[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

Wow, i'm in awe of the scope of this project. I absolutely love it.Can't wait to get my hands dirty designing all the little things that will be needed, aswell as the BIG monstruous things! ;)Feel free to PM me with any requests Willette can't work on!

Well, we'd love for you to be one of the "lead artists" of the project! I think Willette will just lend a hand on the art, not properly be a part of the team. 

I was thinking of the sheep using the "teen to mature" beefalo animation, in which they get bigger and have a fur explosion, to change into the bigger intimidating storm rams.

That may work. I actually think the teen Beefalo build would fit better into a sheep than the adult one. 

I'm not sure how @simplex feels about developmental builds. Personally, I don't have an issue with people using them, so long as they go into it understanding what they're getting into. (An unfinished and unpolished experience).

I like the idea of releasing alpha and beta builds, once we get there (which will probably take a while). Development builds per se should be passed internally. Though I don't see the point in "hiding" them (nor in "announcing" them). The thread itself can be used for it, and if someone sees it, wants to get it and try it out, so be it, as long as they understand it's a development build.But of course, the more people knowing how to do a git pull the better. Ideally, the whole team would get up to date through git pulls and we wouldn't need development builds at all, but I get that there's a (small) technical barrier. 

I don't expect any bugs on @simplex's end

Don't jinx me! :grin: 

I had a trainride and just scribbled some giant. Only for fun but I will read up and take part in this, too. If you allow me. ^^

Allow you? It's great to see you take part in it! :grin:And @debugman18, I saw you're listing Willette as a "team member" in the front page. Is she really involved at that point? I'm not sure she'd like her name there, in fact (perhaps "with contributions from Willette" would be more appropriate).

Well, we'd love for you to be one of the "lead artists" of the project! I think Willette will just lend a hand on the art, not properly be a part of the team. That may work. I actually think the teen Beefalo build would fit better into a sheep than the adult one. I like the idea of releasing alpha and beta builds, once we get there (which will probably take a while). Development builds per se should be passed internally. Though I don't see the point in "hiding" them (nor in "announcing" them). The thread itself can be used for it, and if someone sees it, wants to get it and try it out, so be it, as long as they understand it's a development build.But of course, the more people knowing how to do a git pull the better. Ideally, the whole team would get up to date through git pulls and we wouldn't need development builds at all, but I get that there's a (small) technical barrier. Don't jinx me! :grin: Allow you? It's great to see you take part in it! :grin:And @debugman18, I saw you're listing Willette as a "team member" in the front page. Is she really involved at that point? I'm not sure she'd like her name there, in fact (perhaps "with contributions from Willette" would be more appropriate).

I removed her name from the OP, for now. She isn't involved currently (having only done one small sketch) but if she contributes more , we'll see where it goes.

If the rest of the team could create their git accounts, I can give them the ability to edit the repo. That would be ideal for speeches, strings, art, and pretty much everything.

So, I'm working on the shopkeeper, and I'm coming across a very small issue. I've made him activatable (as opposed to talkable) because the talkable component is a little confusing to use properly. (He does have the maxwelltalker, though, which is wonderful.) I've tried a few different things, but so far I haven't been able to change the string from "Activate Shopkeeper" to "Talk to Shopkeeper".

I tried using the ActionStringOverride function with no success. Any ideas?

I tried using the ActionStringOverride function with no success. Any ideas?

ActionStringOverride needs to be done at the player entity level (through AddSimPostInit() or similar).I have an example of it here. Or you can just leave it to me, and I'll push it later today.

ActionStringOverride needs to be done at the player entity level (through AddSimPostInit() or similar).I have an example of it here. Or you can just leave it to me, and I'll push it later today.

That's the one I tried. :razz:

I'll let you do that, and in the meanwhile I'll work on the beefalo trading sequence.

Edited by debugman18

That's the one I tried. :razz: I'll let you do that, and in the meanwhile I'll work on the beefalo trading sequence.

Ok, I'll do that right now. I have to leave in a moment, but this shouldn't take long.EDIT: done Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

Nice. I just finished the beefalo trading sequence as well, just making some small improvements to it.

I removed the shortcuts to TEXCreator and BuildRenamer that were inside the anim folder and added Windows shortcuts to .gitignore. You can recreate the links at your local clone without worrying about them going into the repo, now.

I removed the shortcuts to TEXCreator and BuildRenamer that were inside the anim folder and added Windows shortcuts to .gitignore. You can recreate the links at your local clone without worrying about them going into the repo, now.

I saw that in the commits. I hadn't gotten around to adding the non-mod files to that ignore list. I keep those shortcuts there because all of the files create so much clutter. Much cleaner to see only two icons instead of a bunch of icons. :razz:

This sounds like the equivalent to the Aether for DS.

I'll take that as a compliment!

Looking forward to it, seems like awesome thing!.

I'm glad! I can't wait to share it in its finished state.

Edited by debugman18

Well, the shopkeeper is working (mostly) properly. There's a few things with strings I need to sort out, but other than that he works! I set him up to only need one beefalo, but we can change that later if we need to. (I had issues removing multiple beefalos.)

