explanations of the good the bad and the ugly of the Don't Starve world [Field note styled]

Beefalo

these creatures are a nice and familiar face, if you'll pardon the phrase since they are around back home too...

although they have become more wild and their behaviour is very different to that of their domesticated breed;

They become exceedingly aggressive during mating seasons attacking anything that gets too close, even creatures that could kill them all! It seems to be a very negative trait for them as it gets them into all sorts of problem. At some points they can even become close to extinction because of this, luckily for them they reproduce fairly quickly.

These are also a farmers best friend, dropping manure every now and then which can be collected as fertiliser or used for the fabrication of controlled farm plots;

even for those that aren't budding agriculturists their manure can be used as fuel and they can be shaved for their wool, just make sure they are sleeping first... but I digress.

their wool is infinitely useful, its great for clothing a decent and renewable fuel source and you can even make some nice carpets out of it, having carpets remind me of home which is nice.

you can also acquire their horn, this is where stuff gets weird.

if you blow the horn the Beefalo seem to follow you, its really odd as it seems hearing this sound brainwashes them for a short time. They follow you and care relatively little about all else until they are attacked or the effect wears off.

This means they can be easily herded into pens.

Hunting;

if you are feeling lucky you can hit one and fight it, they hit quite hard but they can be dodged fairly easily just make sure you only fight one at a time.

Herds;

they normally appear in large herds making hunting harder but wool collection much easier just make sure the wool doesn't go on fire... the Beefalo don't like being on fire obviously! these herds can be an invaluable asset if used correctly providing you with fuel fertiliser and even food.

In conclusion;

these woolen bovines play a vital role in survival, which is shown very clearly by their amount of uses.

their adaptations from the normal world are also quite interesting, the aggression in particular is still very peculiar

• Like 2

I'm hoping to get another one ready in the next two days (very busy especially tomorrow), for now have a list of those studied

List of DS animals with field notes written;

- Bees
- Spiders
- Tallbird
- Crow
- Slurper
- Merms
- pigmen
- Werepig
- pigking
- Beefalo

"Gobbler"

these 6ft-ish turkeys (almost as big as I am!) are probably one of the more infuriating fauna in this world, while it poses no physical threat it brings an incredibly high resource threat.

Their appetite is insatiable, I've seen a few of these clear a berry field in a matter of seconds.

These birds are flightless and timid, meaning you will either have to use a ranged weapon or chase it for a long time.

The birds also exhibit a fear of the dark, as they will hide in a berry bush as soon as dusk arrives.

I have reason to believe their appetite is controlled by a shade of red, since they will eat most natural red foods, this allowed me to poison a few with red mushrooms, quite odd to see them eat themselves to death (the toxic effect causes instant pain this is why its so surprising)

not many other creatures in this world interact with these birds... I'm the only thing here capable of picking berry bushes, which is what causes them to awaken. It's gotten to a point where I'm not even sure if these creatures were a natural occurrence...

It feels as though they were put here to torment any life that showed up unnaturally.

Gobbler drumsticks are also quite tasty too, reminds me of a good ol' turkey dinner...

In conclusion;

annoying little blighters, but very easy to fool. They resemble a turkey and taste like one too! haha!

• Like 4

Craig_Perry and Unsound Mind,

I'm currently working on a sort of gameplay set to fanfiction sort of video in the style of Wilson's journal entries and I was wondering if it would be ok to incorporate your art and writing into the series (with appropriate kudos and credit in the info section).  If you want to check it out it's in the video section of the forum under:

Chronicles of a Wilson

I didn't want to post a direct link because I'm not here to plug my own stuff.  If the two of you happen to take a look and feel that the two projects complement each other then just let me know.  I'd love nothing more than to show case your art and insight.  In the mean time looking forward to more of your collaborative works!

I'm currently working on a sort of gameplay set to fanfiction sort of video in the style of Wilson's journal entries and I was wondering if it would be ok to incorporate your art and writing into the series (with appropriate kudos and credit in the info section).  If you want to check it out it's in the video section of the forum under:

Chronicles of a Wilson

I didn't want to post a direct link because I'm not here to plug my own stuff.  If the two of you happen to take a look and feel that the two projects complement each other then just let me know.  I'd love nothing more than to show case your art and insight.  In the mean time looking forward to more of your collaborative works!

I'm fine with it since you will be crediting us, I'll let @Unsound Mind make the final call

Chronicles of a Wilson

I agree with Craig_Perry. If you're crediting us, then that's just fine with me. Thanks a bunch for thinking of us!

I'm fine with it since you will be crediting us, I'll let @Unsound Mind make the final call

I agree with Craig_Perry. If you're crediting us, then that's just fine with me. Thanks a bunch for thinking of us!

Thanks, it should be pretty exciting to see how I can incorporate them into the videos.  If either of you have a website or anything that you'd like to be link in the info section just let me know!

Pengulls

a strange mix of penguin and gull which adopts the lifestyle of a specific species of penguin but the belligerence of any gull.

it migrates to the islands for winter to breed and lay their eggs, though oddly  none ever seem to hatch.

these pengulls are impeccably dangerous too, packing a peck as tough as the bite of a hound.

it has a few limitations for its survival though, since it doesn't eat for the whole of winter you occasionally but rarely see whole groups starve to death.

the groups also confine themselves to a small patch of ground meaning any environmental threat cannot be avoided and often causes the whole group to be killed.

these creatures are very hardy especially in relation to the cold, they live on small icy patches and don't even huddle for warmth in the middle of winter

They also are defensive of their eggs, diving to protect and hide them if you get to close.

along with this they become very aggressive when they are near starvation, combining this with their mob mentality and speedy tobogganing makes them a deadly force indeed.

In conclusion:

tough little blighters but are not very well suited for survival or symbiosis on this island making their migratory behaviour a must for their survival

• Like 6