How many players play on Custom Worlds?

-poll title here-  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the World Customization Screen?

• No, vanilla is tasty. (Default settings)
    • Yes, to make the game easier. (More food/resources, less mobs, etc)
    • Yes, to make the game harder. (Less food/resources, more mobs, etc)
    • Yes, but it's more for a personal playstyle. (Not so motivated by change of difficulty)
    • Yes, on Default Plus or Lights Out.

Just out of curiosity. I know many use mods and such to change how they play, but I wonder how many actively use Custom Worlds on a regular basis. On that note, how effective do you think the world customization options are at tweaking gameplay options?

I definitely do, to suit how I like to play though not really to tweak difficulty. These are my settings:

ljtq.jpg

dszc.jpg

oxt7.jpg

I play the Default Plus preset with all settings on default and ignore the starting items. Why Default Plus? Because it gives a very unique world generation, Adventure Mode exclusive set pieces, and tier 2 spider dens since the beginning.

I play on default. Adjusting these settings doesn't necessarily make it "harder," you use the same solutions to your problems except it takes a longer time to finally get fully established.

Besides, I don't take anyone seriously if they brag about getting to day 500+ with custom settings.

Default plus offers more variation which is better than adding 5 more spider dens and removing 2 carrots or whatever from the world.

Night only is just a pain in the rump.

Whoops, totally forgot about Default Plus and Lights Out. Added to poll. :) I personally love the Adventure set pieces, but spiders. xD I could thwack the nests out one by one, but it's not my ideal world setting because I'd rather have a relaxed game at this point.

I play on default. Adjusting these settings doesn't necessarily make it "harder," you use the same solutions to your problems except it takes a longer time to finally get fully established.

Besides, I don't take anyone seriously if they brag about getting to day 500+ with custom settings.

Default plus offers more variation which is better than adding 5 more spider dens and removing 2 carrots or whatever from the world.

Night only is just a pain in the rump.

I do agree the settings don't necessarily make it harder, since they only change the quantity of things happening in the world.

It does depend on what reasons each player has for tweaking the settings though - personally, I don't like the crazy wave of hounds as days pass but prefer to build in one world, more tentacles because they run out, long summer so I can build and less other things in an attempt to tune out lag. Besides, I can survive with less bunnies/frogs/gobblers (ugh).

I just started Default Plus with some customizations the make it harder which I have already forgotten. I was just shocked to see WX-78 spawning with 3 Chests in the middle of Tier 2 and Tier 3 Spider Den. Talk about the Plus right?

It does depend on what reasons each player has for tweaking the settings though - personally, I don't like the crazy wave of hounds as days pass but prefer to build in one world, more tentacles because they run out, long summer so I can build and less other things in an attempt to tune out lag.

Are they ever gonna make tentacles respawn? Once they're gone it's basically free roam over the swamp (their random placement added to the unpredictability and excitement of it all).

I often play with Lights Out because I'm weird like that, but it bothers me that the caves aren't in perpetual night like the overworld. That just isn't right. Otherwise I just play on the default world because I like the initial resource collection for some reason.

I'm a "pro" at early resource collection because I have been generating so many new worlds recently...still looking for one that's not extremely ugly, tedious to travel through or generally not worth playing for over 500 days.

Are they ever gonna make tentacles respawn? Once they're gone it's basically free roam over the swamp (their random placement added to the unpredictability and excitement of it all).

Exactly. I would love for them to respawn at random places all over the swamps.

I get set up quick enough that I don't really need long summer (nor mods, actually), but I hate the feel of rushing to prepare for winter. Never got further than 180+ days due to boredom though, haha.

Can't play on default anymore. Too easy.

I put all mobs (except for bunnies), weather and lightning to "more" and all resources to "less", remove touchstones and fiddle with the land settings even though I'm not sure what it does.

Creates an interesting situation where there's a lot more to fight, but consequentially more food, like I can get stacks of meat rotting in the first days. There is an issue of not enough sticks and grass, though... even just to replace spears it gets annoying.

Can't play on default anymore. Too easy.

I put all mobs (except for bunnies), weather and lightning to "more" and all resources to "less", remove touchstones and fiddle with the land settings even though I'm not sure what it does.

Creates an interesting situation where there's a lot more to fight, but consequentially more food, like I can get stacks of meat rotting in the first days. There is an issue of not enough sticks and grass, though... even just to replace spears it gets annoying.

But you do get it right? More mobs mean just that - more of the same exact mobs that you defeat in the same exact way. In fact, this may make it easier because they are more likely to be provoked to fight each other in some instances. More weather and lightning...rain helps stuff grow, has negligible sanity drain. Lightning is an annoyance around your immediate vicinity, which might burn down a forest or two but is helpful for charcoal. Not enough sticks and grass just makes the game more tedious, because while the end result is the same, it just takes you longer (not any more difficult) to get there.

I play the with default settings. For myself, i can't be proud if i cheat with the settings. I never get through the first winter, i fight to much, my bad. I still try, one day i'll do it. ^^

P.S. Sorry for my bad quality of english, i'm a French Canadian.

I like to keep it on default since thats what the devs have created to be balanced

That's the spirit!

I did make myself go through at least 100 days on default consistently before starting on mods or custom worlds. Would do that again just to test myself, haha. Right now it's more of a playing how I like VS having to survive. Good luck on surviving first winter, @SkyDollsFactory. :grin:

Well, that speaks for itself. I don't see tweaking the settings as cheating per se (not the same can be said for mods), unless someone does make everything incredibly easy (no winter, no lightning, max touchstones) and then boast about getting to 1000 days. That I don't agree with.

Well, that speaks for itself. I don't see tweaking the settings as cheating per se (not the same can be said for mods), unless someone does make everything incredibly easy (no winter, no lightning, max touchstones) and then boast about getting to 1000 days. That I don't agree with.

This.

It's ok as long as you use cheats, mods, easy settings etc. I get it, you want to play the way you play. But you automatically lose all your bragging rights.

But you do get it right? More mobs mean just that - more of the same exact mobs that you defeat in the same exact way. In fact, this may make it easier because they are more likely to be provoked to fight each other in some instances. More weather and lightning...rain helps stuff grow, has negligible sanity drain. Lightning is an annoyance around your immediate vicinity, which might burn down a forest or two but is helpful for charcoal. Not enough sticks and grass just makes the game more tedious, because while the end result is the same, it just takes you longer (not any more difficult) to get there.

It's actually significantly harder, even if only because of the massive amounts of tallbirds (even on "more" they are freaking everywhere, I would hate to see them on "lots", and they notice you from a mile away while you're doing anything so they becoming really annoying). The early hound attacks are also quite brutal, and send up to 6 at a time. At night the spiders can really swarm you. If rain causes things to grow better it doesn't affect me because I never "farm", I find it boring. So weather is just a downside.

I haven't survived past the first winter on these settings but I always did on default.

Archived