Oct 22nd Public Preview (Updated Oct 21 2013)

Bryce

• Developer

As stated previously, this updated is largely comprised of bug fixes and tweaks. Additional bugs will be fixed as the week progresses.

Instructions for changing branches:

• Right click Don't Starve in your steam library and select properties
  • Go to the betas tab.
  • Select publicpreview from the drop down menu. There is no password.
    • ​If you do not see that branch it means we are not currently running a test.
    • To change back, simply select "NONE" from the same drop down menu. This will happen automatically when we close the testing branch.
  • ​The preview should download. Restart steam if it doesn't.

(Note that you will not have access to your saved files in the testing branch. Your files will be waiting for you when you change back to the normal branch.)

Changelist 88109:

Bugfixes/ Tweaks:

• Added some additional music to the ruins.
  • Maxwell Shadow Changes:
    • Cost 55 sanity and 2 fuel each, up from 40 sanity and 1 fuel.
    • Last 2.5 days, up from 2 days.
    • Smoothed out tool usage.
  • Trimmed a panel in the mods screen to make buttons easier to click.
  • Fixed a bug that was preventing pathfinding from working with walls.
  • Cleaned up some TaskInTime calls to prevent memory growth.
  • Made Cave Gen a bit more consistent in an effort to remove MaxWorldGen crashes.

Changelist 88013:

Bugfixes/ Tweaks:

• Made some improvements to the text widget
  • Shadow entities no longer appear as chunky messes in the Mac and Linux versions.
  • The book reading FX is now canceled if the action is.
  • The HUD will now hide during the tent's fade out.
  • Wickerbottom's books have descriptions.
  • Tooth Trap and Bee Mines are now "deployable" objects. They can no longer be packed too closely by dropping them.
  • Chess monsters will now retaliate when being attacked by other chess monsters that are following the player.

Changelist 87916:

Bugfixes/ Tweaks:

• MacTusk's icehounds will no longer respawn instantly under the right conditions.
  • Shift clicking now works properly between backpacks and player inventory.
  • Fixed some issues with the Forager Amulet duplicating traps.
  • Improved sound feedback on miner hat.
  • Removed double-click sound when clicking build recipe.
  • Fixed beesplosion when trying to stuff bees into a full container.
  • Improved console screen focus.
  • Boomerang now works against the Tentapillar.
  • Improved controller controls and prompts for teleportato.
  • Further tweaks to the front end and mods screen. - Note: Top Mods will never finish "Loading". It's not actually talking to the server right now.
  • Player character will not emit frost breath when facing upwards.
  • Fix for issues with using keyboard controlled crafting and mouse walking.

Changelist 87823:

Bug Fixes:

• Action button will now harvest farms, crockpots and drying racks.
  • You can no longer click-spam pigs to force feed them and gain extra poop.
  • Fix for bee/mosquito sounds so they don't accumulate at the world origin.
  • Fixed a crash that happened when mining.
  • Fixed items disappearing if you tap pickup very quickly.
  • "Useable" items like the Telelocator Staff and Bush Hat can now be used when playing with a controller.
  • Fixed the "Top Mods" box displaying wrong on different resolutions.
  • The confirmation window will now close if you press "no" when entering Maxwell's door.
  • Fixed a crash that happened during the loading of some adventure levels.
  • Adventure World (two worlds) will no longer crash on generation.
  • Added some object strings.
  • Fixed a bug where you could get stuck in a state by pressing the map button while trying to sleep.
  • Tuned locomotor to prevent jittering at higher player speeds.

Changelist 87708:

Additions:

Characters:

• Maxwell has his player power.

Creatures:

• Mosquito drops loot.

Items:

• The "Totally Normal Tree" now spawns in the world.

Screens:

• A "Top Mods" section has been added to the mods screen. It doesn't function yet, but it will show the top 5 most popular mods of the day.

Tweaks/ Changes:

Creatures:

• Depths Worms attacks now ramp up over an increased time period.
  • Spitter Spiders had their range and projectile speed decreased.

