Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

KeeBLeeC

Luxury Axe - Whats The Point Of This Tool?

KeeBLeeC    0

Luxury axe - whats the point of this tool? (beside STYLE)

I cant see the point to build it...really!  I mean all golden tools (axe, pickaxe, shovel) have about 4 times stronger durability and costs only 2 times more twigs - except axe which is 4 times more expensive in twigs. I mean its the only reason to build these in winter if you are saving your twigs more then gold. Then spend gold for pickaxe or shovel is worthy. Not that with axe. I would rather save gold cause flints dont need saving, they are almost everywhere and fullfilling my pocket every game. I think there should be more motivation and tactic for players to build the golden axe then "hey u have shiny axe and now u can be filled even more with flints!" This makes it pretty useless unbalanced item in the game while the situation you have gold and no flints its pretty ultra rare. Pitty. Its shiny! I suggest to lower the twigs cost of luxury axe or increase the twigs cost of normal axe. :encouragement: Current situation dont make sense.

jangofet    45

Well, if you have a pig king, then you will probably always build one. It takes a long time to finish one of those as well. I think it's pretty balanced.

simplex    2,608

The main purpose for them was that flint used to be non-renewable.

But anyway, once you find a pig king you get an endless supply of gold, so a recipe costing gold is basically the same as it not costing anything at all.

Craig_Perry    764

golden tools are a godsend over 3 stacks of gold just sitting there being shiny and almost useless otherwise (although gold isn't actually shiny or durable as tools but oh well!)

Smidge204    10

Saving twigs?

I use twigs as firepit fuel. If you're smart and relocated a bunch of saplings to a convenient area and pick them whenever you get a chance you'll have twigs for miles.

Plus, chop for chop, luxury axes use fewer twigs than flint ones (actually no, I just checked and it's 1:1 - still, you would have more time to find more twigs)... so if twigs are in short supply then you still want the luxury version.

=Smidge=

J20hawkz    768

Basically here is the reason. Before flint used to be a non renewable resource so we relied on fattening up the pig king to get a constant supply of gold. Now with earthquakes flint is no longer in short supply. However because of the longer use of the luxury items we stick to using them. They also look better. I just became used to the luxury items as my main tools and using flint to make the odd spear. Honestly it's all preference.

KeeBLeeC    0

Yeah I can see the point that its at same twigs price compare to durability at all. But in some location in winter you could running out of twigs (which u need to keep refreshing traps for meat to dont starve) Imagine u have last 5 twigs, all in closest miles around are already harvest. What would u do? Build one shiny gold axe? No. Or it would be the last thing u do. I prefer to build 2 traps for rabit which are going to broke soon and build one standard axe. And in addition I save the gold for more valuable gold pickaxe and other basement tools. Btw. I dont even need to harvest flints from earthquakes in caves - its everywhere on the ground. And if I am full of slots, many times I left gold nugets on basement couse I dont need them so much as flits because as J20hawkz said - u need it for spear - and its really important  - sometimes on a run you can broke 2-4 during one day. Pitty there is no gold spear. (And have flint for spear and other tools are more important for me then have gold for golden axe - I can do 4 flint axes, I dont care about that craft time) But I like the golden pickaxe, its good deal ;) I was just wondering if its a bug, mistake or purpose that the golden axe has really no value besides saving you flints (that are like trash everywhere on the world) and save u 3 sec craft time ^^ Not a deal for me.

zazori    79

Yeah I can see the point that its at same twigs price compare to durability at all. But in some location in winter you could running out of twigs (which u need to keep refreshing traps for meat to dont starve) Imagine u have last 5 twigs, all in closest miles around are already harvest. What would u do? Build one shiny gold axe? No. Or it would be the last thing u do. I prefer to build 2 traps for rabit which are going to broke soon and build one standard axe. And in addition I save the gold for more valuable gold pickaxe and other basement tools. Btw. I dont even need to harvest flints from earthquakes in caves - its everywhere on the ground. And if I am full of slots, many times I left gold nugets on basement couse I dont need them so much as flits because as J20hawkz said - u need it for spear - and its really important  - sometimes on a run you can broke 2-4 during one day. Pitty there is no gold spear. (And have flint for spear and other tools are more important for me then have gold for golden axe - I can do 4 flint axes, I dont care about that craft time) But I like the golden pickaxe, its good deal ;) I was just wondering if its a bug, mistake or purpose that the golden axe has really no value besides saving you flints (that are like trash everywhere on the world) and save u 3 sec craft time ^^ Not a deal for me.

Easier problem to solve ever:stock twigs during summer and stop using rabbit holes as a food source.

The use of the golden axe is very,very simple.Craft it if you're stockpiling gold,wich becomes more common than flint later on.

