Tall birds so over protective lol

Preparing for something. Ok there's a clue there. This is now the official thread for speculation. First idea:

Mating seasons. Regardless of actual seasons different animals mate at different times, causing them to be more aggressive and allow respawning to have a logical mechanic in game.

# 2 - The tall birds have an acute awareness (as do animals in real life) of a coming event. Let's speculate on possible events now shall we? Natural disasters (Tidal waves, Tornados or Hurricanes, Earthquakes) This is easy, animals often detect the coming of natural disasters and react to them. These events cause different animal behaviors and have additional effects ie. Needing to repair camps after damages or changing the structure of the known world. A coming monster, again fairly easy, the tallbirds are becoming aggressive because a giant or some other creature that is large and menacing towards them tall birds avoid the creature that is a natural predator of theirs.

I'll let other folks fill in some more ideas. Since my brain is racing with possibilities.

Hmm. Potentially, the animals might mate during the default season, but won't mate during winter. Since winter is a time when (as far as I know) plants would be more scarce, this means the player will be more reliant on meat for survival, but if the animals aren't mating during winter (so, what you have when winter starts is what you get. No animals respawn during winter), there's a real risk of hunting them to extinction if the player isn't careful about what they kill and how many of that animal they kill. That could add an extra layer of strategy to long term survival.

have tallbirds become more protective of there nests or is it the same and I just didnt realize

I was playing and it wouldnt stop chaseing me it followed me everywhere then I thought wait a second they have never done this before?

so what happened

They should either be toned down to stop chasing you after you make a reasonable distance away, or they should respawn.

I didn't even steal an egg yet, but merely getting too close got one on my tail I couldn't shake, so I had to kill it. =/ They're not all that tough, but I don't like ruining that source of eggs, as tallbirds are already scarce...

I agree. I've got a tallbird on my current map and the egg/nest is RIGHT at the end of the bridge I have to go through to get to the rock island. So every time I pass by to go mine some rocks I have to outrun this gonzo bird whose beak packs a wallop, then sneak back and mine the rocks. It's kind of crazy I don't even want the egg, it's just one and not worth the risk to me. But I also don't want to kill the bird because it's kind of cool. Of course if it keeps getting in the way I may just have to look forward to tallbird on my thanksgiving dinner plate.

Kevin said the are like this because of something that's coming, who knows what that is though.

I assume it's winter. And I'll be disappointed if you can't examine a raven which says "winter is coming" after this. But if they're going to be like this forever we'll have to write off eggs for anything for the foreseeable future...

So I just got this game today & got as far as seeing this monster for the first time. It just kept following me everywhere & I could run away. It would always be just close enough that if I clicked on something like a tree, I was dead. I also tried to attack it once with the tree armor & still dies. Is there something I'm missing here?