Items:

• The Miner Hat can be refueled.

General:

• Rearranged some of the front end.
  • Added FX to mining animation.
  • Added FX to book reading animation.

• Improved feedback when taking damage over time.

Bug Fixes:

Creatures:

• Befriending music will now play for bunnymen and chess creatures.

• Batalisks have been given a strong stomach.

• The Ancient Guardian will drop his horn again.

• Shadow Hands will appear again.

• The Pig King will no longer throw gold on top of himself and surrounding obelisks.

• Chester no longer uses the old death effect.

Items:

• The Lazy Forager's amulet will now also pick up any animals that are caught in a trap when the trap is collected.

• Pumpkin lanterns no longer bounce when placed.

• Snurtle Shell Armour will provide protection again.

• Picking a mushroom as day phase changes will no longer cause the mushroom to regrow immediately. 

• Breaking down a Cook Pot with a completed food item will cause the item to drop in the rubble.

• Tents and Sleeping Rolls now properly restore body heat.

• The Glow Berry is now tradeable.

• Tree Stumps can now be burnt.

• Creatures can no longer walk through walls that have been destroyed and rebuilt.

• Fixed some issues with save/load states on Light Plants.

• Heat Rocks now emit light if they are heated up outside your inventory.

• Items do not rot on death in caves.

• Walls no longer sleep - this should help with some caged animals escaping their pens.

General:

• Light effects on nightmare lights can now be clicked through.

• Rearranged some items in setpieces to allow for proper pathfinding.

• Players will now react to being hit by bees and mosquitoes.

• Music will play during credits on the standalone version.

• Fixed some issues with resurrecting. 

• Water is no longer culled while still on screen.

• Fixed some issues with the player appearing at the wrong location when changing cave levels.

• Actions are now canceled when you change your tool mid-action.

• Maxwell's Shadow no longer lingers in the world during the intro.

• Shadows now rotate correctly.

Controls:

• You can now add placeable items to a fire while using a controller.

• You can now press and hold to hammer.

• You can now navigate the controls screen with a controller.

Characters:

• Lucy the Axe will no longer continue to talk after finishing adventure mode with Woodie.

• Fixed some layering issues on the final level of adventure mode.

• Camera doesn't shake when doing work as Woodie.

• Woodie the Werebeaver now uses seperate attack and action buttons.

Modding

Mod System:

• Mods which overwrite core game assets have usually crashed the game unless the game is restarted once. Now a mod can specify this to force the game to restart when the mod is loaded. Example coming soon.

• Mods can now specify an arbitrary save slot instead of using slots 1-4. This is useful for 'game mode' mods which don't sit nicely on top of an existing Don't Starve save. Example coming soon.

Assets:

• Road textures can now be overwritten by a mod.

World Gen:

• Can now specify the range of background nodes to generate for each node in the level definition.Example coming soon.

• Tasks with blockers can now specify what their "blank" nodes are in case you don't want it to be ocean.Example coming soon.

• Tasks have a little more control over internal connectedness by specifying a custom crosslink factor for rooms, and whether or not the rooms are generated in a loop. Example coming soon.

Development:

• AddGameDebugKey and AddGlobalDebugKey are now global functions, so mods can utilise them for testing. Example coming soon.

• Better logging when animations and builds are missing.

• Sublime Text, a great script editor, is now packaged with the mod tools in Steam! Use this when working with Lua files for syntax highlighting, multi-file search, and other handy editing tricks.

• Like 9

This is a really cool preview Maxwell-wise. Fun times and hijinks with super-sanity-sensitive Maxie and his magic minions are soon to ensue.

EDIT: I'll compile my discoveries from the 'Wishes for the Last Update" thread here, I guess.

- Maxwell spawns with the "Codex Umbra" presumably the book from the update puzzles, as well as his previous items and buffs. Examining yields 'It's a... Thing."