1Nicolino    14

What if people don't use rabbits as food? What if they hoard twigs before winter and store it?

Don't give specific examples to bring down a tool. That's wrong decisions on your part, not the tool being useless.

For instance i can just go and say that i use dark swords and tentacle spikes as weapons and feed all the flint to slurtles to get slime. Does that mean the spear is worthless? 

Valid point.

for use any argument , you need first to can use him in all times , like a scientific method. 

KeeBLeeC    0

Yeah I was expected that kind of "argument" like "store twigs before winter noob" and then suddenly somehow happened that the flint will be more valuable then gold. Epic argument! Me personaly did about 40-60 twigs before winter comes, (yeah Im very twig addicted) but still its a different story. The core of this topic is the question about this tool "How could be 4 flints more valuable then 2 gold nugets that u would like to saved them?" I still cant see the way. Even if u find the pig king, flints will be still easier to get (even enought to feed slurtles) then gold nugets. And I still can see it more effective and cheaper to build standard axe (To prevent that reply: I could have 40 gold nugets in my inventory and I WONT build luxury axe. Rather used them for settle more basements, and gold pickaxe. Its simply mathematic. And its not about to "not being able to get the right resources". Its about strategy when u will waste your more valueable things, that slow your progress down and u will spent more time to collecting them back.) So still noone could give me reasonable arguments for build gold axe. Only good reason for my is build it once, when I have plenty of gold nugets to get away the annoying bulb that notify me i CAN build it when i DONT WANT to. I like to keep my build menu clear and nicy. So I build it once, used it. Then never build it.

Peace to fellow scientists ;)

zazori    79

The whole point of this argument is that some of us think that flint is more valuable than gold and you think that twigs are more valuable than gold.All of those items have a very low value in comparation to things like nighmare fuel or marble.

The obvious solution to this problem is nerf the flint axe so it goes down at the same rate as the flint tools.

KeeBLeeC    0

First of all : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragraph

You do realize that at noob level it's easier to get gold than it's easier to get flint right?

You do realize that at expert level most tools aren't even needed anymore right?

You do realize that this whole thread apparently is just you saying a tool is useless only because YOU don't use it yourself right?

Ok

1) Sorry I had over 100 hours in Dont Starve and maybe I just a lucky noob, cause I had NEVER ever problem to diving in flints in many different worlds. Not that much gold compare to flints. So nope, I dont realize this reality. When u mining gold - u got much more flints on the way. When u walking - u got flints. When u dive in cave - u got flints.

2) Truth. I really need only a few tools to survive and have fun. And on some point I create only gold tools when I need - except spear (which is also not that great on late game and pretty compensative) and the axe (thats why I create this topic, cause u need choping through whole game and it seems pretty stupid when u have all golden tools, mighty weapons and still using normal cheap axe which is first item u ever created in the game and there is no superior item to it = understand the price worthy)

3) Yeah I realised that and I dont want to go it this way. I expected some mathematic argument for golden axe. Now I can see I wont find it here. You can lock this tread. Solved for me

The whole point of this argument is that some of us think that flint is more valuable than gold and you think that twigs are more valuable than gold.All of those items have a very low value in comparation to things like nighmare fuel or marble.

The obvious solution to this problem is nerf the flint axe so it goes down at the same rate as the flint tools.

The first part is true, but I can understand different players has different style, different generated world and preferences. I wanted a constructive discusion, not an argument. 

Btw. I never said I think twigs are more valuable that gold. I just compared twigs prices as a same on both items (the only item from golden tools that has this situation). Then we are discuting only about flints and gold.

Thank you all for your comments to my topic even if it looked stupid for you. I think we can end it. I dont feel that new reasons for or against these 2 items will be said.

1Nicolino    14

3) Yeah I realised that and I dont want to go it this way. I expected some mathematic argument for golden axe. Now I can see I wont find it here. You can lock this tread. Solved for me

OK , lets see about mathematic :

Axe of Flint have the cust of : one flint , one twigs.

Axe of Gold have the cust of : two gold , four twigs.

Axe of Flint have the durabilite of : 100 uses

Axe of Gold have the durabilite of : 400 uses

on logic : you need 4 flint axes ( 4 twigs , 4 flints ) to make the same thing of the gold axe , on logic , you lose 2 more resources to make the same thing , and flint is no-renoable (only in the caves regen )

KeeBLeeC    0

on logic : you need 4 flint axes ( 4 twigs , 4 flints ) to make the same thing of the gold axe , on logic , you lose 2 more resources to make the same thing , and flint is no-renoable (only in the caves regen )

Finaly anyone got my math. But if these caves are here its making flints pretty more renovable then the gold nugets. (At least I didnt find yet another way besides mining and pig king - which is pretty wealthy income, but still not that great as a flint have).

