So we now have some idea of what happened to Charlie...

I'm going to be honest.

That one quote has radically altered how I view Maxwell. Dang, what did you do, Maxwell? What did you do to end up like this? Well, I can't wait for the trailer. Maybe it won't even be a normal trailer... it might even something extra special for an update called "All's Well that Maxwell."

It's funny because the game's sprite doesn't make him look very sorry. 

My hope is that we'll hopefully get another trailer like the Forbidden Knowledge one for Maxwell and Charlie. (I can dream, can't I?)

Klei Entertainment should sell a movie Don't Starve, a story about Maxwell and Charlie and maybe all the characters, we have followed and figured out every puzzles, the movie could be sold as the soundtracks, a promotion "DLC + movie", I would pay for a movie of Don't Starve in HD 1080p  :D

Poor bastard.  I really don't blame him for what he did now, since he was probably driven insane by grief for destroying Charlie.  

On topic, I don't think there's any way to find out if the book Charlie is holding is really the Codex.  As it seems to be a poster, rather than an actual picture of them, it's probably just an artist's depiction, and would not be wholly accurate to what they were really holding.

Perhaps Charlie did actually have a copy of the book, and somehow managed to create more than 5 copies of herself.  Maybe she ended up creating so many that they cover the land in darkness wherever they go, and her mind became so fragmented that she actually has a negative sanity, causing anyone that's even near her to lose theirs.

Wow, i'd never pegged Klei to be such deep character designers, up till now maxwell seemed like a 2 dimentional excuse of a villain with a mysterious past, now, with that one line, in the context of that book, they have made him a whole different person, i can't explain it, they have changed something about him, made him feel like a real person, haven't felt like this about a character in a long time.

The Grand Finale is going to be something great, i just know it, they are game designers, they couldn't really help having the final game update be lacking in much, i think the last piece of the puzzle is going to be something amazing, simple and short, but simply amazing to give us the "This is the end" feeling that every good story needs.

It's funny because the game's sprite doesn't make him look very sorry. 

his face is stuck in place, he hasn't had a properly emotional face in a while most likely.

So here are my theories:

1.Charlie was turned into a book for....reasons unknown

2. He casted a spell on Charlie so she wouldn't appear until night, but the spell backfired, turning her into.....something.....but having the spell still work, she can get her revenge at night.

3. He transformed Charlie into....the totally normal tree.

So here are my theories:

2. He casted a spell on Charlie so she wouldn't appear until night, but the spell backfired, turning her into.....something.....but having the spell still work, she can get her revenge at night.

The fact is that Chalie's problem is not the light... it's the sight of the character : when in werebeaver at night, even if there's no light, she can't attack you.

So here are my theories:

I like your theories but I think I got some that make a bit more sense.

1.) Maxwell was teaching Charlie how to "fragment" her mind but Charlie didn't know how to so Maxwell showed her and it backfired during one of the finales causing it to open a hole and Maxwell hasn't gotten over it since.

2.) (somewhat applies to the beginning of the 1st theory) Charlie was fragmenting her mind so hard that she fragmented her form and was swallowed by a shadow monster (or a shadow watcher).

3.) Charlie was stolen by one of the shadow watchers (or multiple shadow watchers) and was taken to their world to become "one of them" or a ruler of darkness of some sort.

4.)(follows theory 3) Maxwell saw Charlie get taken away and followed her to where she was held captive but by the time he found where the ritual took shape he could only stand back and watch causing a state of depression then after months Charlie took Maxwell and gave him more power and that soon corrupted his' mind causing Charlie or some of the shadow monsters to turn on him and keep him in a chair also holding Charlie in the Don't Starve worlds and being forced to treat our characters like puppets and if he didn't comply to those rules then they would or execute Charlie and Maxwell.

About Charlie attacking Maxwell in Darkness it's because she's forced to or else the same thing would happen as I stated as above.

Archived