- Reading the Codex summons a shadow minion friend at the cost of a nightmare fuel and a sanity loss cap of 40.

- Four minions can be summoned at a time; attempting to summon more is an instant death.

- Minions can attack rabbits (Beardlings all the time with four of them summoned) and birds without them running away.

- Minions do not kite.

Other than that, death by reading the codex too much is listed as 'Unknown' and when dusk falls maxwell now says "It's getting dark, Charlie will be waking up soon" or something to that effect.

Edited by Delta/V

Something people will go crazy about is the Lazy Forager grabbing nearby rabbits and birds (and maybe spiders?) and the Miner Helmet being refuelable. Oh and yeah, Maxwell of course :p

No personal effigies though :(

Will check the list on my thread tomorrow and check some of the stuff that hasn't been changed yet...

• Developer

Something people will go crazy about is the Lazy Forager grabbing nearby rabbits and birds (and maybe spiders?) and the Miner Helmet being refuelable. Oh and yeah, Maxwell of course :razz:

No personal effigies though :(

Will check the list on my thread tomorrow and check some of the stuff that hasn't been changed yet...

Oh, I guess that's worded poorly. The amulet will harvest animals that are caught in a trap when the amulet picks up the trap. Previously the animal would just be destroyed.

Oh, I guess that's worded poorly. The amulet will harvest animals that are caught in a trap when the amulet picks up the trap. Previously the animal would just be destroyed.

Well you guys should consider implementing my interpretation then :p

Further sanity-minion testing has ensued. They seem reasonably strong, able to dispatch a killer bee hive but not a spider queen. As I've stated above, they don't kite, sadly.

EDIT: Yeah, Maxwell seems to have a lot more Charlie-related quotes now. When examining a campfire he says "Yeah, that'll keep Charlie at bay."

Edited by Delta/V

On a side note, attempting to mine with Maxwell while sanity creatures are out makes me crash. I've yet to test without sanity creatures and with other players. Also, summoning drains health, too. 

Edited by Delta/V

Bug Fixes:

Creatures:

• The Pig King will no longer throw gold on top of himself and surrounding obelisks.

I thought this had been fixed with the last update, I hadn't experienced the problem since Six Feet Under went live. Nonetheless I'm excited to see this problem is finally, definitely gone! Floating bits of gold would bother me more than any other bugs in the game.

Edited by 23rd

• Developer

On a side note, attempting to mine with Maxwell while sanity creatures are out makes me crash. I've yet to test without sanity creatures and with other players. Also, summoning drains health, too. 

Looking at the code, it'll probably crash no matter what. Will be fixed tomorrow.

I tried to attack a rabbit which disappeared into its rabbit hole and now the shadow clone is just standing there staring off into space? 

EDIT: He came back after I walked about two or three screens away. Not sure what that was about. 

Edited by The Letter W

I've been having fun partaking in some exceptionally evil pastimes; commanding my minions to kill any butterflies and birds nearby for the sweet, sweet health and hunger. Good times all around.

EDIT: Found the folks under shadowwaxwell.lua, I think. I've found some interesting stuff in tuning, too:

- Shadow maxwells last for two days only before dying. 

- They do 40 damage per hit with an attack period of 2.

- They have a life of 75.

- They cost 40 sanity and 15 heath to summon, as we knew already.

Basically, the main important thing here is that they only last for two days before you have to summon a new one, meaning you should conserve that nightmare fuel a bit more at the start.

EDIT 2: In other news, mosquitos now drop a "mosquito sack", which is a healing item.

EDIT 3: I've still yet to see any shadow hands.

Edited by Delta/V
  • Like 1

• Developer

So is there any word on Meat Effigies @Bryce?

Having character specific art for the meat effigy is not planned. I would like to see it happen but, unfortunately, it requires a large amount of artist time. Making this change would mean several other changes wouldn't have made the cut, so we decided to leave the effigies as they are.

Can confirm it crashes without Shadowells out. Do you guys require the crash screen at all?

