General Development

debugman18

Now the preview level works without RoG. I had to jump through hoops to get this to work right, including implementing a new pre init (AddPopulateWorldPreInit), but it's done. As a plus, this new pre init helps with gathering information about the roads of the world, used for spawning the shopkeeper, which now happens before any game/sim post init and does not require loading the save file twice (simply using the same data the game loaded to start the save).

Also, I'm just curious, no harm done, but why'd you fork the repo? :razz:

Isn't it obvious? Arctic plans to betray us, forming his own team to develop an Up and Away now under his control. Bilbo wants the ring for himself.

Now the preview level works without RoG. I had to jump through hoops to get this to work right, including implementing a new pre init (AddPopulateWorldPreInit), but it's done. As a plus, this new pre init helps with gathering information about the roads of the world, used for spawning the shopkeeper, which now happens before any game/sim post init and does not require loading the save file twice (simply using the same data the game loaded to start the save).

Isn't it obvious? Arctic plans to betray us, forming his own team to develop an Up and Away now under his control. Bilbo wants the ring for himself.

Ha!

ring-is-mine.jpg?w=640

But it's all ours, isn't it, precious?

That was creepier than I imagined it.

• Like 1

Also, I'm just curious, no harm done, but why'd you fork the repo? :razz:

I did what? (No idea what that means). :-)

EezqUHO.gif

No, but have I done something on GitHub by accident?

Edited by ArcticFox789
  • Like 1

I did what? (No idea what that means). :-)

Forking means to create an identical version of the repo, usually this is done to continue deprecated source code or to develop separately from it, in order to do things like pull requests. :p

• Like 1

How do you think the recipe for the Mushroom Hat should be handled? This is a unique item among those we're adding in that it takes only ingredients from the surface, and it's not quite related to the fable tech tree. Should the recipe just be automatically unlocked by having U&A enabled? Should a blueprint be randomly obtainable from picking a jellyshroom?

How do you think the recipe for the Mushroom Hat should be handled? This is a unique item among those we're adding in that it takes only ingredients from the surface, and it's not quite related to the fable tech tree. Should the recipe just be automatically unlocked by having U&A enabled? Should a blueprint be randomly obtainable from picking a jellyshroom?

You could just add jelly caps to the recipe, so it qualifies to be in the the cloudrealm's tech tree. Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

Why not just add it into the vanilla tech tree?

Edited by ArcticFox789

Why not just add it into the vanilla tech tree?

Without requiring anything cloudrealm-related to be unlocked? I think this would break suspension of disbelief. With U&A, you just happen to stumble upon a mysterious character, which offers you a way to reach new, unexplored territories. It's believable within the game's lore, integrating seamlessly with the player's experience, as opposed to just plugging stuff into the world. Making the mod simply add a new recipe to the science machine, alchemy engine or whatever, on the other hand, is not. There should be a justification for why Wilson did not previously know how to tie three mushrooms with a rope, and now he does. That's why I think a blueprint would fit. It just shouldn't be hard to get.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

Without requiring anything cloudrealm-related to be unlocked? I think this would break suspension of disbelief. With U&A, you just happen to stumble upon a mysterious character, which offers you a way to reach new, unexplored territories. It's believable within the game's lore, integrating seamlessly with the player's experience, as opposed to just plugging stuff into the world. Making the mod simply add a new recipe to the science machine, alchemy engine or whatever, on the other hand, is not. There should be a justification for why Wilson did not previously know how to tie three mushrooms with a rope, and now he does.

I take your point↓on that. As to why, could it be a failed experiment from the Shopkeeper?

Edited by ArcticFox789

Just had a thought:

When you get to the second cloud level, will there be a way to get back down, or would it be some sort of commitment thing? Because when the octocopter crashes, there won't be any way to get back down until you get the 3 pieces of the octocopter.

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

Just had a thought:

When you get to the second cloud level, will there be a way to get back down, or would it be some sort of commitment thing? Because when the octocopter crashes, there won't be any way to get back down until you get the 3 pieces of the octocopter.

It'd be a commitment thing, initially, because you only get to the 2nd level by accepting the "adventure mode" of the cloud realm. After you finish this "adventure mode" the idea is it'll become unlocked, but I'm not sure about the means of access.

Though, of course, most of the details of this adventure mode still need to be decided, and it'll not be a part of alpha.

• Like 1

It'd be a commitment thing, initially, because you only get to the 2nd level by accepting the "adventure mode" of the cloud realm. After you finish this "adventure mode" the idea is it'll become unlocked, but I'm not sure about the means of access.

Though, of course, most of the details of this adventure mode still need to be decided, and it'll not be a part of alpha.

As soon as Alpha is released, this needs to be the first thing we visit. There's plenty of good ideas in the private sub-forum, but so far, there's far too many details that need to be added, and the don't really form a corner story, (to be expected of course, but just thought I'd point it out). Also, when we tell the player that they can't come down, will we use the Shopkeeper or a pop-up notice like vanilla Adventure mode?

As soon as Alpha is released, this needs to be the first thing we visit. There's plenty of good ideas in the private sub-forum, but so far, there's far too many details that need to be added, and the don't really form a corner story, (to be expected of course, but just thought I'd point it out). Also, when we tell the player that they can't come down, will we use the Shopkeeper or a pop-up notice like vanilla Adventure mode?

I think we shouldn't show anything. The player has already accepted the quest, after all. But I won't do any spoilers here in discussing it further, we have the private subforum for that :razz:.

• Like 1

Question, instead of automatically having her, is it planned to have Winnie be unlocked instead by some means in the cloudrealms?

I'msorryifthisisthewrongplacetopostthisbecauseihadnoIDEAwheretopostitsoithoughttopostithereohgodthisisprobablythewrongplaceisntitohgodimterrible

Question, instead of automatically having her, is it planned to have Winnie be unlocked instead by some means in the cloudrealms?

I'msorryifthisisthewrongplacetopostthisbecauseihadnoIDEAwheretopostitsoithoughttopostithereohgodthisisprobablythewrongplaceisntitohgodimterrible

General Development or Open Discussion is the right place to post, but don't get worked up over it, we don't bite. :-)

There is a set piece planned, but I believe she will be unlocked automatically, for the purposes of Alpha and Beta testing. Once we release/get close to a release, the set piece will be implemented.

Edited by ArcticFox789
  • Like 1

Still very unsure about how to get around Github or the layout of the mod, so for the time being here's the gummy bear and gummy den for you to poke and prod. I'm still investigating how this stuff is organized.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zxsll2ze4madfkg/gummybear.zip

Awesome!

If you have any question, either with github or the layout of the mod, do ask. Especially with respect to the way the mod is structured, I think asking is the way to go. I'll be glad to explain it.

• Like 1

I'm currently trying to work on your wiki, is there anywhere I can access information about all of the Mobs, Items, Biomes, Etc. so I can add them? The slideshow appears to be outdated, and it's overwhelming to trying to scroll through the hundreds and hundreds of posts to try to get information.