[WIP Collab] Charlie Character Mod

Seyph

Here's what I got for Charlie so far.

post-262695-0-78430100-1382487758_thumb.

What is Charlie's hair even? Augh. I made it into a hair bow.

Not too happy with her face and head, but thought I'd post it anyway. Can't quite place how to fix it up.

I also raged-quit trying to make Charlie's dress as 2 pieces (base clothes + skirt), because the details wouldn't line up properly and the skirt would flip over and ruin the effect in some animations, so I just made it a 1-piece. >:c

attachicon.gifcharlie.png

Not too happy with her face and head, but thought I'd post it anyway. Can't quite place how to fix it up.

I also raged-quit trying to make Charlie's dress as 2 pieces (base clothes + skirt), because the details wouldn't line up properly and the skirt would flip over and ruin the effect in some animations, so I just made it a 1-piece. >:c

If we are willing to wait it looks like they are about to give us more tools to animate such that I with a bit of work could custom animate her. Its up to you but I think if your willing to to the art work for the pieces I can do that animation in a few weeks when its released.

I think she looks great except shes a bit too goth looking, which will be great for dark charlie but for normal charlie I think you might try seeing if changing the lips to a light color rather than black might help? Also the eyes seem like they could be a tad closer together like a millimeter is all.

attachicon.gifcharlie.png

Why the smile?

Why the smile?

Mostly to give me a feel for Charlie, since pretty much my only references are of her with a big cheesy, innocent, and forced grin. Though, I guess I could make her look more like a doe caught in headlights.

post-262695-0-70920400-1382517278.png

Made a few minor adjustments to her head. It's amazing what a moving a few pixels here and there can do to the overall appearance of a piece of art.

Mostly to give me a feel for Charlie, since pretty much my only references are of her with a big cheesy, innocent, and forced grin. Though, I guess I could make her look more like a doe caught in headlights.

attachicon.gifcharlie2.png

Made a few minor adjustments to her head. It's amazing what a moving a few pixels here and there can do to the overall appearance of a piece of art.

Looks a lot better :) Now if only Klei didn't give her pupils!!!

I'll get to testing it out

Just rememeber the artwork is just patchwork so its buggy or bad in most places.

What should be working is the following. Note that the meter works in reverse for what it should ATM as you start at 100 and lose gruesomeness when it should be the opposite. I'll fix that when we get a custom widget animation.

• Gruesome meter widget
  • Gruesomeness is reduced or gained depending on the light, this should be a minor gain at max at 1 per second and a much faster loss at max at 5 per second.
  • Wearing a garland increases the effective light level very slightly.
  • Non meat food give a slight increase to gruesomeness proportional to the hunger satiated.
  • Meat food does the opposite.
  • Attacking anything while normal charlie decreases a proportional amount of gruesomeness up to 25. (this and the next need to be tuned)
  • Attacking anything while gruesome charlie increases a proportional amount of gruesomeness up to 25.
  • Planting flowers gains some gruesomeness.
  • From 100 to 75 the animation should be normal charlie (wendy for now).
  • From 75 to 25 the animation should be dark charlie (willow for now).
  • From 25 to 0 the animation should be gruesome charlie (wickerbottom for now).
  • The Grue should never attack charlie.
  • If you go in the console at 0 gruesomeness a function is triggered that prints out your dead this will later hook to a function that will end the game while transforming charlie into the grue.

Just rememeber the artwork is just patchwork so its buggy or bad in most places.

What should be working is the following. Not that the meter works in reverse for what it should ATM as you start at 100 and lose gruesomeness when it should be the opposite. I'll fix that when we get a custom widget animation.

• Gruesome meter widget
  • Gruesomeness is reduced or gained depending on the light, this should be a minor gain at max at 1 per second and a much faster loss at max at 5 per second.
  • Wearing a garland increases the effective light level very slightly.
  • Non meat food give a slight increase to gruesomeness proportional to the hunger satiated.
  • Meat food does the opposite.
  • Attacking anything while normal charlie decreases a proportional amount of gruesomeness up to 25. (this and the next need to be tuned)
  • Attacking anything while gruesome charlie increases a proportional amount of gruesomeness up to 25.
  • Planting flowers gains some gruesomeness.
  • From 100 to 75 the animation should be normal charlie (wendy for now).
  • From 75 to 25 the animation should be dark charlie (willow for now).
  • From 25 to 0 the animation should be gruesome charlie (wickerbottom for now).
  • The Grue should never attack charlie.
  • If you go in the console at 0 gruesomeness a function is triggered that prints out your dead this will later hook to a function that will end the game while transforming charlie into the grue.

great to know, I'll get testing this list out

@Nycidian

all the features you proposed in that list are working well

as you said the attack thing needs tuning (killing birds is a +/- 25 haha) may I suggest that it is handled similarly to naughtiness?

e.g certain enemies have certain values, etc

I would rather just lower the amount such that hitting once didn't change you the idea behind the character is to have the attack/defend primarily through followers its not in yet but eventually she will be able to befriend rabbits while in normal mode and these rabbits will in friendly mode help with gardening and have a + sanity aura as she gets closer to becoming the grue they will change eventually becoming shadow monsters that will do massive damage and no longer tend the farms.

