General Development

debugman18

That's not bad at all. A forest of them would still look pretty nice at that size.

I liked them big. Felt like when I was a child watching those movies with the people going through the forests with the giant magical-icious candy trees. Made me feel, whatch'ya call it... wonderment and joy or something. I forgot emotions. Error. Error.

I think I'm actually a robot, sometimes. Probably because I'm crazy. Or because I'm a sugar addict. Either one.

But, yeah, I liked them big. If there was a mix of big and small, that'd be fantasmic.

That's not bad at all. A forest of them would still look pretty nice at that size.

If we're shrinking them, then we may also reduce the resolution of their atlas. It's currently 2.7MB big (both the one for the shrooms and the one for the caps), in .tex format. The actual zip gets pretty small, since most of it is transparency, but they waste quite a bit of video memory.

Do we have the scml for them? If so, we could do the shrinking at the Spriter level (if this is at all possible/easy to do), for better results.

But anyway, we should wait for the others' opinions first, of course.

But, yeah, I liked them big. If there was a mix of big and small, that'd be fantasmic.

Yeah, that's an interesting idea. We could make them grow, a lot :razz:.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

If we're shrinking them, then we may also reduce the resolution of their atlas. It's currently 2.7MB big (both the one for the shrooms and the one for the caps), in .tex format. The actual zip gets pretty small, since most of it is transparency, but they waste quite a bit of video memory.

Do we have the scml for them? If so, we could do the shrinking at the Spriter level (if this is at all possible/easy to do), for better results.

But anyway, we should wait for the others' opinions first, of course.

Yeah, that's an interesting idea. We could make them grow, a lot :razz:.

I believe we do have the scml files. So you're suggesting we first shrink them in Spriter, and then have them grow to silly sizes in-game? That would certainly be interesting. Also, while we're working on them, their caps animations aren't showing for me. Anyways, it's possibly to hide a symbol, right? If the jellyshroom animations are two parts (instead of just one big mushroom) then we could just hide the cap symbol when they're picked. (Or, since we'll be messing around with Spriter, make a picked animation.)

I believe we do have the scml files. So you're suggesting we first shrink them in Spriter, and then have them grow to silly sizes in-game? That would certainly be interesting. Also, while we're working on them, their caps animations aren't showing for me. Anyways, it's possibly to hide a symbol, right? If the jellyshroom animations are two parts (instead of just one big mushroom) then we could just hide the cap symbol when they're picked. (Or, since we'll be messing around with Spriter, make a picked animation.)

If we're going to keep them growing to large statures, I think we shouldn't shrink them in Spriter (or maybe we could, but just by 20% or so, using a scale larger than 1 in game for the large states; they're basically blobs of jelly after all, their textures are not finely detailed, so we don't need so much resolution). The ideal would be to have a picked animation, but hiding a symbol also works.

But I didn't get what you meant with "while we're working on them, their caps animations aren't showing for me".

If we're going to keep them growing to large statures, I think we shouldn't shrink them in Spriter (or maybe we could, but just by 20% or so, using a scale larger than 1 in game for the large states; they're basically blobs of jelly after all, their textures are not finely detailed, so we don't need so much resolution). The ideal would be to have a picked animation, but hiding a symbol also works.

But I didn't get what you meant with "while we're working on them, their caps animations aren't showing for me".

I meant that, while we're on the subject of the jellyshroom animations, I should mention that their picked (caps) animation don't show.

I meant that, while we're on the subject of the jellyshroom animations, I should mention that their picked (caps) animation don't show.

Oh, you're right. I'm getting this error, which is odd:

> c_give "jellycap_red"Could not find anim bank [OUTOFSPACE]
There must be something wrong with their bank names. The fact that the bank name coincides with their unpicked (shroom) counterparts may also be an issue. If you're handling their animations and it's easy to do so, try renaming the banks and builds to something more standard (preferably one bank for shrooms, one bank for caps and 3 builds for each variety of them, for 6 distinct build names in total).

Oh, you're right. I'm getting this error, which is odd:

> c_give "jellycap_red"Could not find anim bank [OUTOFSPACE]
There must be something wrong with their bank names. The fact that the bank name coincides with their unpicked (shroom) counterparts may also be an issue. If you're handling their animations and it's easy to do so, try renaming the banks and builds to something more standard (preferably one bank for shrooms, one bank for caps and 3 builds for each variety of them, for 6 distinct build names in total).

Fixed them, they weren't actually in that bank. I also implemented Millenium's owl and crystal house.

• Like 1

I've came across a question.

The goal is to release the mod in the final form and say it's done. Going over early alpha to beta et cetera. And we are working an everything at the same time although with priorities and or focuses.

We have a incredible amount of things we are adding. New realm, mobs craftables and I was thinking this has nearly the extent of an DLC (counting in everything we planned so far)

What do you think about adding it in bits which will consecutively build up to the final form like Klei did with the additional updates with trailer and everything. It would help getting things working properly without everything interfering with everything else.

