[Suggestions] Cauldron Of Ideas

TeoSS69

Welcome to the suggestions thread for the "Up And Away" mod!

Have an idea for a mob, item etc. that you think would be a good addition to the mob? Then this is the place for you!

Be sure to keep suggestions as short and detailed as possible, to prevent clogging and allow for better feedback on the idea. If a long post can't be helped then, please consider using spoiler tags. Also if it does, make sure to explain how your suggestion is affected by the Static mechanic (think Nightmare cycle from ruins).

Remember to be nice about others' ideas. If you don't agree with a suggestion please reply with reasons as to why it wouldn't fit the game instead of just writing "This idea sucks!". This will prevent a lot of unneeded hassle. Also be positive towards feedback on your suggestion. If your idea would fit with some tweaks from suggestions, then it's better than it not being implemented at all.

Also important : For the sake of people who want to subscribe to this thread, DON'T GO OFF-TOPIC. Keep the posts about the suggestions and feedback, not just reactions. If you like the idea but have nothing to add apart from "Really awesome!", simply use the "Like" button. Thank you!

Here's a presentation of things being worked on in the mod : https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1tdbs-30BDY8eGRQKWfLx-UIFSJZjYPIUBligpdjf_pU/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=5000#slide=id.p

And you can view the Roadmap(WIP) here : http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/27718-roadmap-objectives-and-worldviews-towards-alpha/

Suggestions so far :

Mobs:

- Mandarin Duck variant of the Golden Moose.
- Skytrap - Static fauna that only attacks player when near, similar to Tentacles.
- Wilton based living Boon. Killing it drops the item it carries. Can kite.
- Guard for Resurrection Crystals - Living Gnomes - As in the trinket.
- Quartz Crab - Reliable source of food (Similar to Rabbits) found on the world's edge.
- Cloud Sharks - As in living amongst the Clouds, not made of them.
- Grue, but for Fire - Snuffs out any Fires that have been lit.
- A Fox-like mob 
- Octoballon: Means of transportation.
- Hawk & Falcon - Attacks and kills other Birds and Frogs.
- Vultures & Ravens - They eat Food left on the floor.
- Insect hunting Birds - Eat Skyflies and Marshmallow Bees
- Roc - Carries Sheep off to it's nest.
- Chimera - The Guardian to the second level, like Spilagmites and the Ruins.
- Quetzalcoatl - Mythological monster for highest level
- Manta Jelly -Mix between jelly fish and manta ray. To fly in herds. Drops materials for armor, and a weapon
- Falmeingoes - changes into phoenix mob with static.
- Scarecrows and Cheshire Cat
- Cloud farms

Items:

- Crystal Lamps - Crafted with Crystals, Rope and Storm Ram Horns.
- New Setpiece - has a new turf, contains:
- Cauldron - For Cooking - Increased chance of Wet Goop. Faster, only requires 3 ingredients.
-  Eldritchest - Transmutes objects into a similar item. Small chance for Ash. Is reversible.
- Crystal Lamps - Craftable, connect to each other (activating one, activates them all).
- Thunder Tree and Datura?
- Cumulostone - Uses undecided
- Charged Cumulostone - Provides warmth, creates light
- Potions - Brewed at the Cauldron
- Crystal Pike - Tentacle Spike, damage halved while Static in effect, double during normal.
- Static Blade - Opposite of Crystal Pike, halved in normal, double in Static.
- Doors - Requires key in inventory to enter. Entering without Key, shock or bounce back.
- Mycological's Mushroom Hat
- "Bad" Mushrooms - For you and Raccoons. +Hunger, +Sanity, makes you see things that aren't really there.
- Resurrection Crystal - Similar to Touchstone, but gives Crystals upon activation too. Guarded by Gnomes and Owls.
- Size Staff - Shrinks and Grows objects, allowing you to carry around a Crock Pot, say.
- Cloud Gem - Used for the White Staff.
- Thunder Gem - Used for Black Staff.
- White Staff - Charges things to Static level. Useful for getting Ram Horns for example.
- Black Staff - Random effects on target, (grow, shrink, static etc.)
- Cloudy Vest - Sanity regen and + movement speed. Sanity drain during the Static
- Crystal Battle Axe - 75 damage. Slows you down.
- Cupid's Bow - Makes a mob follow you. (Cheap and short term or expensive and long-term?)
- Bean Bomb - Throwable Bombs.
- Chilled Pack - Backpack that keeps food cold.
- Discharger - Makes charged mobs revert to normal for the duration of that cycle.
- Everseer Staff - Reveals a chunk of unexplored map.
- Mag Net : Item used to move Ball Lightning (source of heat)
- Weather Machine : Randomly change static status.
- Cloud firepit fuelable only with cloud specific fuel.
- Talking harp
- Mushroom suit 
- Crystal suit
- Refiner : refines cloud materials into normal materials
- Venomous Whip : poisoned weapon that drops from the Manta Jellies