The basic idea is that being at either extreme is not easy to maintain but both are powerful in their own way. One of the ways to make it hard is make it so she has to find others to defend her or she transform into dark charlie which is more a of a middle ground where the rabbits don't tend the farms or do so very poorly and are not very combat capable. Its very easy of course to become gruesome charlie the problem there is that if you go too dark you loose.

I would rather just lower the amount such that hitting once didn't change you the idea behind the character is to have the attack/defend primarily through followers its not in yet but eventually she will be able to befriend rabbits while in normal mode and these rabbits will in friendly mode help with gardening and have a + sanity aura as she gets closer to becoming the grue they will change eventually becoming shadow monsters that will do massive damage and no longer tend the farms.

The basic idea is that being at either extreme is not easy to maintain but both are powerful in their own way. One of the ways to make it hard is make it so she has to find others to defend her or she transform into dark charlie which is more a of a middle ground where the rabbits don't tend the farms or do so very poorly and are not very combat capable. Its very easy of course to become gruesome charlie the problem there is that if you go too dark you loose.

ah I see, wasn't aware of that side of the character. More complex than I first thought, good luck

ah I see, wasn't aware of that side of the character. More complex than I first thought, good luck

Its kind of developed as me and XainFaith have worked on it its not necessarily set in stone but I came up with the idea for rabbits as follower from the idea that charlie seemed to be an assistant in the maxwell magician act and you know rabbits and magicians just seemed to kinda of go together. Then me and Xain talked about it and both independently came up with the idea of the rabbits helping farm (probably due to Beatrix Potter stories and Winnie the poo) but then had the issue of what happens to the rabbits as she gets closer to becoming the grue. I didn't want to do anything with the beardlings as that was tied to sanity and grueness and sanity are not really linked.

A picture came to me after discarding beardlings,  I thought of the big slow shadow monsters and how they are vaguely in the same oval shape as rabbits and I got a mental image of a rabbit dissolving into a shadow monster and as it got less real getting bigger and slower. And then I thought it would be kinda cool if as she descended into darkness her pet rabbits did as well.

This strangely enough was before I read about maxwells shadows but considering the characters connection I think it fits.  So at the moment that is where we are headed but thought and feedback are welcome.

Its kind of developed as me and XainFaith have worked on it its not necessarily set in stone but I came up with the idea for rabbits as follower from the idea that charlie seemed to be an assistant in the maxwell magician act and you know rabbits and magicians just seemed to kinda of go together. Then me and Xain talked about it and both independently came up with the idea of the rabbits helping farm (probably due to Beatrix Potter stories and Winnie the poo) but then had the issue of what happens to the rabbits as she gets closer to becoming the grue. I didn't want to do anything with the beardlings as that was tied to sanity and grueness and sanity are not really linked.

A picture came to me after discarding beardlings,  I thought of the big slow shadow monsters and how they are vaguely in the same oval shape as rabbits and I got a mental image of a rabbit dissolving into a shadow monster and as it got less real getting bigger and slower. And then I thought it would be kinda cool if as she descended into darkness her pet rabbits did as well.

This strangely enough was before I read about maxwells shadows but considering the characters connection I think it fits.  So at the moment that is where we are headed but thought and feedback are welcome.

hmm, I think their should be a certain way to get the rabbits, perhaps a mid game item to craft

Magical hat:

top hat

2 purple gems

2 golden nuggets

or maybe even an eyebone type thing perhaps "charlies rabbit box" or something

hmm, I think their should be a certain way to get the rabbits, perhaps a mid game item to craft

Magical hat:

top hat

2 purple gems

2 golden nuggets

or maybe even an eyebone type thing perhaps "charlies rabbit box" or something

Well as it is now the rabbits are gain by dropping a carrot in front of them and if they eat it the will follow you. I'm not sure about doing this through a midgame item, its already may be somewhat difficult to keep rabbits as you can only befriend them in normal charlie mode which is likely to not be easy to stay in past the first day (if it is  easy then we need to change ti so its not easy). Basically as it is the rabbits are going to defend you but until they are shadow monsters won't be very strong which means they will die easily and if your not in normal charlie state you won't be able to get more. Adding another road block to this mechanic at the moment seems excessive however lets see how the mechanic works out once we actually get it in the game. 

