Worms are ridiculous

Alrighty, back on topic.

So this is what I want to know in order to further understand why people think worms are ridiculous. Is it the sheer amount of them that you have to face, is it how frequently that you have to face them, or is even fighting just one such a  laborious task that you dislike them?

Both for me. And it becomes really hard above 4. Especially due to grouping and traps not helping AND (seemingly) they not being restricted by certain types of turf which could be fair for "safe ground" due to traps being largely ineffective. Having to run to Rock Lobsters all the time is the same problem with Hounds and running to Beefalo. These should be a combat method the player who is alone can have or build to survive that is doable and non twitch-kiting-reactive when you get large numbers.

But I don't do that well in caves still (getting better) so my experience may be novice-restricted. 

EUREKA!

I have created a wall that Depths Worms are not able to pass!

Look at the bottom wall there, you can see the dirt getting thrown into the air by two Depths Worms. I used this setup to single one of three away from the rest of the pack. =D

In order to build this wall, you need to place the pine cones first. The wall pieces are then placed between the pine cones before they grow into trees. The walls may bump the pine cones a bit to make room for themselves, so start at the end of your wall as apposed to a corner.

*edit* idk what happened to the spacing of the lines in this post... but whatever... I DID IT!!!!! =D =D =D 

didn't even take that long. xD

8H9KFxd.jpg

Now I just need to refine this wall idea to make it more like a trap. =)

Upon further testing I found out that I am an idiot. xD 

It is unnecessary to use the trees to make a wall to stop the Depths Worms... sigh.

One interesting thing I found was the ability  to place a wall next to a berry bush at just the right place to create a super small opening. The opening is so small that mobs have a hard time making it through, but you can with ease. 

Back to testing.

They don't go through them, but they do go around. In the walls in my picture they actually get stuck trying to go a straight line at you, but if you have just a plan wall they will path-find around it.

I'll have a new pic up in a minute to show my new creation. =3

TY, it's at least a tactic I can use with "sides and edges."

I predict a lot of cave bases made on corners in the future from now on....

Don't be so hasty!

This one might not be that pretty, but it is 360 degree protction from worms. You can see that there is one at my berry bush gate that can't get in.

THAT'S RIGHT KLEI, i MADE A GATE!

BTW, there are about 15 worms surrounding me in this picture xD

varoZrl.jpg

Here we are ladies and germs, the ultimate in Depths Worms protection... berry bushes!

Leave a 1 wide opening in your wall. Grab a bush and place it dead center to that opening and slowly move away from the wall. The trick is to get the bush just a hair further away from the wall than the minimum distance needed. After placing the bush, place the two wall pieces that frame it and you are done! You'll know you have it right when you can just barely squeeze by the bush to get inside. (I've found that you sometimes need to have a bit of a running start)

This is not fool-proof. Every so often a worm might slip through. Let's be honest though, 1 worm is WAY better than 6. =D

If I come up with any improvements to my system, I'll post it up.  (thinking on it, there should be a minimum of two bushes like in the picture above for even more insurance.)

So whatcha think? Pretty spiffy huh?

VNT8v0b.jpg

Don't be so hasty!

This one might not be that pretty, but it is 360 degree protction from worms. You can see that there is one at my berry bush gate that can't get in.

THAT'S RIGHT KLEI, i MADE A GATE!

BTW, there are about 15 worms surrounding me in this picture xD

Thulecite club on day 7? Plz teach me.

interested in what you may come up with, with that! XD

edit: mmmm scratch that, i was on the fourth page and for some odd reason i tought i was watching the last post of the thread, and i dont know how to delete that, so i will forever look like an idiot... :indecisiveness:

edit 2: Soooo, does your gates work with any mobs? and will playing with a controller be precise enough to place the bushes?

interested in what you may come up with, with that! XD

edit: mmmm scratch that, i was on the fourth page and for some odd reason i tought i was watching the last post of the thread, and i dont know how to delete that, so i will forever look like an idiot... :indecisiveness:

edit 2: Soooo, does your gates work with any mobs? and will playing with a controller be precise enough to place the bushes?