This way we could focus more on certain stuff, people would get to play earlier because we will have a playabel fuselage which has everything it needed in it and not i.e. crafting tabs which have names and numbers but no text or art and the things needed aren't even in the content yet. (I know we are working on it as I write this and the hell I have so much fun doing it)

I was just thinking and would love to hear your points about this.

• Like 1

The goal is to release the mod in the final form and say it's done. Going over early alpha to beta et cetera. And we are working an everything at the same time although with priorities and or focuses.

We have a incredible amount of things we are adding. New realm, mobs craftables and I was thinking this has nearly the extent of an DLC (counting in everything we planned so far)

What do you think about adding it in bits which will consecutively build up to the final form like Klei did with the additional updates with trailer and everything. It would help getting things working properly without everything interfering with everything else.

This way we could focus more on certain stuff, people would get to play earlier because we will have a playabel fuselage which has everything it needed in it and not i.e. crafting tabs which have names and numbers but no text or art and the things needed aren't even in the content yet. (I know we are working on it as I write this and the hell I have so much fun doing it)

I quite like the idea of updates, this would mean we could schedule stuff together, do themed updates and stuff, but we wouldn't be able to accurately predict a date of release, as we aren't working on the mod full-time. So we might struggle to keep the update schedule interesting. But it's an idea I'd be interested in taking forwards.

I always pictured it like this, once we reach beta. And I don't expect beta to take long once alpha is released (to me, our alpha release is just a matter of getting broader testing so we can more easily squash critical bugs, take care of core balancing issues and then rebrand it as beta). We could in fact kep U&A as a perpetual beta. That's a thing.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

I always pictured it like this, once we reach beta. And I don't expect beta to take long once alpha is released (to me, our alpha release is just a matter of getting broader testing so we can more easily squash critical bugs, take care of core balancing issues and then rebrand it as beta). We could in fact kep U&A as a perpetual beta. That's a thing.

Yeah, this seems to be a good way to do it. I don't like the idea of timed releases much, since everybody seems to work slightly sporadically. Klei can get away with it because they work there. :p

To add what you said, alpha is definitely an experimental thing. I don't expect much of the current balance to stay the same once we start getting mass feedback.

So, on the topic of balance, we should probably discuss the light sources we plan on adding (since the day/night cycle will be in alpha, so should the new light sources to match it). That way we can put them on the todo and I can work on them. Also, the thunder/dragonblood logs could play a part for that too, perhaps by creating special fire types. (As well as an eventual use in alchemy and crafting.)

• Like 1

So, on the topic of balance, we should probably discuss the light sources we plan on adding (since the day/night cycle will be in alpha, so should the new light sources to match it). That way we can put them on the todo and I can work on them. Also, the thunder/dragonblood logs could play a part for that too, perhaps by creating special fire types. (As well as an eventual use in alchemy and crafting.)

You could always just make lightning rods get charged during static, if they don't already.

You could always just make lightning rods get charged during static, if they don't already.

They don't, but this is an interesting idea. I see no reason not to do it. But I don't feel lightning rods should be considered a primary light source, since their light radius is so small.

Can I have a link please to object descriptions and uses; so I can tweak some strings. Cheers.

We don't really have one; the strings file and the descriptions within is your best bet. Of course, if there's any that need to be clarified, you could ask, or you could submit them and we could let you know if any were misunderstood.

We don't really have one; the strings file and the descriptions within is your best bet. Of course, if there's any that need to be clarified, you could ask, or you could submit them and we could let you know if any were misunderstood.

I'll submit what I have when I'm ready; if something doesn't match then I'll change it. That seems easiest.

Cheers debugman18

In terms of raw data, our current rate of progress is looking pretty good, taking what it was before as a reference:

RAX6U9h.png

That's looking great so far! Glad to see we're making solid progress on the mod. On top of that, we have an active artist and active writers, so it's moving along at a very nice pace now.

That's looking great so far! Glad to see we're making solid progress on the mod. On top of that, we have an active artist and active writers, so it's moving along at a very nice pace now.

Wow, I forgot just how much activity dropped around here. :-)

Always nice to have a graph.

Also, @debugman18, you need to update the team in the FAQ, Lium & buttercup aren't in it. (Might be easier to link to the Roll Call thread).

Edited by ArcticFox789

Wow, I forgot just how much activity dropped around here. :-)

Always nice to have a graph.

Also, @debugman18, you need to update the team in the FAQ, Lium & buttercup aren't in it. (Might be easier to link to the Roll Call thread).

Yes, names need to be adjusted in a couple of places. I was going to do this once we get our next member.

Also, I'm just curious, no harm done, but why'd you fork the repo? :p

Yes, names need to be adjusted in a couple of places. I was going to do this once we get our next member.

Also, I'm just curious, no harm done, but why'd you fork the repo? :p

Speaking of adjustments, you should probably remove me from the banner credits. That's been annoying the heck out of me for weeks.