Mod Request: Screecher Camera

F3RR1S

So we can change black. But well, all this means is that we shouldn't edit them manually, of course. We should map colour palettes.

Here's the identity colour cube inverted:

mhIX6EX.png

Identity cc inverted when it's night I guess?

Anyways, since I can't convert the cc's myself right now (the screenshot in my earlier post was the inverted idcc converted with the asset tools) and it's getting late for me I'll vanish for now. Have a nice day sir  ^^

Identity cc inverted when it's night I guess?

Yes.

But anyway, I think changing the black through colour cubes is not the way to approach this, precisely because all blacks will be replaced. I think we should mix the darkness approach with the previous fog approach.

Don't be so rushed, for now this is just a proof of concept mod to test our ideas. At best I'd call it a first prototype.

Moving with the mouse can be done, of course, but for now I think it's best to focus on the actual camera and how the world looks, only then to deal with controls and other "polish".

I actually found the mouse-turning to be glitchy, and would have preferred to be able to turn with the q & e keys. I think it gives the user more freedom to click on things, too...

I guess there's no way to just tell it that darkness during the day should be grey, or you'd have done that. |D

I actually found the mouse-turning to be glitchy, and would have preferred to be able to turn with the q & e keys. I think it gives the user more freedom to click on things, too...

I guess there's no way to just tell it that darkness during the day should be grey, or you'd have done that. |D

I didn't quite like the mouse turning myself. Though being able to turn the camera smoothly would help in this viewing mode (but this can be done through the keyboard, of course, by adding new bindings for it).

I don't think there is a way to change day darkness (without replacing all blacks). For that we'd need some sort of directional colour cube.

• Developer

Looking at that colour cube thing actually reminds me of a Normal Map.

In a Normal Map, light behaviour is given sort of instructions based on the three axes - Red being X, Green being Y, and Blue being Z.

Perhaps it's something similar here - the colours representing values on the X, Y, and Z axes... for what, and how, I have no idea... and as for a method to interpret and alter it... I have no idea, either.

I think we need Cheerio or Ipsquiggle's help, here.

Question, though: Is the colour change caused by insanity also handled by a colour cube? Or is that done differently again?

Colour cubes are basically look up tables used on the final image of the game.  It's an easy way to apply things like Photoshop filters without actually having to put those in the game.  It's called a cube because it contains all the rgb colors unwrapped into a 2d image.  If you open up the identity colour cube, that will show you where each color is mapped.

The way it works in game is that after drawing the entire scene without the ui, we go through every pixel and then lookup into the colour cube to see what colour that pixel should map to.  If you apply the identity colour cube, nothing will happen because red will map to red and blue will map to blue etc.  

To author a new colour cube, we typically take a screenshot of the game with the identity colour cube applied and bring that into Photoshop.  We then apply a bunch of layers to that image until we're happy with the look of it.  We then apply those same layers to the identity colour cube and then save that as our new colour cube and now when you use that in game, the game should look like it has those same layers you applied in Photoshop.

For example, if you wanted to create a Sin City look where everything was desaturated except for red.  You'd take a screenshot of the game, desaturate the green and blue till you're happy with the look then reapply that to the identity cube.  

You don't actually have to take a screenshot of the game to make changes to the colour cube, it's just a really easy way to preview your work instead of having to restart your game to see the result.

Let me know if that helps.

** For the technically inclined, it's implementation is based off of this article. 

https://developer.nvidia.com/content/gpu-gems-2-chapter-24-using-lookup-tables-accelerate-color-transformations

@Cheerio

Coincidentally, you both confirmed our speculations on how it worked and reinforced our method of creating new colour cubes, based on the identity one. :razz:

But thank you, nevertheless. It's always good to have confirmation instead of speculating. And the article is very much appreciated. ;]

• Developer

@Cheerio

Coincidentally, you both confirmed our speculations on how it worked and reinforced our method of creating new colour cubes, based on the identity one. :razz:

But thank you, nevertheless. It's always good to have confirmation instead of speculating. And the article is very much appreciated. ;]

Glad to almost be of help :).

Glad to almost be of help :-).

You could even be of giant help  : P

Would it be possible to configure the asset tools in a way that it converts png's inside the colour_cubes folder using plain RGB so they will display correctly?

And out of curiosity... give this a try - I just filtered the black into white (no other change) - see if it at least kind of does what we're trying to do...

attachicon.gifblackaswhite_colourcube.png.zip

You can use simplex's converter yourself for this, it's the only one right now that works for cc's

@TheDanaAddams

Danas_test_colourcube:

NxsZqwK.png

blackaswhite_colourcube, day:

tZWi0Dd.png

blackaswhite_colourcube, night:

efw0eI3.png

Would it be possible to configure the asset tools in a way that it converts png's inside the colour_cubes folder using plain RGB so they will display correctly?

You can use TextureConverter.exe directly:

TextureConverter.exe -p opengl -f rgb -t 2d -i some_cc.png -o some_cc.tex
Note that, while the TEX format and the TextureConverter have a specific format flag for colourcubes ("-t cubemap"), the game's own colourcubes just use 2d, so that's what I've been using.

You can use simplex's converter yourself for this, it's the only one right now that works for cc's

Actually, she currently can't, because she doesn't have the XCode package (the official set of programs from Apple needed for compiling/developing programs). @TheDanaAddams, is there really no way for you to manage downloading it eventually?