Still it depends a bit on your current resources situation if you are wanna saving 4 flints or 2 gold. According to my experience I would prefer to save gold.

When it comes to pickaxe  vs golden pickaxe the situation is much different. You are choosing to save 4twigs + 8flints or 2 gold. You would be idiot to waste your resources by the first choice. Hell there is nothing to think about! Spend the gold! Its worthy the price!

The same is with golden shovel and pitchwork. So the golden luxury axe seems to be compare to others really wastign luxury.

All this topic cound be said in 2 questions and answers:

1) Is 2 gold more for you then 4 twigs+8flits? I said no. Dont think about it. Its a good investition.

2) Is 2 gold more for you then 4 flints? I said Nah, never. Flints are almost like a trash all around the world. Im happy to save it for better invest and pay with flints. 

I can understand all of u here would answer different on second question but still it seems pretty weird compare to first math.

This simple math brings me to suggestion to increase the price of standard axe or lover the golden one to be more compare to other tools investment. No less, no more. Dont even let players think about it like me!! Just build the superior worthy golden tool because why the hell not when its worthy?

1Nicolino    14

Finaly anyone got my math. But if these caves are here its making flints pretty more renovable then the gold nugets. (At least I didnt find yet another way besides mining and pig king - which is pretty wealthy income, but still not that great as a flint have).

Still it depends a bit on your current resources situation if you are wanna saving 4 flints or 2 gold. According to my experience I would prefer to save gold.

When it comes to pickaxe  vs golden pickaxe the situation is much different. You are choosing to save 4twigs + 8flints or 2 gold. You would be idiot to waste your resources by the first choice. Hell there is nothing to think about! Spend the gold! Its worthy the price!

The same is with golden shovel and pitchwork. So the golden luxury axe seems to be compare to others really wastign luxury.

All this topic cound be said in 2 questions and answers:

1) Is 2 gold more for you then 4 twigs+8flits? I said no. Dont think about it. Its a good investition.

2) Is 2 gold more for you then 4 flints? I said Nah, never. Flints are almost like a trash all around the world. Im happy to save it for better invest and pay with flints. 

I can understand all of u here would answer different on second question but still it seems pretty weird compare to first math.

This simple math brings me to suggestion to increase the price of standard axe or lover the golden one to be more compare to other tools investment. No less, no more. Dont even let players think about it like me!! Just build the superior worthy golden tool because why the hell not when its worthy?

1 ) The little cust of the axe is just to make him most easy on the first play, and the cust of the sticks is just to make it equivalent.

2 ) You say flint is trash ?? WTF ? Past the 26 day ... playing on the winter i need flints to : make a flint pickaxe to make the hate stone , on me 6 islands with camps i don't can pick  more flint , he simple desepear. 

KeeBLeeC    0

1 ) The little cust of the axe is just to make him most easy on the first play, and the cust of the sticks is just to make it equivalent.

Its just too cheap. Why? Who the hell is not able to find 2 flints and 2 twigs on a 1st day? When you are not able to find 2 flints, u probably not able to find even one. Well, then there is a torch for u letting u survive your first night without a flint. Not even a problem on a first play. If even this is a problem, then u will die and surely learn from it for the next game.

2 ) You say flint is trash ?? WTF ? Past the 26 day ... playing on the winter i need flints to : make a flint pickaxe to make the hate stone , on me 6 islands with camps i don't can pick  more flint , he simple desepear. 

Maybe we are playing different game each other as I notice from above how precious the flints are for all of you. They are EVERYWHERE all over the world on EVERY type of ground, in EVERY stone lump u mining.

Usually me personaly about day 26 I have something about 40-60 flints, leaving them on the ground lying sticked on a way cause I need more space in my inventory. About day 70 I have 3-5 middle basement with chests and in 2-3 of them are flints stacked on 40 counts, left cause I have another in my inventory (I dont need to walk with more then 80 flints in my inventory.. Bah ^^)

For me personaly is the worse problem find twigs on winter, because they wont renew and u need them for almost anything u build and Im building a lot. And this force me to use the normal super-cheap axe through whole game (even in days 200+) and started this topic, because I honestly think that the golden axe is currently NOT worth the price in the game and I can see it as shame.

jack52    5

I craft the Golden Axe. Why? Just beacuse i save items slots, i just craft one golden axe and left the gold and twigs in my camp. 

Blewcheese    878

Well, when you get around day 150-200+, you don't need either resource. Why not carry a golden axe, if only to say "I have a golden axe, game logic." That's what I normally do.