Kinla    10

post-3315-13764589447559_thumb.png

I woke up this morning with this idea. So thought I'd join the forums to show it. It's a silly idea, or already thought of something similar I'm sure, so sorry if I waist anyones reading time.

Flame hounds, I haven't seen one yet, but honestly I think they need a biome of their own. (I'm just calling it Red Hot Biome...derp) So what if you have to make a magic item you can only get with a large amount of Science Points. Made through the Alchemy Engine I guess. Once you have that item you burn it on your camp fire and it sends you to the Red Hot for a few days (or just a day) then you appear back in the morning by your camp fire.

This can open up new items you can craft maybe, like limited fire protection potion for characters that aren't fire proof.

Anyways, once at the red hot biome, there would be like, little lava puddles here and there, with flame hounds around, if you get too close to a flame hound, it would run to the puddle drink from it, then run at you on fire? XD

With fire protection you wouldn't get burnt but you would still take hit damage and wont be about to use a log suit, So maybe there are items you can collect and craft in the red hot Biome for better defense that doesn't burst into flames.

I'm not saying get rid of the flame hounds all together in the normal biomes when they randomly attack with normal hounds, just make them more rare there.

mobius187    29

As I understand it, flame hounds spawn randomly with other hounds during one of their random hound attacks. I've been attacked twice so far, but they haven't appeared yet.

That being said, your "red hot" biome could very well be a biome I suggested a while back (which as I recall, to be fair, was mentioned by another user too) and that is the volcanic island biome. The original idea behind the volcanic island was to create a location that would spawn boulders. The way this would happen is every, say, 15-30 days the island would have an eruption and boulders would land all around the island.

Now in addition to respawnable boulders, the island would have plenty of natural dangers like lava stream/lakes, fires, and steam vents. Not to mention the eruptions with would shake the entire island and potentially drop boulders on your head. In short, it was a difficult place to visit and difinitely a place you wouldn't want to stay.

But basically it could be a great place for the fire hounds to live. I mean, they have to come from somewhere, am I right? I would still have new one randomly spawn and attack the player, like they do right now, but also have some pre-spawned flame hounds living on the volcanic island as well. And just like how frogs spawn from ponds, maybe flame hounds could spawn from lava pools.

On a side point, research points are being eliminated in January. And my own personal preference is against the idea of magic and potions. However I wouldn't mind seeing some means to make the character partially fire resistant... sun screen cream (SPF 8000)? :)

Kinla    10

Correct randomly. I don't like it much when the hounds attack at night, I'm just happy I don't mistake their breathing with Beefalo like I did my first encounter with them, didn't last past 4 days that time hehe.

yeah I figured as much, a fire base biome was a given to be bright up before, but I thought I'd still give my idea out even if useless. Never know what good might come from it, new ideas could spark from anywhere after all ^w^.

ohh, thats a brilliant idea, the location I am in right now is almost out of boulders so a way for them to respawn would be useful. Surely wouldn't want to get hit by a boulder, that would be a insta kill if not dropping you down to on heart.

Yeah I wouldn't change the random encounters at all, at first I dislike that, but the longer I played I see nothing wrong with it, even if I came across a flame hound with normal ones (still haven't yet) wouldn't bother me too much if everything went up in flames pfft haha. but a origin would be nice for at least the flame hounds, all the other creatures I came across have a place to call home after all, why not hounds.

Just like frogs...didn't think of that relation when I brought it up, but yes them spawning from the pools would be neat looking.

what? eliminated the points how come, I thought that was a nice touch to building, sigh being new to all of this is hard to keep up.

SPF 8000 haha I love that idea X3 it's a bummer about your preference against magic and potions, but I can understand, I like your idea better anyways, just trying to picture the animation to a character putting on sun screen makes me giggle.

Oh, also about the whole boulders falling on the head, a hard hat, like similar to construction hats could be made for that, to protect from at least one boulder if it falls on you, pretty weak durability.

mobius187    29
Correct randomly. I don't like it much when the hounds attack at night, I'm just happy I don't mistake their breathing with Beefalo like I did my first encounter with them, didn't last past 4 days that time hehe.

Yes, they do tend to appear closer to sunset/night. They should appear during the day as well.

yeah I figured as much, a fire base biome was a given to be bright up before, but I thought I'd still give my idea out even if useless. Never know what good might come from it, new ideas could spark from anywhere after all ^w^.

There's always merit in suggesting an idea, even if you guess it's been suggested before. After all, how can the Devs know what players want unless they see people asking for it? I try to mention volcanic islands as much as possible in hopes that Sooner or later Kevin will take note. ;)

ohh, thats a brilliant idea, the location I am in right now is almost out of boulders so a way for them to respawn would be useful. Surely wouldn't want to get hit by a boulder, that would be a insta kill if not dropping you down to on heart.

It sounds like you're on a rocky island, usually the island where the tallbird spawns. So yes, the appearance would be similar only, as you illustrated above, there would be pools of boiling lava that would send flaming cinders into the air and streams of lava which would flow across the island randomly from time to time creating impassible barriers all the way to the island's edge (i.e. when a lava pool overflows). And let's not forget steam vents that spray forth scalding (and potentially toxic) vapors from time to time... a bad place to be walking or standing should this suddenly happen. That, along with the eruptions that drop boulders and your idea of having this be the home of the flame hounds... and well... I wouldn't want to stay here any longer than absolutely necessary.

On the flip side, all that lava and fire would illuminate the area... so you wouldn't be eaten by a Grue.

but a origin would be nice for at least the flame hounds, all the other creatures I came across have a place to call home after all, why not hounds.

Agreed. It still strikes me as odd that they appear out of thin air. I would almost prefer if they each had their own territories (islands) and if you wandered onto them then you risked them again you for every day you stayed there. I agree, the fact the hounds attack randomly and from nowhere (i.e. the player's current location) is fine with me, but I would like some more logic to it.

Just like frogs...didn't think of that relation when I brought it up, but yes them spawning from the pools would be neat looking.

It would be funnier if they started as normal hounds (as per your illustration) and jumped into a lava pool... then popped out the other side as a flame hound. MADNESS! :D

what? eliminated the points how come, I thought that was a nice touch to building, sigh being new to all of this is hard to keep up.

Yup. Kevin isn't happy with the research point system so he's planning to remove it. Of course this won't be until January because he doesn't want to drop a new system on us in December and then go off for Christmas holidays... and then come back to find we hated it.

The new system will use resources to "buy" invention unlocks (so-to-speak).

SPF 8000 haha I love that idea X3 it's a bummer about your preference against magic and potions, but I can understand, I like your idea better anyways, just trying to picture the animation to a character putting on sun screen makes me giggle.

I can only imagine what Wilson and the others might comment... "Lava? Better put on some more sun screen...".

Oh, also about the whole boulders falling on the head, a hard hat, like similar to construction hats could be made for that, to protect from at least one boulder if it falls on you, pretty weak durability.

I assume any form of armor would help keep you alive, whether the log suit (maybe not the best idea for an island of lava/fire...) or the football cap.

Edited by Toaster Fu