DLC Pack Ideas

Honestly, I would like to see new characters since we haven't had one since Woodie and there still are all those unimplemented ones like Winnie, for example, who are almost complete, and yet, are still still not in-game. 

Also, I would much rather have add-ons to the outside world than the cave seeing as that is where we spend most of our time anyway and it also hasn't, or barely, been touched in a few months. I think adding the anti-winter would be great seeing as it would add a lot of new gameplay in the outside world. The opinions on the caves are very mixed and I don't think adding the lava part would be the best for the whole of the community like the heat waves would be, but they would still be a nice thing to have.

I think that adding a new biome in the outside world would be a great addition seeing as we haven't had any new biomes since the Maxwell areas if I recall correctly. Maybe something like deserts, where I remember some presets were already in the codes or something completely new, like a tropical forest-y kind of place. 

Obviously, most of us have completed adventure mode and having an other chapter of that would be awesome. You could have some missions that have something to do with the other new additions of the DLC. 

Besides that, I think it'd be nice to see some completely unrelated craftables for fun. Random little useful things would be great, like that beach umbrella idea mentioned here. Also, something cool like the Heatstone, but to cool you down during the heatwaves would be awesome if they are implemented!

But I somehow doubt both the antiwinter and lava caves will come along because they have said themselves that they had no plans to bring them into the game (back in July I think)

Besides that, I think it'd be nice to see some completely unrelated craftables for fun. Random little useful things would be great, like that beach umbrella idea mentioned here. Also, something cool like the Heatstone, but to cool you down during the heatwaves would be awesome if they are implemented!

Maybe an ice pack or something that you put into a fridge to cool it down, and it works sort of like the heatstone. Just with coldness. Maybe made with 2 blue gems, 1 pig skin, and 15 silk?

Maybe an ice pack or something that you put into a fridge to cool it down, and it works sort of like the heatstone. Just with coldness. Maybe made with 2 blue gems, 1 pig skin, and 15 silk?

I think the items are a good choice for crafting it, but considering how cheap it is to make the heatstone, I think 15 silk is a bit much, I'd go with 2 or 3 of them instead. I was thinking about the fridge to cool it down too

I really hope the heatwave is implemented sometime soon because the more I get ideas for it and read some on here, the more I get excited for it, even though they pretty much said it was never going to happen...

Hey, so we all know according to the road map DLC is imminent! So I was thinking of a pack of 3 things every one DLC. Such as maybe a new mob, a new character a new cave level and other substitutions that you can think of. I think this will make it easier then releasing just one thing every DLC release. Personally I find 5$ will be reasonable depending on the depth of the pack. Let me know what you think of my idea!

I hope it will be more original that only a new cave, monster or character. Klei was talk about a brand new experience. We can have some ideas with the lasts officials mods.

I think the items are a good choice for crafting it, but considering how cheap it is to make the heatstone, I think 15 silk is a bit much, I'd go with 2 or 3 of them instead. I was thinking about the fridge to cool it down too

Except that a fridge isn't always accessible within the first game year.  The randomness of gears from graves means sometimes you have to go without until you find the chess biome, and that frequently doesn't happen until the second or third Summer (for me).

The heatstone, on the other hand, is basically guaranteed to be available before Winter.

I also think 2 blue gems, 1 pig skin, and 15 silk is WAY too expensive when compared to the heat stone and when the necessity of the item is taken into account.

How about the obvious?

You know, the ending that never got finished.

True true, but it'd be a bummer if that was the only new feature implemented.. I can't talk for everybody, but I would rather have a new sandbox feature than an adventure mode that would last me maybe a couple or weeks. It would be really nice to see both, though :-)

Except that a fridge isn't always accessible within the first game year.  The randomness of gears from graves means sometimes you have to go without until you find the chess biome, and that frequently doesn't happen until the second or third Summer (for me).

The heatstone, on the other hand, is basically guaranteed to be available before Winter.

I also think 2 blue gems, 1 pig skin, and 15 silk is WAY too expensive when compared to the heat stone and when the necessity of the item is taken into account.

I agree that 15 silk is a little insane, that's why I only suggested 2 or 3, because, silk is pretty easy to get. True, the gears are occasionally hard to find... I guess maybe something like rocks or gold would be better?

Blue gems may also be difficult prior to Winter so it would partially depend on the order of the seasons.  Yeah, they usually show up with some grave digging but how many days will you have before you need the cool stone?  For such a (presumably) necessary item you really need to go with components that are known to be available.

The heat stone can become "stone cold," which actually has the opposite effect. Just adding more levels of coldness to it (a lighter and lighter hue of turquoise/blue) would suffice.

I also think the icebox should be powered by blue gems, since it's basically anti-fire (while fire needs to be refueled regularly). Adding an excess of gems further multiplies the amount of time something is preserved (from x2, x2.5, x3, etc.), also giving use to all those surplus ones. These "tiers" would be reflected by mist being emitted by gaps in the fridge, along with icicles and frost developing. Perhaps at (x4) preservation duration, food would be literally frozen and need to be thawed by a fire first. However, carrying around a frozen piece of food would allow it to last longer without expiring, helpful for journeys when you can easily access a source of heat somewhere in order to consume it.

The heat stone can become "stone cold," which actually has the opposite effect. Just adding more levels of coldness to it (a lighter and lighter hue of turquoise/blue) would suffice.