Not just any beefalo will do, they have to be following you.

Posted Image

@lifemare

Well currently, we don't even have much we need textures for. But we're probably in need of a better beanstalk atlas, and an image for the magic beans, if you're up to that.

I've got my hands a little full at the moment...

Posted Image

...full of magic beans!!!

I'll get on that in a couple of days!

Happy to be of assistance ^-^

Well, we'd love for you to be one of the "lead artists" of the project! I think Willette will just lend a hand on the art, not properly be a part of the team.

Posted Image

Lee... Leeed Arteeest?!?

Edited by lifemare

I've got my hands a little full at the moment...

...full of magic beans!!!

I'll get on that in a couple of days!

Happy to be of assistance ^-^

Lee... Leeed Arteeest?!?

No, no, he said "lead" artist. You have to make pencil sculptures.

But on a more serious note, I'd be happy to have you on board as a lead artist.

On a (code) progress related note:

I'm currently fooling around with setpeices and world generation. We're certainly going to have work ahead of us, but it could be worse. Everything we need for this mod is available to us. We can change the world prefabs, we can change the setpeices of the world, and we can make biomes (sort of).

Specifically, I'm working on allowing you to climb back down after you've climbed the beanstalk.

As for the shopkeeper, did we ever decide how we wanted him to appear in the world? Since I'm toying with setpeices right now, it seems like a question I should be asking.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

No, no, he said "lead" artist. You have to make pencil sculptures.

But on a more serious note, I'd be happy to have you on board as a lead artist.

On a (code) progress related note:

I'm currently fooling around with setpeices and world generation. We're certainly going to have work ahead of us, but it could be worse. Everything we need for this mod is available to us. We can change the world prefabs, we can change the setpeices of the world, and we can make biomes (sort of).

Specifically, I'm working on allowing you to climb back down after you've climbed the beanstalk.

As for the shopkeeper, did we ever decide how we wanted him to appear in the world? Since I'm toying with setpeices right now, it seems like a question I should be asking.

I did some mock ups of his "shop" a few pages back. Still toying with the design but the basics are there.

I worked on the beanstalk physics (the art needs a little tweaking to make it wider in the camera-facing direction, though, since cylinder is the best shape available but it still doesn't really fit into the art) and made its loot drop from the sky.EDIT: Gah! I made a typo in a commit message. Now it'll forever haunt me. Who spells "innacurate"?

Edited by simplex

Did a bunch of work on the shopkeeper. I think he's basically "done", except for some tweaks here and there.EDIT

@debugman18, to negotiate the Beefalos, click on the Shopkeeper (I thought it better to attach it to the activatable component). Edited by simplex

Did a bunch of work on the shopkeeper. I think he's basically "done", except for some tweaks here and there.EDIT

@debugman18, to negotiate the Beefalos, click on the Shopkeeper (I thought it better to attach it to the activatable component).

Attaching it to OnActivate makes sense. I had fun summoning magic beans with the beefalo horn for a short while, though. :p

So I've got a couple of things to say about the world above. Currently, it works like a hybrid between adventure mode and caves. What that means, is that you can climb it, take things from the world, and bring those things back. You cannot, however, bring followers back. Once you leave, though, that world is gone. You can climb the beanstalk again to generate a new world, though, and repeat the process. One of the player benefits to this is that if you die in the world above, you'll respawn near the beanstalk.

The problem with keeping the world above persistent seems to be that it's being generated as an adventure world. @Ipsquiggle do you have any suggestions for keeping an adventure mode world persistent?

@lifemare

Well currently, we don't even have much we need textures for. But we're probably in need of a better beanstalk atlas, and an image for the magic beans, if you're up to that.

Could you elaborate on that?

Beanstalk atlas i'm guessing would be a tentacle pillar one, right?

Regarding the magic beans, how do you want those cooked? Sketch? Ingame mockup screenshot? Or an atlas (the seeds one probably)?

PS: Timeline is still the same. Might have something for you on monday, depending on the Snailking work. But i'll be without internet for the weekend, so i'll take my debriefing now, plz ^-^

I worked on the beanstalk physics (the art needs a little tweaking to make it wider in the camera-facing direction, though, since cylinder is the best shape available but it still doesn't really fit into the art) and made its loot drop from the sky.

Come again? Has a beanstalk atlas already been made? Gimmy!

Could you elaborate on that?

Beanstalk atlas i'm guessing would be a tentacle pillar one, right?

Regarding the magic beans, how do you want those cooked? Sketch? Ingame mockup screenshot? Or an atlas (the seeds one probably)?

PS: Timeline is still the same. Might have something for you on monday, depending on the Snailking work. But i'll be without internet for the weekend, so i'll take my debriefing now, plz ^-^

Come again? Has a beanstalk atlas already been made? Gimmy!

For the magic beans, I figure we can just use the seeds atlas.

For the beanstalk, yes, I made an attempt at it using the tentacle_pillar atlas. It (and the rest of the mod) can be downloaded from the git repo. Its proportions are modified, so it's best to preview it with the mod.

https://github.com/debugman18/UpAndAway/archive/master.zip