[Feedback] Hounds Spawn Frequency

New to the forums, I've decided to post my feedback of the game. So far, the game is great. There's just one small detail that literally nips the entire experience in the bud.

The hounds.

I personally like the idea of hounds coming from nowhere to gank you, but I think there should be limits as to when they spawn. At the moment, I've encountered many Hound spawns that have ended my run as early as Day 2. My personal thinking is to have them only start to spawn after Day 10. I think that new players especially would be turned away from continuing the game if they faced that kind of difficulty so early on.

Also, I think players who are hearing impaired would appreciate some sort of visual indication as to when they're going to spawn, like the character saying something like "What's that growling sound..?"

Thanks for reading, and I apologize in advance if this feedback is similar to any other thread. I took a glance and a quick search and didn't really find anything talking about this.

Edit: I think it would be more fair/balanced if future updates would provide ways to counter or defend from the hounds. At night you have a simple campfire, if they spawn, 9 times out of 10 you're probably going to die without the right defenses. If there was a way to counter them, it would be excruciatingly helpful. Like a house, or better armor/weapons, or maybe something to scare them away from you.

Edited by Dekinosai

As a player who is slightly hearing impaired I actually find it really annoying that there's only sound to indicate that the hounds are after you. I've died 3 times out of 4 with my encounters with them only because I didn't know they were going after me until it was literally too late.

I love the sound and general ambiance of this game, but compared to everything else the hounds are just too quiet for my ears to pick out. This last time I encountered them I was specifically listening for them, I was only able to actually pick out a light thudding sound about 5 seconds before they rushed me. I ended up dying rather quickly, even though I had a spear I simply wasn't prepared to fight them.

I'm fairly new to this game and honestly the hounds are far too difficult for new players to handle. I ended up ragequitting my first encounter with them.

I absolutely love the suggestions Dekinosai provided!

I really agree though, the hounds are pretty tough at times. Today was my first day playing since the update, hadn't read the patch notes and was completely unaware. They came out of no where at night and killed me on my 47th Day. So of course I'm determined to get back in to it again and start over again right away.

While hunting for rabbits on Day 5 they again came out of no where and mauled me, only had my axe on me and it ended up breaking during the attack. (Sadly the entire time while hunting I was thinking... "What the heck is that sound??" I had to turn my sound up quite a bit.)

I was telling my sister how irritated I was with it and even she agreed that it makes her hesitant to even play until the hounds are completely tuned in. She also suggested making them tamable and I thought it would be neat to send them out to catch rabbits. Lol!

Hounds needs to have territories of which they chase you and when they hunt, like spiders, but active during the day instead of night.

This makes them like a daytime equivalent of danger, except unlike werepigs they are more aggressive and chases you longer.

Hounds are actually frail for their speed, they can outrun you yes, but they can't handle a single spear strike.

The biggest threat is when a group of them lunges though so you can't spear all 3 within a few second.

During the night they can sleep in their little nest where you literally see 'zzZZ's appear in the dark, but they also are EASILY woken when you approach too close, chop a tree too close, or approach with a torch.

Hounds needs a weakness, fire. They should fear it so at night if they do try to approach you, they will avoid getting to close to fire, when you make it the largest that is.

A tree on fire will seriously scare all hounds away from it. A campfire on the 2nd largest and high flames will scare them away.

Maybe once you have a torch you can equip it and try to shoo off hounds by hitting them with it, they will try to avoid rushing you and end up taking turns trying to lunge at you.

When fire is nearby they will change their 'attack on sight' to 'caution' state.

Edited by dra6o0n

So since the update I've been attacked by hounds a lot. It basically seems to be every 5 days. However, every time it has happened I've just gone "Oh, time to equip the spear", watched the hounds arrive (one at a time, usually) and whacked them to death. They rarely get a bite in before they die.

I've yet to see the flame hounds, but I've gotta say the regular ones are not presenting any particular danger. As it stands I just kill them off as they arrive and suffer very little.

They should probably arrive in packs.

The Hounds always arive hungry it seems if there is meat on the ground the will beeline to it. So placing 5 pieces of meat gives you some breathing space and every time you kill one a new piece of (monster)meat is added. I don't if the number of attacking hounds will increase unlimited but I was able to deal with 8 of them till now.

I think a good balance to hounds would be that they also attempt to attack the Beefalo before they attack you. I'm not suggesting if you camp by Beefalo the hounds are child's play but in the later days when you have up to 7 hounds on you at a time, a couple of them go to attack the Beefalo, giving you a little more breathing room for killing them. Ex: trying to kite 7 hounds, running by a Beefalo and having 3 of them go to attack him allowing you to deal with the other 4 before the hounds deal with the Beefalo.

Edited by TheFlirk
Mis-worded

I think a good balance to hounds would be that they also attempt to attack the Beefalo before they attack you. I'm not suggesting if you camp by Beefalo the hounds are child's play but in the later days when you have up to 7 hounds on you at a time, a couple of them go to attack the Beefalo, giving you a little more breathing room for killing them. Ex: trying to kite 7 hounds, running by a Beefalo and having 3 of them go to attack him allowing you to deal with the other 4 before the hounds deal with the Beefalo.

Wait... are you suggesting the hounds should attack beefalo? May I ask, have you tried this yet? You really should. You may be surprised. :)