A Moderately Friendly Update Release Notes (Steam - September 10, 2013)

Bryce

• Developer

post-209228-0-06541800-1378847610_thumb.

A Moderately Friendly Update is now available on Steam. Chrome and Standalone coming soon!

Build 85009

Additions & Changes

Modding Support:

• New asset pipeline tools in alpha release!

• Animation importer for Spriter. Spriter is included with the Don’t Starve Mod Tools and the projects will be processed and imported into the game.

• Automatic atlas generator for .png images. No more fiddling around, now a .tex and .xml file will be created for each .png in your mod.

• Custom audio banks and events. Using FMOD designer you can create your own sound banks and run them in the game.

• These tools are still in development and should be considered experimental. Please give us feedback in the Pipeline Tools Thread.

• Basic tutorials and example projects are available in that thread as well!

In addition:

• Re-laid out the mods screen in anticipation of controller support.

Creatures

• New Damaged Knight

• New Nightmare Monkey

• Slurpers are now more aggressive.

• You can repair chess junk piles with gears to spawn a friendly chess mob.

• Sped up the descent of the depth dweller spiders.

• Splumonkeys no longer use the “follower” component while they harass you. This should make fighting back easier.

World

• Added a day/night cycle to the sinkholes (this is not synced with the upper world)

• Added a new pillar type into level 1 caves.

Items

Craftable

• Houndius Shootius - Protection from nasties.
  • Potted ferns - Make that base look good.
  • Deconstruction Staff - Save precious materials.
  • Thulecite Walls - A wall made of thulecite!
  • Thulecite Crown

Discoverable

• Items in the ruins will now sometimes drop “Thulecite Fragments” which can be refined into thulecite.
  • The ancient guardian will now drop a horn when killed.
  • Fishing in the wilds ponds will now produce an eel.
  • Changed the art for the monkey spawner.
  • Increased the number of uses the Pick/Axe has.

Bug Fixes:

• You can no longer fix walls with healing items.
  • Ice hounds will no longer spawn in great numbers from walrus camps.
  • Woodie will no longer slide around the world when in wherebeaver mode.
  • The Magiluminescence amulet no longer gives off light while on the ground.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when enemies destroyed structures.

Hotfix 1 ( 9/12/2013 Rev 85089)

Fixes:

•   Crash when taking the teleportato to the next survival world
  •   Crash when attacking a shadow creature
  •   Crash when continuing a save slot that is between worlds
  •   Map screen pan sensitivity 

I like all new content, except for the day and night cycle in the caves. It makes the caves even more easy and isn't neccecary at all. Have the reports in the testing discussion been adressed or at least been put attention on? There was an understandable lack of replies there, but it's a busy time for Klei. Just hope that there will be done something bout those bugs and they won't go unnoticed.

Furthermore, good update. A use for Deerclops' eyeball, huzah!

@FDru There are ponds in the ruins, fish in those to get eels :)

(Poster coming soon!)

A Moderately Friendly Update is now available on Steam. Chrome and Standalone coming soon!

Build 85009

Additions & Changes

Modding Support:

• New asset pipeline tools in alpha release!

• Animation importer for Spriter. Spriter is included with the Don’t Starve Mod Tools and the projects will be processed and imported into the game.

• Automatic atlas generator for .png images. No more fiddling around, now a .tex and .xml file will be created for each .png in your mod.

• Custom audio banks and events. Using FMOD designer you can create your own sound banks and run them in the game.

• These tools are still in development and should be considered experimental. Please give us feedback in the Pipeline Tools Thread.

• Basic tutorials and example projects are available in that thread as well!

In addition:

• Re-laid out the mods screen in anticipation of controller support.

Creatures

• New Damaged Knight

• New Nightmare Monkey

• Slurpers are now more aggressive.

• You can repair chess junk piles with gears to spawn a friendly chess mob.

• Sped up the descent of the depth dweller spiders.

• Splumonkeys no longer use the “follower” component while they harass you. This should make fighting back easier.

World

• Added a day/night cycle to the sinkholes (this is not synced with the upper world)

• Added a new pillar type into level 1 caves.

Items

Craftable

• Houndius Shootius - Protection from nasties.
  • Potted ferns - Make that base look good.
  • Deconstruction Staff - Save precious materials.
  • Thulecite Walls - A wall made of thulecite!
  • Thulecite Crown

Discoverable

• Items in the ruins will now sometimes drop “Thulecite Fragments” which can be refined into thulecite.
  • The ancient guardian will now drop a horn when killed.
  • Fishing in the wilds ponds will now produce an eel.
  • Changed the art for the monkey spawner.
  • Increased the number of uses the Pick/Axe has.