• Developer

You could even be of giant help  : P

I'll take a look.

Actually, she currently can't, because she doesn't have the XCode package (the official set of programs from Apple needed for compiling/developing programs). @TheDanaAddams, is there really no way for you to manage downloading it eventually?

Actually, it MAY be possible to get it over the next couple days - my monitor completely died on me yesterday afternoon, so I have to go get my old one from my mum's place.

(It's actually working right now, somehow, but at the very least I don't trust it to last.)

Since I'll be heading back there, I should hopefully be able to use the internet and download it. But my mum just moved, and the internet might not be working right... and her computer is an old PPC Mac, running an older version of Mac OS than mine... so I'm hoping I can download the installation package while I'm there.

Fingers crossed.

Ironically, that test colourcube looks rather foggy, doesn't it! Hahaha!

Though it's more of a "fog everywhere" effect than the "fog in the distance" that we're trying to achieve...

The black as white one, though... that looks awful...

Could someone upload a screenshot using the vanilla "Identity" colour cube to use as the base for alteration?

Preferably something with red, green, and blue images in frame (to judge the colour shifts.)

A berry bush next to the sea should perhaps cover it, unless someone has a better idea.

Actually, it MAY be possible to get it over the next couple days - my monitor completely died on me yesterday afternoon, so I have to go get my old one from my mum's place.

(It's actually working right now, somehow, but at the very least I don't trust it to last.)

Since I'll be heading back there, I should hopefully be able to use the internet and download it. But my mum just moved, and the internet might not be working right... and her computer is an old PPC Mac, running an older version of Mac OS than mine... so I'm hoping I can download the installation package while I'm there.

Fingers crossed.

In principle, you just need an Apple ID, and could download it from any computer, even a Windows one.

https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

Could someone upload a screenshot using the vanilla "Identity" colour cube to use as the base for alteration?

Preferably something with red, green, and blue images in frame (to judge the colour shifts.)

A berry bush next to the sea should perhaps cover it, unless someone has a better idea.

The following screenshots were all taken in the identity colour cube, under different ambient lights.

Completely white light (0xffffff):

iCMSkq6IGZO9T.png

Day light:

iTJGWfYPFMDNn.png

Dusk light:

iDcVXiULFJMQ5.png

Well, I did that...

I got Xcode...

But...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-11-06 at 7.42.03 PM.png

attachicon.gifTIMON PUMBAA GROSS SOB.gif

So I have to wait until next time I go back, and make sure I get the older version that's compatible with my OS.

[sigh]

waaa...

:/

Well, that's ridiculous.

Try here.

https://developer.apple.com/downloads/

Try a version that works with your version of OSX.

Edit: Oh, wait, I was beat to it. :p

So, umm... did this die?

The core functionality is there, what's missing is some artsy gimmmick to circumvent having to make the long distance world dark. Dana's going through some serious stuff right now, so she's been unable to work on it.

Marvelous. I hope the artsy gimmick gets here before long. :3

EDIT: Okay, so with Simplex's current build of the Immersive Camera View, I got an error upon going into tuning.lua and changing the distance of the camera(Because the default distance looks horrible with RPG HUD Neat 45.

And by an error, I mean a crap ton of them.

...ommon/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua:324: attempt to index field 'owner' (a nil value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(324,1) in function 'OnControl'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(230,1) in function 'OnControl'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/input.lua(138,1) in function 'OnControl'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/input.lua(312,1)
scripts/frontend.lua(707,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen
...ommon/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua:76: attempt to index field 'controls' (a nil value)
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(76,1) in function 'OnLoseFocus'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(583,1) in function 'ClearScreens'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(679,1) in function 'ShowScreen'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(709,1) in function 'DisplayError'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(752,1)
...ommon/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua:324: attempt to index field 'owner' (a nil value)
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(324,1) in function 'OnControl'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(230,1) in function 'OnControl'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/input.lua(138,1) in function 'OnControl'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/input.lua(312,1)
...ommon/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua:76: attempt to index field 'controls' (a nil value)
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(76,1) in function 'OnLoseFocus'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(583,1) in function 'ClearScreens'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(679,1) in function 'ShowScreen'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(709,1) in function 'DisplayError'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(752,1)
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/widgets/widget.lua(411,1) in function 'ClearFocus'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/widgets/widget.lua(424,1) in function 'SetFocusFromChild'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/widgets/widget.lua(455,1) in function 'SetFocus'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(506,1) in function 'Update'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/frontend.lua(573,1) in function 'PushScreen'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(695,1)
Assert failure 'mPurgeList.empty()' at ..\source\simlib\EntityManager.cpp(87): Trace follows...

What now?

Marvelous. I hope the artsy gimmick gets here before long. :3

Ah, don't hold your breath just yet...

My heart condition has been getting worse and worse for months, and I expect it will take just as long to get it under control.

Getting used to doing things differently, to keep the condition in check, is not easy... =(

Ah, don't hold your breath just yet...

My heart condition has been getting worse and worse for months, and I expect it will take just as long to get it under control.

Getting used to doing things differently, to keep the condition in check, is not easy... =(

post-267484-0-70055200-1383778556.gif

I hope this cheers you up a little. =)

Archived