Spiders have a hard time getting through, but they slip by more frequently (since they are smaller). The main issue with other mobs is that they have an "attack wall" component to their AI that Depths Worms do not, so they will just break the gate frame and come on in anyways.

As for the controller... that's for you to find out. Luck to ya on that.

Thinking on it, there might be an update for Depths Worms to break walls after my discovery. xD

So, you just kinda stay in there until... what?

That picture was nothing more than a test design to see how the berry gate worked. The real design  would be to have gates that are further away in different directions so that you can have at least one that isn't blocked by worms. Also, it is unlikely that you will be surrounded by worms on all sides simultaneously. Even IF that happens, you now have a spot that the worms will be stuck at making kiting them child's play.

So the real answer to your question is this: I just came up with a gate idea, it's up to YOU to figure out how you want to use it.

I usually just lead them to a remote corner and then run like hell.  Or lead them into a spiders nest.  Or better yet a spiders nest in a swamp.  

The more I play this game the more I think that if you're fighting something yourself you're doing it wrong.

I usually just lead them to a remote corner and then run like hell. Or lead them into a spiders nest. Or better yet a spiders nest in a swamp.

The more I play this game the more I think that if you're fighting something yourself you're doing it wrong.

Wilson did say he would conquer at with his mind right? Better to fight smart than fight hard. Unless your Wolfgang. In which case, if you aren't fighting something your self, you're probably doing it wrong. Not to say he doesn't like help beating down enemies too, but does he NEED it? Probably not.

I never play as Wolfgang but can an experienced player give some insight? Is it feasible to stay mighty Wolfgang for a whole worm fight ( with multiple worms), or does their going underground just waste your hunger? Where's Teo when you need him, he's pretty much the authority on Wolfgang around here haha.

I usually just lead them to a remote corner and then run like hell.  Or lead them into a spiders nest.  Or better yet a spiders nest in a swamp.  

Really? And how do you get the Depth worms to go to the surface, go to the swamp, go back to the cave and stay gone long enough for this to work? 

Ortorin just spawned some on the surface to test defense methods that could work without having to worry about things like light or sanity while doing so. 

When you've been in the caves and actually seen the layout and seen the number of worms, then let me know how you specifically deal with them. 

Really? And how do you get the Depth worms to go to the surface, go to the swamp, go back to the cave and stay gone long enough for this to work? 

Ortorin just spawned some on the surface to test defense methods that could work without having to worry about things like light or sanity while doing so. 

When you've been in the caves and actually seen the layout and seen the number of worms, then let me know how you specifically deal with them. 

TOLDASAURUS REX!

Man that was some kind of beautiful.

I am curious how a Depth Worm would do against a Cave Spider nest now, though.

Spiders have a hard time getting through, but they slip by more frequently (since they are smaller). The main issue with other mobs is that they have an "attack wall" component to their AI that Depths Worms do not, so they will just break the gate frame and come on in anyways.

As for the controller... that's for you to find out. Luck to ya on that.

Thinking on it, there might be an update for Depths Worms to break walls after my discovery. xD

HA, i hope they dont give them an ability to attack walls, they're annoying enough already, and i just tought about the "doors" for hound attacks, but then i remembered those hell hounds lol

Um, huh?

I'm talking about swamps in the caves.  Spiders in the cave.  What does the surface have to do with this?

Every cave I've been in has swamps, usually full of spiders.  Am I missing something here?

Not at all, I'm betting most of this "game experts" haven't been in the caves since swamps were added there, thus forgeting their existence. Cave hate seems to be a common thing, so I can't say I'm surprised  :p

Not at all, I'm betting most of this "game experts" haven't been in the caves since swamps were added there, thus forgeting their existence. Cave hate seems to be a common thing, so I can't say I'm surprised  :razz:

I stand corrected. I am guilty of trying to get to the ruins level and not properly fully exploring the upper levels once I find a base clearing, the right area for spider farming, and a Bunny area...Let me have no problem here about admitting being wrong. 

I stand corrected. I am guilty of trying to get to the ruins level and not properly fully exploring the upper levels once I find a base clearing, the right area for spider farming, and a Bunny area...Let me have no problem here about admitting being wrong. 

You ARE the truthseeker after all xD

Archived