I believe I've fixed the issue already but posting your log would be helpful even if only to confirm that you're experiencing the same crash. It will be gone when we update tomorrow.

Put under a Spoiler to avoid stretching. :)

tumblr_muqkcr8zWh1r4q7yco1_1280.jpg

LOADING LUA SUCCESS
scripts/playerdeaths.lua(74,1) PlayerDeaths could not load morgue_staging
scripts/playerprofile.lua(298,1) loaded profile_staging
scripts/playerprofile.lua(356,1) bloom_enabled true
scripts/saveindex.lua(75,1) loaded saveindex_staging
scripts/gamelogic.lua(1051,1) OnFilesLoaded()
scripts/gamelogic.lua(1040,1) OnUpdatePurchaseStateComplete
scripts/gamelogic.lua(86,1) Unload FE
scripts/gamelogic.lua(88,1) Unload FE done
scripts/gamelogic.lua(90,1) LOAD BE
scripts/gamelogic.lua(93,1) LOAD BE: done
MiniMapComponent::SetAtlasInfo( minimap/minimap_data.xml )
scripts/gamelogic.lua(408,1) Loading Nav Grid
scripts/saveindex.lua(251,1) ClearCurrentResurrectors CB
scripts/saveindex.lua(275,1) DeregisterResurrector
scripts/saveindex.lua(291,1) DeregisterResurrector
scripts/saveindex.lua(275,1) DeregisterResurrector
scripts/saveindex.lua(291,1) DeregisterResurrector
scripts/modindex.lua(67,1) ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.

HttpClientWriteCallback (0x008DC613, 1, 16, 0x0674FB7C)
HttpClientWriteCallback READ 16 (16 total)
Reset() returning
QueryServerComplete for handle [4] ok, HTTP 200: [{"result":"OK"}
]
QueryServerComplete no callback
FMOD Error: Can't find named sound ragtime
...on/dont_starve/data/scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua:788: calling 'SetPosition' on bad self (number expected, got table)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        =[C] in function 'SetPosition'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua(788,1) in function 'fn'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(474,1) in function 'UpdateState'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(513,1) in function 'Update'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(109,1) in function 'Update'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/update.lua(120,1)
scripts/frontend.lua(479,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen

Alright. I love that they named the book the Codex Umbra. 

And before I start with blowing this fact stupidly out of proportion, I want to make it very clear that I know that Umbra is just shadow in Latin. They named it the shadow book in Latin, and that is probably all there is to it. 

But I'm kind of geeking out about their choice of words. I mean, it could have been named anything: it could have been a variant of the Necronomicon, or just been called mysterious book or Maxwell's book or something. But the modern definition of the word umbra is interestingly specific: it doesn't just mean shadow. Umbra, along with penumbra and antumbra, are words most frequently used to describe the parts of shadows cast by celestial bodies. Specifically, the umbra is the "innermost and darkest part" of the shadow of such an object. 

And though I know this line of thinking is complete and utter bullcrap, it still gives me a ticket for the speculation and blatant over-interpretation express. Because if the word choice here is intentional, (and let's pretend that I'm not stark raving bonkers, and it is)  it has such beautifully Lovecraftian implications about what they actually are. It means that what Wilson and Maxwell and the other survivors have seen and feared and fought against are not even close to the actual entities behind the scenes.

We've called them shadow creatures, under the assumption that they were monsters made of shadow, somehow composed of the nightmare fuel left behind on their apparent "destruction". But that repulsive essence isn't what they're really made of, it's what their shadows are made of. And if just the shadow, just the suggestion of the identity of a thing is something that terrifying, that capable of harm, and made of such powerful, abhorrent stuff, you have to ask yourself...what must the real thing be like? 

If the repugnant entities Wilson and the others see are only insubstantial projections, the slightest hints of the leviathan scale of the creatures and forces at play...and if the survivors have to let the dregs of their sanity slip through their fingers just to see the dark outline, the umbra of malignant things celestial in proportion and power...

