[Tutorial] Adding Custom Sound To Your Custom Character

Malacath

I'm sorry but this keeps crashing on me

How do i get a .fsb file?? Is this out out of date??

I feel like this is my main problem and I don't know what is wrong

Figured out my problem had an 8-but depth *.wav file for some reason

Couple questions and a couple problems

problems first:

How exactly do I get the example template into FMOD? I can't download it from the link so I'm slightly confused

On Cheerio's Tutorial, opening sound files from the template there causes FMOD to crash.

and questions:

does any type of sound file work, or are there specific format, time or size requirements?

One of my mods makes Walani a playable character in DST. How do I get her sound speech files out of the shipwrecked .fsb? (they aren't separate)

Is there a way to replace default sounds (for example, Gramaphone music or bird calls)? 

You don't really need a template. Just open FMOD, File -> New Project...

Then when you created new project, FMOD should show you "Groups" Tab. The second one under it, named "untitled" is the one you want to change name of. So, for example let's name it "character". Then right-click and choose "Add Simple Event...".  You would want to name events after sounds you want to override (if you're making a character). So, there's:

- talk_LP;

- yawn;

- pose;

- ghost_LP;

- emote;

- death_voice;

- hurt.

"event00" and "your_event_name" should appear. Delete "event00". 

You can add your sound files and according to your own needs, change volume and stuff. If you're making mod for DST you want to set:

- Max Playbacks: 6 or more;

- Mode: 3D;

- 3D Rolloff: Linear;

- 3D Max Distance: 30;

- 3D Position: World Relative.

So, your sounds won't play for the whole server when your character is talking. All of above options are on the right in FMOD.

Lastly, go into "Banks" tab (the one after "Events, Sound Defs, Music") and rename your bank. It can be the same as the one in the "Events" Tab.

Then click CTRL+B, check your bank and Build. Now you have your .fev and .fsb files.

Go to your modmain and add them in your assets:

Asset("SOUNDPACKAGE", "sound/character.fev"),
Asset("SOUND", "sound/character.fsb"),

(I've put my sound files in the folder named "sound" in my mod directory).

Then you gotta remap your sound events (in modmain as well):

RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/character/death_voice", "character/character/death_voice" )
RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/character/hurt", "character/character/hurt" )

And so on.

Sorry for necromancing.

I have followed the steps above and then created my own sound files for my character's speech, hurt and death sounds.
For some reason, none of them work ingame, they are silent, my character is mute. While previewing the sounds in the mod tool program, things seem ok though... And the game does not crash at all.

I have an error message that displays as:

[string "../mods/pinkmedic/modmain.lua"]:38: '}' expected to close '{' at line 6) near 'RemapSoundEvent'

Here is my stuff I'm working with:

RemapSoundEvent{ ( "dontstarve/characters/pinkmedic/death_voice", "pinkmedic/sound/death_voice " ) RemapSoundEvent ( " dontstarve/characters/pinkmedic/hurt", "pinkmedic/sound/hurt" ) RemapSoundEvent ( "dontstarve/characters/pinkmedic/talk_LP", "pinkmedic/sound/talk_LP" ), }

What am I doing wrong?

On 29.01.2016. at 7:18 PM, PanAzej said:

Then when you created new project, FMOD should show you "Groups" Tab. The second one under it, named "untitled" is the one you want to change name of. So, for example let's name it "character". Then right-click and choose "Add Simple Event...".  You would want to name events after sounds you want to override (if you're making a character). So, there's:

- talk_LP;

- yawn;

- pose;

- ghost_LP;

- emote;

- death_voice;

- hurt.

You can add your sound files and according to your own needs, change volume and stuff. If you're making mod for DST you want to set:

So, your sounds won't play for the whole server when your character is talking. All of above options are on the right in FMOD.

Lastly, go into "Banks" tab (the one after "Events, Sound Defs, Music") and rename your bank. It can be the same as the one in the "Events" Tab.

Then click CTRL+B, check your bank and Build. Now you have your .fev and .fsb files.

RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/character/death_voice", "character/character/death_voice" )
RemapSoundEvent( "dontstarve/characters/character/hurt", "character/character/hurt" )

And so on.

Thank you, worked like a charm.

On 29.01.2016. at 7:18 PM, PanAzej said:

- talk_LP;

- yawn;

- pose;

- ghost_LP;

- emote;

- death_voice;

- hurt.

And so on.

Hey uhh, I just realized that when I load a game my custom character sound only starts to work normal after I do two examinations. So like, if I want to examine something the first time my character is silent but on the second time it only starts playing half of the sound I wanted and after that everything works normally and doesen't cause any problems. Would you perhaps know why is this a thing?

On 2016-01-29 at 1:18 PM, PanAzej said:

- talk_LP;

- yawn;

- pose;

- ghost_LP;

- emote;

- death_voice;

- hurt.

And so on.

what do i do? you say add events talk_LP and etc but i clicked add simple events and idk what to write im on dst

9 hours ago, Sandystand said:

what do i do? you say add events talk_LP and etc but i clicked add simple events and idk what to write im on dst

Add simple events, and name them "talk_LP", "yawn" and so on, then continue with my instructions.

I successfully was able to get my custom sounds to work using this mod, however I have a problem. The sounds I am using do not finish entirely due to their length, for example, if I examine a tree, the sound plays from the beginning and then continues only until the animation for the character talking is finished. I would like to have the custom sound complete, even after the character had finished talking. Any help towards this problem would be greatly appreciated. One example of a mod that has made success in this is this Donald Trump mod found on the steam workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619960620&searchtext=

If anyone can help me with this, I would be so happy. I will continue to look for what it might be! -Tom

Can somebody help me? I was looking for a program used on screenshots and it seems nowhere around to be. The page for download apears empty. Is it just me, or something happened that made Klei call back the stuff?

On 7/14/2016 at 10:06 PM, Getura said:

Can somebody help me? I was looking for a program used on screenshots and it seems nowhere around to be. The page for download apears empty. Is it just me, or something happened that made Klei call back the stuff?

open up steam.

Hover your mouse over the "Library" button.

Hit The "TOOLS" Button.

Hover your mouse over the "Don't Starve Mod Tools"

Install it! If you already did then right click it.

now click the button that says "Launch FMOD Designer"

Now that your question is answer I'll now sharply stare at the tutorial so I can understand how to add custom sounds to my character without asking stupid question and pissing off the people whos going to help me haha

On 1/6/2016 at 0:06 AM, 4Seasons said:

Figured out my problem had an 8-but depth *.wav file for some reason

I actually have the same problem. When you do CTRL+ B I only get the fev file but I didnt get a FSP file. Can you explain why this happen?

(Update)

Figure out why I didn't get the FSP file. When you do Ctrl+B it'll bring up a window and at the middle ish area you'll see a little white box you need to check before you press build

(Updated 2)

Goodie two shoes I actually got my sound playing :D now the only problem I have now is the sound get cuts off after 0.8 seconds lol

Archived