[Animation] Animation Nation

My sincerest apologies for the audio - I'm unwell, there was a rainstorm in the background, and I was recording on a very bad microphone... and between the filtering and video compression, or something... my voice sounded even worse than normal... (I swear, it didn't sound that bad before...)

I also apologise for the neighbour's dogs barking occasionally.

If you can put up with the horrid noise, I think there's some helpful information in there.

But I am a bit hazy and sick, so... it may be less coherent than I think it is...

My sincerest apologies for the audio - I'm unwell, there was a rainstorm in the background, and I was recording on a very bad microphone... and between the filtering and video compression, or something... my voice sounded even worse than normal... (I swear, it didn't sound that bad before...)

If you can put up with the horrid noise, I think there's some helpful information in there.

But I am a bit hazy and sick, so... it may be less coherent than I think it is...

I'm only halfway through, but it's looking very interesting! (and c'mon, you don't sound thaaat bad ;P)

After your second moaning about the lack of bone support, and how it makes you want to shoot yourself, I decided to take a closer look at what could be done about it at the .scml postprocessing level, and stumbled onto something very interesting: http://code.google.com/p/scml-pp/. Though, since it's a C++ library (and not, say, a Perl one), use of it means having a compiled program.

I'm only halfway through, but it's looking very interesting! (and c'mon, you don't sound thaaat bad ;P)

After your second moaning about the lack of bone support, and how it makes you want to shoot yourself, I decided to take a closer look at what could be done about it at the .scml postprocessing level, and stumbled onto something very interesting: http://code.google.com/p/scml-pp/. Though, since it's a C++ library (and not, say, a Perl one), use of it means having a compiled program.

Are you kidding? Between the filtering and some weird compression or encoding, I ended up sounding like a radioactive chipmunk with the flu. xP

You're... probably going to have to explain why that is very interesting...

It looks like... code that can interpret the data in an scml file? But... I didn't see any mention of what it can do with that data...

Forgive me... I'm hazy. >.<;

You're... probably going to have to explain why that is very interesting...

It looks like... code that can interpret the data in an scml file? But... I didn't see any mention of what it can do with that data...

Forgive me... I'm hazy. >.<;

It's a code (library) to load a scml file. It doesn't do anything with it itself (well, it does support rendering, but we're not interested in that), but that's beyond the point. What matters is the loading (and then the saving, but I think that'll have to be done by hand).

A XML Perl processor might still be better, though. Do you have a pair of (simple) .scml sample files to provide me, one using bones and the other one not?

It's a code (library) to load a scml file. It doesn't do anything with it itself (well, it does support rendering, but we're not interested in that), but that's beyond the point. What matters is the loading (and then the saving, but I think that'll have to be done by hand).

A XML Perl processor might still be better, though. Do you have a pair of (simple) .scml sample files to provide me, one using bones and the other one not?

There should be multiple kinds within the exported folder of the mod. The tailball has bones, I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5DKcgCdAR0

We have badges, but what we really need is MEDALS!

That is one amazing post Dana!

(and i think you have a sweet voice) mvvv.png (and the barking dogs are great for ambience, i think i might use canned barking in my next videos) :^P

Off-topic

lol

A tutorial making fun of videos with bad audio would be awesome!

"Next we'll aplly the speeding car filter to this segment, because the important narration here is too clear.

This particular filter works very well with the canned barking FX, wich as we've said before, should be applied generously on all homevideos.

Once that's done we can export our video at 32kbit/s to youtube, and just sit back and watch the likes roll in!"

attachicon.gifwigglebox.zip

Okay, here we go - Wigglebox with and without bones performing pretty much identical animation loops.

Thanks for that. [:

I'll see if I can put together a bone -> boneless converter. It's not looking particularly hard to write one, just quite time consuming (and time is something I won't have to spare over the next days). But I'll tackle it when I'm able to.

Should it?

I mean, I don't think it matters either way; nor do I mind... but I don't seem to be able to do it.

Unless I'm just an idiot, and it's really simple... >.<

When you click on "Edit" for the topic's OP and go in Full Editor, there's a field "Topic Tags" below the topic title.

Perl build renamer. I hope you'll find it easy to use:

/*Usage:    kbr.pl [OPTION]... <input-file> [output-file]    Try 'kbr.pl --help' for more information.Options:    -n, --name new-name            Sets the new name for the build.    -i, --in-place            Overwrites the input-file in place, discarding the output-file            argument.    -h, --help            Prints a usage help message.    --man   Prints the manual page and exits.Description:    If a new name is not given through --name or -n, prints the build name    of input-file. Otherwise, writes the renamed build to output-file. If    output-file is not given, "build.bin" is used. If output-file is a    directory, "build.bin" prefixed by this directory path is used.*/
EDIT: There was an inconsistency in the description. Fixed.

Note: Unless you place it in a system path (not necessary at all), the command for using it will be something like "./kbr.pl", and not just "kbr.pl". I don't know if you know these things, so...

Example: Assume you're at some directory, with kbr.pl in it as well as the lantern's build.bin. Then

./kbr.pl --name herolan -i build.bin
Changes the build name in build.bin to herolan.

kbr.zip

Thanks for that!

I mean, it wasn't difficult at all to use the hex editor, but this is still really neat. =)

I might be able to make it into a simple app, using automator. If I do, I'll post it - thought I don't know how many Mac modders there are to make use of it. xD

Well, when you want to increase the name of the build, doing it by hand is a bit of a pain. But I wrote it mostly as an automation tool to be a part of our "buildchain".

I used it, finally, and it worked like a charm. Not that I had any doubts. =P

I've been trying to wrap it in an Automator app or workflow... and can't seem to figure out quite how.

I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully someone can make it work...

I've gotten as far as Asking for a file, prompting the user for a buildname, and executing a shell script... but I have no idea how to make the data from those user inputs be used in the command...

So, here's what I've got, if anyone else is able to make it work:

buildrenameauto.zip

You artists and your GUIs. I dislike them so. The only applications I use with GUIs are Firefox and Thunderbird. And games, if you're willing to count that.

All artists require pretty things that we can touch to survive...

Without the prettiness... we will wither and die...

Fade away...

Fade away...

Fade away...

Hi!

I see this post is quiet for a month but I have to ask...

What exactly needs to be animated?

I mean, I see you're working towards an stable alpha build, and i'm trying to follow your workflow but...I don't know whats a priority right now xD.

Can anyone tell me what can I do to help in animation?

Please, insert your request here!

PS:I'm not saying I can do anything but, in case I can, I want to do something useful to help you advance

Archived