Sign in to follow this  
Lordfiscus

Sanity-The new mechanic-speculation thread.

Mysiaca    10

I don't think it's possible to do, but I'd like to see it warp the world.If you were going insane, things that are normal things would become creatures or fears from the dark recesses of your mind, right? But, they can't REALLY hurt you, unless you do something stupid. Like, if a gasoline can was casting shadows for an insane person, their 'logical' idea might be to set it on fire, but that would ultimately hurt them (or kill them, whichever) right? Something along the lines of self-harm without realizing it because of the way your sanity interprets the world would be really cool to me. And nothing static either, like trees always becoming the same monster or something, because after a while, the player would find that familiar, and know 'oh hey, that's just a tree. No worries.'

Sanity should have some things where you have some random effects , which is probably what the devs were planning to do in the first place , though different things will be more common the more insane you get.

Like the common suggestion of seasons , different things will happen the different times you are alive.

Depression could be on the start , because you doubt yourself surviving for a long time , this will probably be up to day 25-40.

Then there would be random things listed above that could have stages. sinse you will doubt yourself then slowly notice that that isn't the only issue you have.

Maxwell could pop up at times , tapping his foot (with a tapping sound) and at random times , his evil laugh , you'll never know when he will laugh , giving you a jump-scare when you don't hear his laugh for a long time.

You could also hear maxwell speaking in your mind , you will know because the instrument that is playing will say that it isn't you , and the text will be crooked , heres some of the things Maxwell could say :

'Having fun , Don't go insane now...'

'Make sure you have enough food , or have you lost it?'

'Are you sure you didn't leave your fire out open , someone could raise the fire on its own' (New Idea for insane affect)

'I am tampering with your mind , using your own powers against you' - Wilson Only

'Burn that tree and you may have a nasty suprise' - Willow Only

'You might be joining your sister some time Soon' - Wendy Only

'Strong , but you don't have the brains to figure out what is going on' - Wolfgang Only

'ERROR. YOU WILL BE ELIMINATED' - Wx78 Only

'Shhh , are you hearing what they're saying? they want to kill you' - Wickerbottom Only

'Try to hold on , your going for a bumpy ride!'

'Make sure your not dead , you might be...'

There will be some insane things happen As well , you will see random people (maybe even the other characters your not playing as)

Run by in the darkness , they will have some glow , but if you get close , they will whisk away like ghosts do.

Some of the characters could have some special people running around too...

Wendy could see Abigail when she was alive.

WX78 could see a female robot.

Wendy could see her teddy bear animated (League of Legends Reference?)

Wickerbottom could see her deceased husband , strolling along.

Wilson and Wolfgang don't have any pickable characteristics about things they know

Wilson COULD have that Moose in his picture seen walking around.

The world could see some sea creatures that could be developed in the future IF sea creatures and sailing is added.

A Giant Kraken could come bursting out , and maybe some of its tentacles , It could have a shark fin that makes it look like it cut some of the island (could half the islands to stop people from going on an island for a day or two (possible way to stop people camping?)

Mobs could become larger.

I could go on and on. But more Maxwell is needed.:wilsoncj:

Sliver    44

One of the few times that reviving a thread is actually legitimate, because of these new advancements.I absolutely love your ideas for sanity, and would love to see something like that. I want something more than just visual effects, I want it to mess with me and make the world make less sense. I want to marry these ideas, seriously.The only thing I would like to add is that the sanity meter should be invisible. Insane people don't know they're insane, and you should not be able to tell how mentally healthy you are. The sanity meter should be constantly going down not only because this world is crazy, but also because Wilson gets very little sleep.

[MENTION=1952]TylerTheDragon[/MENTION]the devs mentioned having maxwell appear more so you could be on the right track

They are including Maxwell in the game more , with the new maxwell statue , and the new art for maxwell , I think that having him in the game makes him showing up at the start make much more sense.

Iceberg    10

Just a quick thought - since major content updates seem to go with a new character related (ie. foot spoilage - a robot immune to spoiled food, new research system - a character that gets bonus from research etc.), which character do you think fits the releasing of the sanity system ? For some reason I think it is Wes (the mime .. cause in a way he's immune to voices xD) .. not that I like him that much, just following some kind of logic .. what do you think ? :3

Moonkis    153

Just a quick thought - since major content updates seem to go with a new character related (ie. foot spoilage - a robot immune to spoiled food, new research system - a character that gets bonus from research etc.), which character do you think fits the releasing of the sanity system ? For some reason I think it is Wes (the mime .. cause in a way he's immune to voices xD) .. not that I like him that much, just following some kind of logic .. what do you think ? :3

Wendy, because she is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to ****ed up already, she is like the most insane-sane person.

Spazmatic    1034

That is what I already thought aswell! :) Wes will be the sanity related unlock,probably will get insane slower.Might have to do with him not being capable of expressing (in)sanity easily because he's mute,and maybe deaf aswell?When you're a mime,no-one can hear you scream.
  • Like 1

buttercup    71

For insanity benefits, I'm still stuck on the idea of Mad Science. Like things you can only build when you're a certain amount of crazy. I mean there's a scientist and there's madness, mad scientists seem like the logical next step :)

stormfront    26

I doubt wes will be have a sanity based power

wouldn't it be better suited to Webber,Wilton, or Wortox who are all monsters themselves ergo less likely to go crazy seeing other monsters?

for those who lack knowage of wes or any of the mentioned charters I refer you to this page

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Unimplemented/Speculated_Characters

Edited by stormfront

Sliver    44

Webber's ability should be that spiders don't attack him, but he cannot equip anything (if you ask me). To base his ability on sanity would be a waste of Webber.Keep in mind that every character on that list was created to fill some sort of role, and since sanity is something the devs have been planning for a while, that means one of the characters was MADE for a sanity effect. I think it's Wallace.

Toaster Fu    103

Keep in mind that every character on that list was created to fill some sort of role, and since sanity is something the devs have been planning for a while, that means one of the characters was MADE for a sanity effect. I think it's Wallace.

Actually, the Devs said when they were making concept art for characters that it was just easier to do it all in one big batch. A lot of those characters won't make it into the game.

Snob    1272

[MENTION=4449]Sliver[/MENTION] well Wallace does already seem insane

He seems more excited or compelled then insane, I mean, he looks happy.

beachjustice    11

I'd love to see them play with the visuals when you start going loco. Like Amnesia.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. Visual screen effects obviously aren't beyond the devs either with the red flash for taking damage. I'm really looking forward to sanity's implementation.

SkyyHacylon    10

OHMIGOD, I was just thinking, with sanity/insanity.... how about crafting a new hat...?Of course, it has to be the.... TINFOIL HAT! You can only craft/wear it with very low sanity!j/k of course. I thought it was funny enough to share though =]

stormfront    26

OHMIGOD, I was just thinking, with sanity/insanity.... how about crafting a new hat...?Of course, it has to be the.... TINFOIL HAT! You can only craft/wear it with very low sanity!j/k of course. I thought it was funny enough to share though =]

you sir/madam have earned some reputation

Zezarict    14

mmm, all of those suggestions sound very,v ery good to me, I hope the developers do include this ^_^But yes visual effects would be very nice too

Spazmatic    1034

Rep for you good Sir!

Many thanks :D!Also,I wonder if walls will have any use against sanity related creatures(when they're just shadows,IF they could already attack while not entirely a solid entity,or otherwise hinder you...Have some speculation