Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

TheDanaAddams

[Tutorial] The Artist's Guide To Character/item Modding

iiiyyylll    0

I need help ive followed your guide exactly but everytime i load up my save or create a new save with my character it just crashes.

Cheerio    2,512

There should be a log file in your documents/klei folder called log.txt which should tell you what's going on.

Keith90    10

I just wanted to say thank you. I followed this tutorial and managed to get character in the game. 

Now that step one is done, I can go further in by adding in my own dialogue, items and even change the settings/surroundings. There's so much to do with this game.

I plan to do a total conversion mod, although not quite sure what it will be exactly. I can't wait to keep doing more. :grin:

Edit: Quickly changed something in game. This will probably send me to hell though. :(

w2d2Gj1.png

TheDanaAddams    574

A headband like that, you should check out the code for the garland, and make the tweak so it doesn't swap the player's head to the cut-off "hat wearing" state.

I know it's only a small change, but can't quite recall what it is...

Keith90    10

When I make my own full mod, I won't have to worry about that but it never hurts to give it a shot. One thing I want to do is increase attack or health with hats or any item.

Going through your Link mod is educational and inspiring. :) There needs to be a full Zelda mod. :D

Malacath    121

Well, when I've added all the things I want to, it pretty much will be a full Zelda mod. ^^;

Does that mean you will add bosses? It would be so awesome to fight Goma in a dark cavern. Would immediately bring me back to my childhood, even the thought does that already ^^

TheDanaAddams    574

Does that mean you will add bosses? It would be so awesome to fight Goma in a dark cavern. Would immediately bring me back to my childhood, even the thought does that already ^^

Actually, yes, I do want to add bosses to the dungeons.

Just one of the many reasons why the dungeons are kind of last on the to-do list. ^^;

There's a lot of work involved in creating art and animation for a number of boss creatures. And boss creatures usually need matching subordinates, right?

Goodness me, I do make things hard for myself. xD

Malacath    121

Actually, yes, I do want to add bosses to the dungeons.

Just one of the many reasons why the dungeons are kind of last on the to-do list. ^^;

There's a lot of work involved in creating art and animation for a number of boss creatures. And boss creatures usually need matching subordinates, right?

Goodness me, I do make things hard for myself. xD

I'd love to help you implement brains and stategraphs if you still need someone for that. Eveb if you already have someone, there'll be a lot of these ; P

So when it comes so far and you need help then don't forget me ^^

KiddyCorky    22

Hello. I'am kinda new to modding. So I was wondering to ask if there was a way figured out on how to make Maxwell say different things when you first spawn with that I also wish to know if it can effect only a specific (custom) character. Something different instead of the regular "Say pal, you don't look so good." line.

Also is there some sort of effect file for Sanity. I want to make a custom character gain Sanity when digging up graves.

TheDanaAddams    574

I'd imagine it's as simple as overriding a string, somewhere. If you check out the guides and tutorials page, there's a guide to using Sublime, which can search through a whole directory of files...

Search for the words from Maxwell's little speech, and you should find the file.

I don't know exactly how you'd do it, but it's probably something as simple as if player = yourcustomcharacter then MaxwellPepTalk = "Words go here."

I don't exactly know how to set up a Sanity delta - I guess just look at the files, figure out what part of the code tells it to go down, and then make it go up instead.

KiddyCorky    22

Yeah I'am stumped now. I've done several things.

STRINGS.MAXWELL_QUEST_SURVIVE.charactername(with and without this line)[1] = [[say pal, you don't look so...]]
STRINGS.MAXWELL_QUEST_SURVIVE.charactername(with and without this line)[2] = [[Oh, it's you again. Nevermind.]]

and

STRINGS.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.charactername(with and without this line)

But it always shows the me the whole "attempt to index field 'MAXWELL_QUEST_SURVIVE' (nil value)" thing.

Cheerio    2,512

Yeah I'am stumped now. I've done several things.

STRINGS.MAXWELL_QUEST_SURVIVE.charactername(with and without this line)[1] = [[say pal, you don't look so...]]

STRINGS.MAXWELL_QUEST_SURVIVE.charactername(with and without this line)[2] = [[Oh, it's you again. Nevermind.]]

and

STRINGS.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.charactername(with and without this line)

But it always shows the me the whole "attempt to index field 'MAXWELL_QUEST_SURVIVE' (nil value)" thing.

You can change what he says by putting this in your modmain.lua.

GLOBAL.STRINGS.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.ONE = "Hi friend!"

Malacath    121

STRINGS.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.ONE = "Hi friend!"

In modmain you'll want to use GLOBAL.STRINGS

EDIT: Can mods/devs actually edit there posts without it being visible? Cause now it looks as if I changed Cheerios post in my quote xD

KiddyCorky    22

GLOBAL.STRINGS.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.ONE = "Hi friend!"

Oh awesome. Thanks I'll make sure to try this out.

KiddyCorky    22

Okay nevermind. *sigh* I wanted to make Maxwell say the lines specifically to the custom character. Not all characters he meets. Anyway I can do that?

seronis    130

Hook into a prefab init for the character in question and inside that handler set the strings you want changed

Malacath    121

Or in the case of a custom character just write the line of code that changes the speech in the custom fn for that character.

Malacath    121

Uhhhh... any examples you could give me?

You should mention/quote the person you talk to. What do you want to know? For a custom character or for an existing one?

KiddyCorky    22

You should mention/quote the person you talk to. What do you want to know? For a custom character or for an existing one?

Uhh... yeah. I wanted to mean both of you guys. Well I tried putting the STRINGS.CHARACTERS.customcharactername.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.ONE line inside the custom characters prefab but that didn't work.

I just barely understand what should I write that's all. So some sort of example of what should I write inside the custom characters prefab file would be nice. All I understood was that I should write something under the local fn = function (insta) lines right? If not then please provide a file or something.

Malacath    121

Uhh... yeah. I wanted to mean both of you guys. Well I tried putting the STRINGS.CHARACTERS.customcharactername.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.ONE line inside the custom characters prefab but that didn't work.

I just barely understand what should I write that's all. So some sort of example of what should I write inside the custom characters prefab file would be nice. All I understood was that I should write something under the local fn = function (insta) lines right? If not then please provide a file or something.

Yes, that function is the local fn I was talking about earlier. Everything you write in there will only be run when you play that character. In there you can write

STRINGS.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.ONE = "Hi friend!"

as Cheerio pointed out. Nothing more should be needed.