Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

OCDSkeptic

Don't Starve won't start up on Ubuntu 13.10 [Crash]

Gionder    0

My "Steam" folder is not under the path provided. The only Steam folder i got in my system (after a search using Dolphin *steam*) is the one in my personal folders and only contains logs. Nothing else.

Follow a print screen of my userloca>share folder.

3505ceg.jpg

Wade    309

Are you running the Steam version of the game or the Standalone?

Tzesku    0

The problem seems to be with the function snd_device_name_hint when querying for all cards (card=-1).

This seems to be a known problem: https://bug745259.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=616751

A possible workaround is to apply this patch to libasound2:

--- src/control/namehint.c    2013-12-04 17:49:08.957411500 +0000+++ src/control/namehint.c    2013-12-04 17:50:09.973411621 +0000@@ -552,6 +552,12 @@ int snd_device_name_hint(int card, const     snd_config_iterator_t i, next;     int err;+    // XXX circumvent bug with card = -1+    if (card == -1) {+        fprintf(stderr, "Dropping snd_device_name_hint because card == -1\n");+        return -EINVAL;+    }+     if (hints == NULL)         return -EINVAL;     err = snd_config_update_r(&local_config, &local_config_update, NULL);

As the libasound is locally installed for steam you can use the attached precompiled library.

Unpack the zip file and overwrite ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2.0.0 and the game should start just fine (it does for me at least).

THANK YOU ... this FIX solved my Don't Starve log in problem ... I knew the problem was with Steam for linux ... sadly it still has a few bugs in it , AND my problem started after the last Steam update SADLY !.