Your idea might be a interesting way to allow a midgame charlie to get rabbits without having to be normal charlie however.

Edit: In fact I kind of do want a link to a magic hat type thing not sure how we will put it in but there will be something like that it just fits to well not to do it.

Well as it is now the rabbits are gain by dropping a carrot in front of them and if they eat it the will follow you. I'm not sure about doing this through a midgame item, its already may be somewhat difficult to keep rabbits as you can only befriend them in normal charlie mode which is likely to not be easy to stay in past the first day (if it is  easy then we need to change ti so its not easy). Basically as it is the rabbits are going to defend you but until they are shadow monsters won't be very strong which means they will die easily and if your not in normal charlie state you won't be able to get more. Adding another road block to this mechanic at the moment seems excessive however lets see how the mechanic works out once we actually get it in the game. 

Your idea might be a interesting way to allow a midgame charlie to get rabbits without having to be normal charlie however.

hmm, you have a point, waiting till the base mechanics are done is a good idea

If your thinking of brain storming we need a few hard to get ways to regulate gruesomeness via items. Right now I have a way in teh cod to modify the effective light around the character this is shown currently with the garland. I used that mainly as a test feature. Basically teh idea is not that these items actually change the light but change charlies attitude towards her decline into darkness.

my ideas so far beyond the garland were adding two late game armors, a sun dress and an evening dress these would have lower armor value and degrade over time but would make it easier to stay in normal/gruesome charlie states respectively.

Xain also had the idea consumable items that might do something for a set period of time , basically buffs.

If your thinking of brain storming we need a few hard to get ways to regulate gruesomeness via items. Right now I have a way in teh cod to modify the effective light around the character this is shown currently with the garland. I used that mainly as a test feature. Basically teh idea is not that these items actually change the light but change charlies attitude towards her decline into darkness.

my ideas so far beyond the garland were adding two late game armors, a sun dress and an evening dress these would have lower armor value and degrade over time but would make it easier to stay in normal/gruesome charlie states respectively.

Xain also had the idea consumable items that might do something for a set period of time , basically buffs.

those seem like a good idea, but its best not to go too overboard with items so I guess we will see whether it is required

Augh. Sometimes I wish I weren't such a perfectionist. Literally spent the past day or so aligning Charlie's face down to the half-pixels so it wouldn't look so jittery when she blinked. Drived me nuts the first time I did it with Wren.

Combined everything I've got done with Nycidian's latest uploaded version. Includes Charlie's "normal" atlas, all her portraits (big, save, and select screen), a minimap icon, and a withering flower grue badge.

charlie.zip

Augh. Sometimes I wish I weren't such a perfectionist. Literally spent the past day or so aligning Charlie's face down to the half-pixels so it wouldn't look so jittery when she blinked. Drived me nuts the first time I did it with Wren.

Combined everything I've got done with Nycidian's latest uploaded version. Includes Charlie's "normal" atlas, all her portraits (big, save, and select screen), a minimap icon, and a withering flower grue badge.

Very nice  but a few things.

We need to switch the direction of the animation on the widget it going to need to go from 0 being a full bloom flower to 100 being fully wilted this is my mistake I would have mentioned earlier but I didn't realize you were working on it ATM.

She looks really good as you face here but shes not quite right in profile.

post-290854-0-34562400-1382693769_thumb.

As you can see her face is longer in profile than while facing

Also I think her face is too flat and the lock of hair in front should probably stick out a bit both could possibly be fixed by sloping the forehead a bit basically removing the green area I marked to some extent (probably not as much as I marked, I got a bit overzealous).

Everything else is awesome, I love the flower its perfect. I can't wait to see dark and gruesome charlie.

Edit: Also the background of the widget animation should be a green tint not red.

Though if you want I can switch the animation and do the back ground too as its really just busy work since you got the actual art work done but  that is up to you.

As you can see her face is longer in profile than while facing

That's funny. Considering that the side-view head is actually marginally shorter than the front-view head.  :razz:

post-262695-0-50061200-1382734996_thumb.

Also, are you sure the face alignment isn't because you caught it in the middle of the idle bobbing animation? The face moves up and down on its own.

Also I think her face is too flat and the lock of hair in front should probably stick out a bit both could possibly be fixed by sloping the forehead a bit basically removing the green area I marked to some extent (probably not as much as I marked, I got a bit overzealous).

Is this better?

post-262695-0-41398200-1382734997.png

Edit: Also the background of the widget animation should be a green tint not red.

Do you mean this?

post-262695-0-95480700-1382734995.png

I left it as is so it doesn't look out of place amongst the other badges.

Also, I've been meaning to ask, is this happening to you?

post-262695-0-38660900-1382734995.png

It looks like the sanity and grue badges are getting a double frame overlay that is slightly misaligned.

Archived