I also think the icebox should be powered by blue gems, since it's basically anti-fire (while fire needs to be refueled regularly). Adding an excess of gems further multiplies the amount of time something is preserved (from x2, x2.5, x3, etc.), also giving use to all those surplus ones. These "tiers" would be reflected by mist being emitted by gaps in the fridge, along with icicles and frost developing. Perhaps at (x4) preservation duration, food would be literally frozen and need to be thawed by a fire first. However, carrying around a frozen piece of food would allow it to last longer without expiring, helpful for journeys when you can easily access a source of heat somewhere in order to consume it.

This post is made of win.

Does this mean somebody needs to make a Steve Austin character mod? :grin:

Wolfgang's arch rival ;P

And to clarify, I'm just expanding upon a feature the heat stone already has; if it becomes a very pale blue, that means it's freezing cold and is contributing to the detrimental fall in your body temperature, which is countered by placing it in a backpack. Just a tip if you didn't already know that about the default game.

I wanna see more portmanteaus.  We've already got Merms, Pigmen, Bunnymen, Koalaphants, Snurtles, Pengulls, um... do Rock Lobsters count?

Squizard?  Squid + Lizard

Allamagator?  Llama + Alligator

Hammerhead Giraffe?  Shark + Giraffe

Owlocerous?  Owl+ Rhinocerous

Chimpmoose?  Chipmunk + Goose

I think the general consensus is we'd like more playability out of the game for the long run. Maybe having some sweet new loot in a new biome on the overworld would be good. Maybe even a new cave level with the same, but what if when you nabbed that sweet loot it changed your world a little, similar to opening a sink hole but with more than just a few bats at dusk. Like sanity fissures appearing on the overworld if you over use those altars, or some other new mob out to kill you for waking it up.

That's my two cents anyways.

I'm glad to see so many people seems to still want to see the heating season and lava things in Don't Starve. When I read that they wouldn't implement those things just yet (or ever?) I got a bit disappointed. But uh yeah.. this gives meh hope 'n' stuff.

There isn't much else I would like to see other than that and maybe a little spring and fall bits added to seasons. I wouldn't want too much things added to be honest. I like as it is now too, a rather simple game. If there were to be many more things to explore I'd rather have them spread apart time-wise or space-wise. So maybe somehow events based upon days survived. Or like someone just mentioned above that the teleportato in survival mode would actually bring something new for you to explore. Perhaps certain biomes only appear after a certain amount of teleportato-ing?

A sandy beach biome sounds kinda cool too I suppose. I personally feel that they could easily feel out of place if done wrong though.

EDIT: also, I feel like our worlds, although randomly generated, are so very very alike. I seem to notice the same patterns in it somehow. I'd like to see more random awesome and crazy things happening to the worlds. So that I can just pause the game once in a while and go "wow, I HAVE to show this crazy world generation to someone" But that's not really dlc is it?

I'd love to see more biomes too, especially some very strange ones that are particularly rare and/or don't have to  be in every generated world.  If there could be some kind of unique mechanic or characteristic to them, I wouldn't mind seeing another species like the pigs that could, like the pigs, build homes or villages or whatever -- but they'd have to be more than just a re-skin.   Maybe an entire biome or species that could only be seen when sanity is low?  Er, I don't know.  Sometimes I wish I could interact with some of the shadowy things. ;) 
As for roofs, yes, I think about that a lot... I couldn't care less about a floor, but a roof?  Hell yeah.  I used to assume it couldn't be done, but things like Waverly's tree show that huge objects are possible... maybe a "canopy" that works like a giant umbrella, protecting anyone within a certain radius of its center.  And gates for my walls. ;)  Not sure this amounts to a dlc-theme, though.  

So if dlc needs a theme and more content than a regular update, then perhaps the heat-related dlc people seem to hope for, yeah.  
Or, underwater?  We've seen the "home of the bunny-men," but where are the pengulls coming from?  That would be a big enough of a project to justify a dlc with a solid price-tag rather than just a free update -- I'd throw my money at it.  New biomes and visuals, new creatures, items, crazy inventions, resources, and food, and a whole new set of survival problems -- perhaps, air instead of light, and things to bring back to the surface.  And a new character with abilities connected to underwater life, perhaps.  I'm sure Wilson's science could come up with a way to go underwater anyway, and he's probably odd enough to try, even if "just because."  

I'm glad to see so many people seems to still want to see the heating season and lava things in Don't Starve. When I read that they wouldn't implement those things just yet (or ever?) I got a bit disappointed. But uh yeah.. this gives meh hope 'n' stuff.

There isn't much else I would like to see other than that and maybe a little spring and fall bits added to seasons. I wouldn't want too much things added to be honest. I like as it is now too, a rather simple game. If there were to be many more things to explore I'd rather have them spread apart time-wise or space-wise. So maybe somehow events based upon days survived. Or like someone just mentioned above that the teleportato in survival mode would actually bring something new for you to explore. Perhaps certain biomes only appear after a certain amount of teleportato-ing?

Yeah I agree about the seasons. Klei added the "dusk" sequence of days as a preliminary warning for players that night was approaching, whereas before it occurred spontaneously leaving many unprepared. If they did the same with a fall before winter, maybe the transition would be a bit smoother. Shouldn't be too hard to achieve, either; change the color schematics of everything to autumn. Add dead leaves on the bottom of forests and some on grasslands, with a crunchy sound effect when stepping on them.

Archived