Biomes/Fauna:
​-Acid Biome - Dangerous, contains rare treasures like Crystals. Has respawning enemies, like the Skytrap (see "Mobs") (green bubbling clouds, noxious geisers, phosphorescent molds and spores, mosquito swarms)
-Duck Biome? - Contains Longbill, Duckraptor and Golden Geese. During the Static, Duckraptors are more frequent, aggressive, faster and hit harder. This makes Golden Eggs harder to get if they are only layed during static.
- Cloud-Storm Biome - Static dependant - Home of Sheep.  (black turbulent clouds, constant rain, ball lightning, frogs, jellyfish)
- Aurora Biome - Dark Clouds, Colourful Fog, Home of the Rainbowcoons. (iridescent dark clouds, bats, shadow beasts....)
- Cloud Interior Biome - Home to Longbills etc. Retextured Cave Walls, give illusion of being inside the Cloud.
- Sky Forest/Field Biome - Home to Owlpeople
- Ruined Castle - Home of the Bean Giant and the (rare) Beanclops.
- Humid Cloud Biome - Quartz Crabs and Cloud Sharks.
- Blizzard Biome - Insulation counts as half. Snow Slurpers territory. Rare treasure. white swirling clouds, snow, ice traps, winged yetis)
- Whirlwind Biome - Tornadoes capable of teleporting the player around spawn here. (grey spiky clouds, typhoons, eye boss - like a beholder...)
- Airship Biome - Airships fly around spawning the Clockwork creatures.
- Sunset/Rainbow biome (pink/red clouds, cold weather, Hesperides' gold nugget trees, Flareflies, Giant Butterflies)
- SandStorm biome (yellow clouds, dust devils, Shai-Hulud (in my dreams)...)
- Mushroom clouds - Radioactive neon green biome, filled with mushrooms, drains health
Vearth (for the 3rd heavenly level - elysian fields kind of place, green grass, exuberant megaflora, paradise in disguise)
- Cloud coral : drops coral that can be refined into rock
- Cloud Algae : give grass

Just saying. As this would be nice. When you suggest something, if and how your suggestion is effected by the static mechanic.

We should start coming up with things that become alive in the normal state. Or we'll end up with an exiting world with static and a dull normal one.

We should start coming up with things that become alive in the normal state. Or we'll end up with an exiting world with static and a dull normal one.

We should worry about not making the uncharged state overly dull. But it is meant as a calm period, where you can gather resources more freely and just wander, so it's fine if it's somewhat dull.

It should be more, indirectly hostile normal world, directly hostile static world. Like the rainbowcoon only exists during normal sections and goes into hiding during the static high.

What about a frankeinstein-like enemie, that would be ''dead'' on normal periods, but would bacome alive when the static starts. It would have the abilitie to, steal and use use hats like the splumonkey and would die when the static stops. It could look like franken pig or wilton. It would come with already equiped items, and would be able to kite as pigs or, a bit faster. When it dies it'll live his dead skeleton, and will  drop his equiped items, and would drop  items it has stolen. His skeleton will stay in place where he died and won't be able to be breaked.(This would be possible, right?)

We should worry about not making the uncharged state overly dull. But it is meant as a calm period, where you can gather resources more freely and just wander, so it's fine if it's somewhat dull.

Yeah, noticed this while playing in the ruins. If it weren't for monkeys and enemy Damaged Clockworks the low flux time would be boring as hell. But yeah, NOT too alive. Having one or two biomes that are dangerous even in normal state would be good.

What about a frankeinstein-like enemie, that would be ''dead'' on normal periods, but would bacome alive when the static starts. It would have the abilitie to, steal and use use hats like the splumonkey and would die when the static stops. It could look like franken pig or wilton. It would come with already equiped items, and would be able to kite as pigs or, a bit faster. When it dies it'll live his dead skeleton, and will  drop his equiped items, and would drop  items it has stolen. His skeleton will stay in place where he died and won't be able to be breaked.(This would be possible, right?)

Maybe call them Charred Skeletons to sell the fact they turn bad during static.

Just to make sure their behavior.

Fake Dead : Resurrection upon high static

Dead dead : Killed by player. Never resurrects again. (Boons are limited after all)

Yeah, noticed this while playing in the ruins. If it weren't for monkeys and enemy Damaged Clockworks the low flux time would be boring as hell. But yeah, NOT too alive. Having one or two biomes that are dangerous even in normal state would be good.