William should have burned that book when he still had the chance. 

Edit: 

Reposted because...honestly, I was gonna hide this because I didn't think it was the place for my rambling. And of course, the moment after I deleted the original in shame,

I noticed this

post-207797-0-31974100-1381885699_thumb.

Now if you'll excuse me, ladies and gents, I'm off to shake my fist at the sky and shout "What have I done" at the top of my lungs. 

Edited by Sarcosuchus
  • Like 13

I decided to try Adventure Mode for the Hell of it and upon picking up a Thing there was a crash. 

tumblr_muqndu3vel1r4q7yco1_1280.jpg

scripts/modindex.lua(251,1) loaded modindex_staging
scripts/modindex.lua(57,1) ModIndex: Beginning normal load sequence.

LOADING LUA SUCCESS
scripts/playerdeaths.lua(74,1) PlayerDeaths could not load morgue_staging
scripts/playerprofile.lua(298,1) loaded profile_staging
scripts/playerprofile.lua(356,1) bloom_enabled true
scripts/saveindex.lua(75,1) loaded saveindex_staging
scripts/gamelogic.lua(1051,1) OnFilesLoaded()
scripts/gamelogic.lua(1040,1) OnUpdatePurchaseStateComplete
scripts/gamelogic.lua(86,1) Unload FE
scripts/gamelogic.lua(88,1) Unload FE done
scripts/gamelogic.lua(90,1) LOAD BE
scripts/gamelogic.lua(93,1) LOAD BE: done
MiniMapComponent::SetAtlasInfo( minimap/minimap_data.xml )
scripts/gamelogic.lua(408,1) Loading Nav Grid
scripts/saveindex.lua(251,1) ClearCurrentResurrectors CB
scripts/modindex.lua(67,1) ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.

Reset() returning
HttpClientWriteCallback (0x008BC613, 1, 16, 0x0687FCA4)
QueryServerComplete for handle [1] ok, HTTP 200: [{"result":"OK"}
]
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105670 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105675 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105678 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105687 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105689 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105690 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105694 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105695 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105698 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105700 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105703 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105705 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105707 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105709 - dr_warmer_loop
QueryServerComplete for handle [2] ok, HTTP 200: [{"result":"OK"}
]
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105715 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105717 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105718 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105723 - dr_warmer_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105724 - dr_hot_loop
QueryServerComplete for handle [3] ok, HTTP 200: [{"result":"OK"}
]
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105727 - dr_hot_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105728 - dr_hot_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105729 - dr_hot_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105731 - dr_hot_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105732 - dr_hot_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105733 - dr_hot_loop
QueryServerComplete for handle [4] ok, HTTP 200: [{"result":"OK"}
]
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105739 - dr_hot_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105744 - dr_hot_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105745 - dr_hot_loop
scripts/prefabs/diviningrod.lua(84,1) 105752 - dr_warm_loop_1
Stale Component Reference: GUID 100482, @C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:704
...m/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:255: attempt to index local 'v1' (a number value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua(255,1)
        =(tail call) ?
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/prefabs/merm.lua(55,1) in function 'keeptargetfn'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/components/combat.lua(179,1) in function 'OnUpdate'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/update.lua(103,1)
scripts/frontend.lua(479,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen

I've been having fun partaking in some exceptionally evil pastimes; commanding my minions to kill any butterflies and birds nearby for the sweet, sweet health and hunger. Good times all around.

EDIT: Found the folks under shadowwaxwell.lua, I think. I've found some interesting stuff in tuning, too:

Basically, the main important thing here is that they only last for two days before you have to summon a new one, meaning you should conserve that nightmare fuel a bit more at the start.

EDIT 2: In other news, mosquitos now drop a "mosquito sack", which is a healing item.

actually it doesn't kill you if you try to summon a 5th shadow right away, it's just that summoning them all at once will kill you due to maxwell's low health.

you've got to heal before you summon the fifth

same here! I don't see any shadow-hands 

Edited by LoayzaPaul