General Development

debugman18

Should the weather machine's effect on the cloudrealm really be completely permanent and irreversible? I'm thinking the player should be able to revert this, but not just by activating the machine again (or deactivating it), since that'd simply be a too convenient way of turning on static, grabbing what you need and then turning it off.

How about it gets destroyed when the player uses it (hopefully without requiring a custom animation :razz:), so another one must be built for the effect to be reversed? And how about doing the same for its use on the surface (since right now the player can just use it again and again until the desired season is reached), making it take a few less gears to build?

Actually this sounds like a pretty solid change to implement!

So that Tula person made another video, and I noticed a few things that have become apparent. For one, not enough items were burnable (that should be burnable). I fixed this (rather, implemented it) and it will be tweaked in the future. For now, things that should be able to be fed to fire can be fed to fire. A few mobs now drop more appropriate loot. The marshmallow bees drop marshmallows instead of honey. Owls drop a black crystal fragment. (This will be changed post-alpha.)

I haven't touched the weather machine yet, @simplex, since I didn't know if you were working on it. Same goes for the duckraptor spawning. If you're not messing with those I'll deal with them.

I haven't touched the weather machine yet, @simplex, since I didn't know if you were working on it. Same goes for the duckraptor spawning. If you're not messing with those I'll deal with them.

I'll take care of the weather machine and the duckraptor spawning. I'll just leave open the visual effect of the weather machine breaking down (I'll make it simply disappear, provisionally).

Say, what do you guys think about me making a harmonica voice for the Shop Keeper?

I'd love that! But... I'd rather you did that after we release alpha, since crossing out the few remaining items on our TODO list is a priority right now.

pssst

pssst

do you guys still need music?

i was screwing around on my piano when suddenly decided to look for another u&a video.

so ithought there needs to be music in there

so... um...

i tried something

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47288163/Theme%20Test.m4a

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47288163/Danger%20Test.m4a

(sorry for unnecessary stops, that's just what happens when i record something i play XD)

if u don't like it i will put it away, just wanted to see if it helps

i will go back to drawing now

• Like 4

pssst

pssst

i was screwing around on my piano when suddenly decided to look for another u&a video.

so... um...

i tried something

(sorry for unnecessary stops, that's just what happens when i record something i play XD)

I love it! Especially that car screech in the first one, it gives it such as experimental feel :razz:.

But seriously, they're quite good. I think they'd go well with U&A.

pssst

pssst

so... um...

i tried something

Damnit, you make me wish I didn't sell my banjo. I do like the ambient sounds in it, though. The occasional windy sound and what sounds like birds chirping makes it sound more, what's the word...alive? I don't know the word.

I will have the Shop Keeper's voice some time tomorrow, if everything goes to plan. :-) Haven't played the harmonica in a while, so it'd be good to freshen up a bit. And I've been getting better at sound stuff.

Edited by Mr. Tiddles
  • Like 1

I love it! Especially that car screech in the first one, it gives it such as experimental feel :razz:.

But seriously, they're quite good. I think they'd go well with U&A.

Damnit, you make me wish I didn't sell my banjo. I do like the ambient sounds in it, though. The occasional windy sound and what sounds like birds chirping makes it sound more, what's the word...alive? I don't know the word.

I will have the Shop Keeper's voice some time tomorrow, if everything goes to plan. :-) Haven't played the harmonica in a while, so it'd be good to freshen up a bit. And I've been getting better at sound stuff.

yeah, it was ridiculously loud outside XD perhaps that actually works, the more ambient sounds, the better. It's like a movie, there shouldn't be unnecessary silence. finally i'm not regretting learning how to play the piano XD

yeah, it was ridiculously loud outside XD perhaps that actually works, the more ambient sounds, the better. It's like a movie, there shouldn't be unnecessary silence. finally i'm not regretting learning how to play the piano XD

Pianos are great! Hey, since we're starting sound design, do you's guys mind if I make a sound thread? I got a good name.

Or is "pleasuring your ear-holes" inappropriate?

Edited by Mr. Tiddles

Pianos are great! Hey, since we're starting sound design, do you's guys mind if I make a sound thread? I got a good name.

...Maybe? It's probably because of the ear-holes. I don't mind using it anyways, unless someone feels violated XD

Not inappropriate at all. I mean, so long as you limit it to sound. :p I mean, there's a jerky-themed thread in general discussion, so... Yeah.

Edited by debugman18

...Maybe? It's probably because of the ear-holes. I don't mind using it anyways, unless someone feels violated XD

Maybe. Anyways, will you be making an epic fight song? Because I'm sure that would be excellent.

That's it!  We need more ambient sounds!

I'll get looking right away.

Maybe. Anyways, will you be making an epic fight song? Because I'm sure that would be excellent.

perhaps? We can also try to make a separate theme for boss fights or something. I don't really remember what kinds of melodies there are, but there sure are many. Plus we might need some new sounds for the new mobs? The octocopter MUST have that propeller-like sound :3 (bet it will sound the best with anything but the actual propeller sound XD ) also raccoons, gummybears, birds, owl things maybe even something else.

perhaps? We can also try to make a separate theme for boss fights or something. I don't really remember what kinds of melodies there are, but there sure are many. Plus we might need some new sounds for the new mobs? The octocopter MUST have that propeller-like sound :3 (bet it will sound the best with anything but the actual propeller sound XD ) also raccoons, gummybears, birds, owl things maybe even something else.

Shall we move this to the sound thread? About the Gummy bears... high-pitched squeeks and low-pitched gurgles. I could do both with my voice and about half an hour of audio editing.

The octocopter MUST have that propeller-like sound :3 (bet it will sound the best with anything but the actual propeller sound XD )

I've seen an entire anime (about planes, no less) where they blew raspberries in place of propeller noises.

Okay, so I implemented the worldgen tweaks suggested, and a few extra things.

I balanced the crystal drops, so they should now be worth mining.

I also added some 'abilities' to the thunder logs and dragonblood logs.

When a thunder log is used in a fire, it will bring down a lightning strike. Pretty predictable, I may tweak this in the future.

When a dragonblood log is used on a firepit, a few things happen. Firstly, the fire will go out initially. After that, the flame will be red, and much hotter (enough to cause overheating in the cloud realm), although it burns out a little over 10x quicker. The firepit will never revert to a regular fire afterwards. It's useful for a quick heat boost, but it consumes too much fuel to be reliable, so the player should have to find other ways to keep warm longer. It also has a 10% chance to go out every two seconds. I'm going to see if I can make foods cooked on it turn into ash.

Of course, either of these are up for criticism and tweaking or even removal if people don't like them. :razz:

My plan is to possibly even move effects like these to other firepit variants in the future.

Edited by debugman18