(I've suggested this on the other thread but i will suggest it here aswell)

What about a biome, where you could see some leaves and such on the turf, and there would be some plants that would look like tentecles but planty, they would be quite weaker than the normal tentacles, but would respawn, meaning that you would have a hard time when goin into this biome. And this could be the home of some of the other planty enemies.(im going to put some other ideas on this)

Just to make sure their behavior.

Fake Dead : Resurrection upon high static

Dead dead : Killed by player. Never resurrects again. (Boons are limited after all)

This could go just well, i was thinking that they would be immortal, but then there should be only few of them, so this is better than i tought :D

What about a biome, where you could see some leaves and such on the turf, and there would be some plants that would look like tentecles but planty, they would be quite weaker than the normal tentacles, but would respawn, meaning that you would have a hard time when goin into this biome. And this could be the home of some of the other planty enemies.(im going to put some other ideas on this)

Bean giant biome with beanlings and bean stalk tentacles.

Sort of sky swamp? Well, seems like a good place to put rare and useful things like crystals if you ask me...

And uh...not tentacle plants. Carnivorous ones!

Sort of sky swamp? Well, seems like a good place to put rare and useful things like crystals if you ask me...

Maybe a plant that looks like the turf, but once the player stands close to them they will attack?

Bean giant biome with beanlings and bean stalk tentacles.

Yep, they would be just fine with this place.

@debugman18 any plans on adding more than one character with the mod? Winnie is cool but in case the guys at Klei decide to use her later I should let you know that i already have a back up plan. 

I do want to add multiple characters, but I'm not entirely sure when that process will begin. I've done a skeleton prefab for Winnie, but it doesn't do anything special right now.

Please. Post it. I want to see.

Well I actually have to go sleep now so here's him in a nutshell :

Walter : The Engineer.

Has his own science machine (The Workbench) and can craft his own items.

Now these items all work on electricity thanks to Lightning Stones (sort of battery).

I wanted to release him as a standalone mod but delayed it as everyone was busy with Up And Away. Now since this mod has a lot of electricity in it i thought why put Walter in it too. Willette has draw him too, but can't find the pic right now.

Anw, @debugman18 it's ok. Just know that if anything doesn't go right with Winnie, Walter's there.

I do want to add multiple characters, but I'm not entirely sure when that process will begin. I've done a skeleton prefab for Winnie, but it doesn't do anything special right now.

If we do. One of y'all is writing their strings. I've been banging my head with all of these item descriptions. I have seriously been resisting the temptation to make her A MUTE. Most fun I've had all month.

I agree, something like the venus fly trap would be appropriate in my opinion. They could look intimidating with their 'teeth', and what if it behaved like the lure plant and devoured anything that ventured too close?

Here is a compilation for my suggestions :

The rainbow pelt : 

This thing is dropped by the rainbowcoon , he is used for make :

The Multi color hat:

He is used for make you invisible for some time.

Craft : 4x Silk 4x Rainbow Pelt.

Quotes : 

For the rainbow pelt 

human characters: Its so much colors!

WX : NATTURAL RAINBOW !

Multicolor Hat  

Wilson : It makes me desepear.

Willow : Strange colors , i like the red.

Wolfgang : Nu nu nu nu nu.... Wolfgang!

Wendy : Sad colors

WX-78 : IT CONFUSES THE NATTURAL SYSTEMS.

Wickerbottom : Reflects and Retracts the light .

Woodie : ?

Maxweel: ?

About the Traplant i suggested on the other page: Do you think it should despawn and respawn?I think so, because after some time the player could just put some twigs, or other item on the areas where they are and avoid it.

I would agree with that, yes, since it would make them more unpredictable. I think if they were implemented that they should consume anything within range, except structures of course.

The rainbow pelt : 

The Multi color hat:

Quotes : 

For the rainbow pelt 

Multicolor Hat  

I like the idea of the pelt being used to craft a hat, though I'm not sure about making invisibility as its effect.

Edit: What about adding a movement speed increase effect to the hat instead?

The rainbow pelt : 

The Multi color hat:

Quotes : 

For the rainbow pelt 

Multicolor Hat  

A Davy Crocket hat?

I agree, something like the venus fly trap would be appropriate in my opinion. They could look intimidating with their 'teeth', and what if it behaved like the lure plant and devoured anything that ventured too close?

I'm all for a Venus Flytrap. (Venus Skytrap?)

Though, the real trick would be making them not look too much like the Piranha Plants from Mario.

It would actually be pretty easy to animate, too, since it would only need one 'side' - always facing the screen... three-quarter view facing left, which mirrors to face the target... probably wouldn't need many animation states...

Idle and attack are all I can think of... depending on its behaviour, I suppose...

Archived