must be something really important down there. And what does this have to do with William / Maxwell? 

Some things that Maxwell says when he's on the throne really interest me. For example: "There wasn't much here when I showed up. Just dust. And the Void. And Them. I've learned so much since then. I've built so much."

So Maxwell was the one who turned the world into what we see in the game (that looks quite a lot like the stage where he performed last time), but it's different when it comes to the caves.

If you examine the plugged sinkhole as Maxwell, he says: "I plugged it a long time ago.", and if you open it: "That was not a good idea!"

Why does he want the entrance to the caves to be plugged?

I also realized that the caves are the only place with earthquakes.

During the Praecantator puzzles I found out about the San Francisco earthquake that occured a day after Maxwell and Charlie were caught by the shadow arms. And it seems that the earthquake had something to do with the Shadow Watcher that remained in the "real" world.

If the shadow creatures are responsible for the earthquakes, does that mean that Maxwell tried to restrain those creatures underground in the DS-world(s)..? 

Also, what about the eternal darkness in the last chapter and the epilogue of the adventure mode. Why wasn't Maxwell able to get rid of the shadows and darkness (shadow watchers only appear at night / when it's dark) from those worlds as well? I think it has something to do with his quote: "I don't know what they want. They... they just watch. Unless you get too close... Then..."

I wonder if Maxwell was actually trying to pursue Them (perhaps to save Charlie), and attempting to destroy the whole "shadow realm" or whatever it should be called. He was allowed to act freely in the worlds that were less important to Them, but when he was about to reach whatever he was aiming for, he was bound to the throne.

Anyway, these are just some ideas that I came up with recently. I'm probably wrong like usually, but I'd like to hear what you guys think about this. ^^"

I think what you think is quite interesting. Also he banished the Rock Lobsters down there for some reason...He probably had his kingdom down there, with servant creatures who should build his Clockwork Army to finally defeat his ''masters'' This reminds me of Saruman.....

J.R.R. Tolkien > Quotes > Quotable Quote

656983.jpg

“Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Gandalf”

― J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit

And the quote of Fangorn/Treebeard about Saruman:  Previously Saruman often wandered into my woods. Now he has only metal and wheels in mind. He has no interest to growing organisms anymore.

This and the Clockworks...

Edited by MilleniumCount
  • Like 3

I think what you think is quite interesting. Also he banished the Rock Lobsters down there for some reason...He probably had his kingdom down there, with servant creatures who should build his Clockwork Army to finally defeat his ''masters'' This reminds me of Saruman.....

656983.jpg

“Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Gandalf”

And the quote of Fangorn/Treebeard about Saruman:  Previously Saruman often wandered into my woods. Now he has only metal and wheels in mind. He has no interest to growing organisms anymore.

Oh yeah! Now you made me think about the Rock Lobsters and the Clockworks. Interesting.. :encouragement:

656983.jpg

This makes a lot of sense, interesting.

So....we were chattering on about HP Lovecraft stuff so I went pawing around...

It doesn't really mean anything, but I think it might be possible that Charlie is named for Charles Dexter Ward. For starters, that last name begins with an extremely suspicious letter, and Charlie is a common nickname for Charles. I know that Charlie's full name is probably Charlotte or the like, but I thought the nickname and the "W" last name were worth taking note of. 

Now, the rest of these similarities are very, very tenuous. Don't get your hopes up, but bear with me.

In "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward", the protagonist, Charles, is replaced halfway through by an evil version of himself, but one almost exactly identical.  In the story, this is a past ancestor, a necromancer who he himself summons , so the parallel is far from exact, but the "substitution of an evil Charlie" thing is interesting.

The story also heavily features summoning, though it is of the dead and not shadow creatures like those seen in DS. But it can apply to more than just the dead, as one particular quote from a letter in the text reads

"As I told you longe ago, do not calle up That which you can not put downe; either from dead Saltes or out of yeSpheres beyond."

In essence, don't summon something that you can't control or banish...which is exactly what Maxwell wound up doing, eventually culminating in whatever happens to Charlie. 

Again, as I said, there are a ton of differences here that aren't in keeping with the Don't Starve canon, i.e. in this story Charles is the necromancer, and is responsible for his own fate, the whole forbidden knowledge shtick. In this sense, he's quite similar to Maxwell, who we've already pegged as a Carter. But the name "Charles (...or Charlie, if you will) Ward" and his replacement with an extremely similar, homicidal version of himself, is close enough to the fate of his lovely assistant to irritate me. 

Ok, looking at it now, this is 99.999% complete and total bullcrap (and yes that is a real percentage I have calculated just now with the power of SCIENCE), because it's late and I just emerged from the Tartarus that is studying for my physics exam. I need to stay away from this thread... I was actually supposed to get work done on my tarot card tonight. HA. 

So feel free to ignore this half conscious slurry, except for the name thing, because for carp's sake it's basically a Charlie with a W last name and I'm not sure what else I can say about that.  

*gestures vaguely in a Captain Jack Sparrow-eque manner and retreats to bed*

• Like 2

What I want to know is why is Charlie's sister so important? She was mentioned twice, and we could have easily gotten the same clues and messages without a mention of her. She may have more importance to the plot than we realize.

Well we have a cast of characters we know about in the world. 90 percent are playable characters. The only other persons we have are Williams brother Jack, Charlies sister and perhaps the crook William was owing money.

Now there are little snippets of crossovers like the Circus poster with the Strongman (Wolfgang?) the fact that Jack got twin daughters (Wendy and Abigail) perhaps there are more connections. And everything is bonded together more than we think now.

The fact that we don't know very much about the characters means Charlies sister could be important or not, we don't know.

Edited by MilleniumCount