Bug Fixes:

• You can no longer fix walls with healing items.
  • Ice hounds will no longer spawn in great numbers from walrus camps.
  • Woodie will no longer slide around the world when in wherebeaver mode.
  • The Magiluminescence amulet no longer gives off light while on the ground.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when enemies destroyed structures.

Ok, nightlight seems to work but I had to make new world:/

Next things:

-this still is bugged, when you debug spawn custom prefab after you try quit game you get something like that:

lua_close took 0.02 seconds Manager - ORPHANED UNKNOWN RESOURCES:../mods/Ghosts and Graves/images/inventoryimages/ectoplasm.xml - 1Assert failure 'mTextureHandle == INVALID_RESOURCE_HANDLE' at ..\source\game\render\Atlas.cpp(25): Trace follows...

-any word on vanishing custom prefab textures, I reported that in mod section like 2 weeks ago.

• Developer

"Nightmare Knight" is misleading, and no mention of the Thulecite Crown. Was it removed from the build?

Good catch. Changed the name and added in the crown.

Sry but there is still that bug that makes WX78 loose all his upgrades when dying in the caves... i think thats a major bug..

The final plan for caves is to have death work as it does in the upper world. We haven't put dev time into this bug because it won't be an issue once cave death works properly. 

I like all new content, except for the day and night cycle in the caves. It makes the caves even more easy and isn't neccecary at all. Have the reports in the testing discussion been adressed or at least been put attention on? There was an understandable lack of replies there, but it's a busy time for Klei. Just hope that there will be done something bout those bugs and they won't go unnoticed.

Furthermore, good update. A use for Deerclops' eyeball, huzah!

@FDru There are ponds in the ruins, fish in those to get eels :-)

The day/night cycle was added to the caves in the hopes of making them feel less static. The only thing this was meant to effect was sinkholes. They no longer give light 100% of the time and, once we've synced the clocks across levels, they will give players some idea of what time it was outside. I haven't seen much discussion on this other than the initial bug that caused total brightness in the caves after sleeping, but that was fixed.

The day/night cycle was added to the caves in the hopes of making them feel less static. The only thing this was meant to effect was sinkholes. They no longer give light 100% of the time and, once we've synced the clocks across levels, they will give players some idea of what time it was outside. I haven't seen much discussion on this other than the initial bug that caused total brightness in the caves after sleeping, but that was fixed.

Ah, so it only effects the sinkholes now. That is excellent :) I haven't had the time to actually play the newest build so I was assuming the cycle would still be omni-present throughout the entire cave layer. Thanks for the reply though, like what has been said!

• Developer

Ah, @Bryce on more thing that i forgot : Will changes take effect in existing ruins or do we have to regen the cave?

Everything but the new pillars and the damaged knight should work without regen. Pillars won't appear at all and damaged knights will only spawn by repairing chess junk piles.

The sweet fruit of my perseverance :lemo:
Crown at my head at last. All hail King Wilson :love_heart:
Also the Minos-Clopper Houndius Shootius is a great addition at the entrance of my abode, though I regret killing the ancient guardian when I first saw it, now I have to regen my cave/ruin. Just had to ask. I have never regen underworlds before, will it still have the same Map or will it be replaced with a new one (totally different)?

Edit: Now I totally get why they changed the name, Google the word Clopper but be warned. Its very graphic and probably will never get off my mind now.

I dont wanna sound like a cry baby, but srsly, i think there is more importants things to do, bug fixes are priority, there is plenty ot stuff to do in the game to have fun. We have a really amazing and fresh game that is falling into the buggy zone because the devs want to keep rushing dlc and and new content instead of fixing what is already in the game.

I really want this game to be really BIG, its awesome, dont fail me please :(.

I dont wanna sound like a cry baby, but srsly, i think there is more importants things to do, bug fixes are priority, there is plenty ot stuff to do in the game to have fun. We have a really amazing and fresh game that is falling into the buggy zone because the devs want to keep rushing dlc and and new content instead of fixing what is already in the game.

The last two updates will be about bug fixes.

Work on the DLC hasn't started yet.

Have you checked the bug tracker forum? Every bug gets looked at. So unless you specify which bugs you want fixed and actually submit them yourself, you have no room to point fingers about priorities.

I dont think you understand what it means to have a development team. You have a few guys set to make new content and you have a few guys set to fix bugs. Thats how it is here and if you looked at the bug tracking forum you would see there is a separate team that handles it.

Buggy Zone is because this game isnt finished yet. When the DLC is done they will have wrapped up all the bugs that is inherent with the default game. The game isnt finished!

Archived