General Development

debugman18

I'm VERY glad to see the mod is still underway! I'm really looking forward to this huge work you guys are doing!
Anybody got a slight idea of when it will be available? 6 months, a year, more?

edit: just saw those screenshots in the post above me, and only one word comes to mind! WOW!

So, can i download a beta? since i see ''work in progress'' in the screenshots.

Edited by julz1981

I'm VERY glad to see the mod is still underway! I'm really looking forward to this huge work you guys are doing!

edit: just saw those screenshots in the post above me, and only one word comes to mind! WOW!

When it will be available? Soon. It will be an alpha release.

When it will be complete? No idea and I'm not even going to give an incredibly generous estimate. :p

The mod is currently in prealpha. That warning is going to be there a while.

Feel free to download it, but please remember there are bugs that we do and do not know about.

https://github.com/debugman18/UpAndAway/archive/master.zip

or you can scour the subforum for a link to a packaged version. The master.zip is the most recent and has less bugs, but it's also a little bit more troublesome for non-developers to use.

Doubling down on what debugman18 said: the alpha release should come very soon. If you blink you might miss it.

Edited by simplex

What are we going to do about the Axe of Storms' durability? We certainly can't keep it permanent as it is now :razz:.

I forgot to adjust it. :p It won't be too shortly lived though, since it hurts the player roughly half of the time (literally a negative health delta), along with the damage from the lightning strike. It's meant to be a gamble more than a reliable magic weapon.

I forgot to adjust it. :razz: It won't be too shortly lived though, since it hurts the player roughly half of the time (literally a negative health delta), along with the damage from the lightning strike. It's meant to be a gamble more than a reliable magic weapon.

Well, we could make the health loss be negated by electrical insulators (added recently in RoG). If the player is willing to fight with a rain coat, so be it :razz:.

Well, we could make the health loss be negated by electrical insulators (added recently in RoG). If the player is willing to fight with a rain coat, so be it :razz:.

That's a good idea, actually. I'll implement that. Right now I'm tweaking it and trying to get Winnie's staff to work better.

Doubling down on what debugman18 said: the alpha release should come very soon. If you blink you might miss it.

wait,wait,wait...i blinked! is it out yet? XD

In all seriousness, thanks to both of you for the answer, i was about to install the master zip but how hard is it to install? also, will it mess anything up with my current worlds?

Thanks

wait,wait,wait...i blinked! is it out yet? XD

In all seriousness, thanks to both of you for the answer, i was about to install the master zip but how hard is it to install? also, will it mess anything up with my current worlds?

Thanks

It's pretty simple. Just install it like any other mod. However, you'll have to create a folder and drop the contents of the zip into the folder.

As for messing up things, it's in pre-alpha. It won't necessarily mess anything up, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I suggest making backups if you're really concerned.

• Like 1

It's pretty simple. Just install it like any other mod. However, you'll have to create a folder and drop the contents of the zip into the folder.

As for messing up things, it's in pre-alpha. It won't necessarily mess anything up, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I suggest making backups if you're really concerned.

All right, thanks for the quick answer XD

I will definitely try the mod later today and i will give feedback regularly!

• Like 1

Alright, I implemented the dependency of the mushroom hat's effects on its current freshness. You're still equally likely to switch to any of the states regardless of its freshness, what changes is the average time you spend in each of these states. When it's fresh, good states last longer and bad states last shorter; as it spoils, the situation reverses.

Currently the hat lasts 10 days (the same as a picked mushroom). Do you think that's too much?

Alright, I implemented the dependency of the mushroom hat's effects on its current freshness. You're still equally likely to switch to any of the states regardless of its freshness, what changes is the average time you spend in each of these states. When it's fresh, good states last longer and bad states last shorter; as it spoils, the situation reverses.

Currently the hat lasts 10 days (the same as a picked mushroom). Do you think that's too much?

I think that seems reasonable. We'll have to see how people use it, I think.

I just bought my friend Don't Starve and RoG (they were on sale), so we'll have an extra tester. :p

• Like 1

I was thinking maybe we should prevent so many mobs in the cloudrealm killing each other. We need some antagonists, sure, like strix vs. gnome, but right now I just feel they kill each other gratuitously leaving a pile of loot behind (somewhat like a swamp). I think strixes, frogs and other non-monster mobs shouldn't attack geese and other passive mobs. I also think the skytrap shouldn't be attacked even by more intrinsically aggressive mobs like gummy bears.

And oh, how about making the golden egg being laid a random thing? It's important to have geese all around the map to have easily available eggs, but on the other hand right now they drop a bit too much. Keeping it a 25% thing should help with balance.

• Like 1

I was thinking maybe we should prevent so many mobs in the cloudrealm killing each other. We need some antagonists, sure, like strix vs. gnome, but right now I just feel they kill each other gratuitously leaving a pile of loot behind (somewhat like a swamp). I think strixes, frogs and other non-monster mobs shouldn't attack geese and other passive mobs. I also think the skytrap shouldn't be attacked even by more intrinsically aggressive mobs like gummy bears.

And oh, how about making the golden egg being laid a random thing? It's important to have geese all around the map to have easily available eggs, but on the other hand right now they drop a bit too much. Keeping it a 25% thing should help with balance.

I agree with most of this post.

I also love you all for making that SOON joke.

And oh, I think Thundertree Boards should take 4 Thunder Logs, not 6. That's the well established log to board ratio :razz:.

Done. :D

Sounds good.

So, what's planned for the mod next, after all the artwork and stuff is finished up?

Start working on post-alpha content. What that entails is adding some new content (for some specifics, see the todo-postalpha), as well as taking into account (lots of) player feedback. Feedback is going to be very important during the alpha phase.

Edited by debugman18

Should the weather machine's effect on the cloudrealm really be completely permanent and irreversible? I'm thinking the player should be able to revert this, but not just by activating the machine again (or deactivating it), since that'd simply be a too convenient way of turning on static, grabbing what you need and then turning it off.

How about it gets destroyed when the player uses it (hopefully without requiring a custom animation :razz:), so another one must be built for the effect to be reversed? And how about doing the same for its use on the surface (since right now the player can just use it again and again until the desired season is reached), making it take a few less gears to build?