[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

So which character sounds should he use when he talks? I personally vote the Woodie voice.Edit: Though if it were possible, I'd love to be able to give him fully voiced speechs.

Edited by Luggs

So which character sounds should he use when he talks? I personally vote the Woodie voice.Edit: Though if it were possible, I'd love to be able to give him fully voiced speechs.

I think it would be rather strange if he was voiced. There are lots of cool and different things you guys could do with this mod but in my opinion making a character voiced would make unvoiced characters seem less important and be a dramatic change from the style of don't starve.

I think it would be rather strange if he was voiced. There are lots of cool and different things you guys could do with this mod but in my opinion making a character voiced would make unvoiced characters seem less important and be a dramatic change from the style of don't starve.

I agree. Just a fun thought. It's not possible anyways as I don't think we can add our own sounds yet. At the least though, he needs an instrument to play while he talks.

I agree. Just a fun thought. It's not possible anyways as I don't think we can add our own sounds yet. At the least though, he needs an instrument to play while he talks.

I get where you're coming from. Actual voicing would sure break the tone of Don't Starve, however that same repetitive instrument sound is very frustrating for long speeches. It just takes away the emotion from it. Oh well.The volume for a specific sound can be changed dynamically, but that doesn't really help much (and may still feel weird). Edited by simplex

I get where you're coming from. Actual voicing would sure break the tone of Don't Starve, however that same repetitive instrument sound is very frustrating for long speeches. It just takes away the emotion from it. Oh well.The volume for a specific sound can be changed dynamically, but that doesn't really help much (and may still feel weird).

Is there a way to play around with the pitch? (I don't think there is but I am clueless) The combination of pitch and volume changes could make it more emotional.

Is there a way to play around with the pitch? (I don't think there is but I am clueless) The combination of pitch and volume changes could make it more emotional.

I don't think there is. Some sounds may receive parameters, but this seems to be sound-specific (this is all handled by the game engine, i.e. by the compiled executable, so there's no source code to inspect, only usage examples).

Yeah. Unless we can do custom sounds soon, we'll have to get creative with the creature sounds.

Yes. Animations and sound are certainly the major roadblocks for any mod which aims for non-trivial art development that doesn't fit into any of the game's models. I really hope Klei will add support for this soon. Edited by simplex

Yes. Animations and sound are certainly the major roadblocks for any mod which aims for non-trivial art development that doesn't fit into any of the game's models. I really hope Klei will add support for this soon.

On the animation front, we can be thankful that Don't Starve has a wide variety of creatures with differing animations to use.

On the animation front, we can be thankful that Don't Starve has a wide variety of creatures with differing animations to use.

Yes, at least we have that. But still, the snailking mod is still suffering. There are many anims that "almost work", but have a thing or two preventing them from being really viable. I hope this won't be so much of an issue here.

I've been sitting here trying to figure out what would the shopkeeper say when he hands you the beans. Is it a simple plant them, or should you have to do a few things before the beans grow. If we did the latter, I was thinking. How about he tells you a riddle? Just would like some opinions on this.

As an animator, not quite being able to have things exactly as I want... kinda irks me.

I know it's nitpicky, but having the freedom to tweak an animation, or even make something else entirely... now that would be wonderful.

• Like 1

is it possible to use a combination of voices from other characters for the shop keep

As far as I know, yes.

Sounds interesting! After reading this, I'm even more glad that I went with non-invasive code to do the lava level - otherwise our mods wouldn't work together.

Ditto. So as far as compatibility goes, the two mods should coexist easily. Which is fantastic!

I've been sitting here trying to figure out what would the shopkeeper say when he hands you the beans. Is it a simple plant them, or should you have to do a few things before the beans grow. If we did the latter, I was thinking. How about he tells you a riddle? Just would like some opinions on this.

I'm not sure I want the process of growing the beans to be that drawn out. Finding the shopkeeper will be a deal of effort, and you'll already have to trade with him to even get to the new world.

What does everyone think of the bean finding process?

So what are everybody's thoughts about permanent day and permanent winter in the sky kingdom?

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I want the process of growing the beans to be that drawn out. Finding the shopkeeper will be a deal of effort, and you'll already have to trade with him to even get to the new world. What does everyone think of the bean finding process? So what are everybody's thoughts about permanent day and permanent winter in the sky kingdom?

Permanent winter and day sounds good.In terms of the bean finding process, I love it. If only because its a nice reference to Jack and the Beanstalk.

As far as I know, yes. Ditto. So as far as compatibility goes, the two mods should coexist easily. Which is fantastic! I'm not sure I want the process of growing the beans to be that drawn out. Finding the shopkeeper will be a deal of effort, and you'll already have to trade with him to even get to the new world. What does everyone think of the bean finding process? So what are everybody's thoughts about permanent day and permanent winter in the sky kingdom?

I think @Luggs was talking about the riddle just as how to instruct the usage of the beans. Not as a "quest", or something like that.I'm not sure about permanent day. But I like the rest.

@debugman18It's a minor thing really. But can you capitalize the u in up in the thread title? It's been bothering me to no end :grin:

I already tried. Bothers me too. :p

I think @Luggs was talking about the riddle just as how to instruct the usage of the beans. Not as a "quest", or something like that.I'm not sure about permanent day. But I like the rest.

Ah! Well, as just an additional riddle, that sounds like a good way to give the player an additional push.

As for the the permanent day, the reasoning behind it was that since the risk/reward ratio is relatively high up here, the player should feel disarmed when they arrive. I remember one of the things about the game that attracted me to it was that I came into the world with zero expectations. I had no idea what was going to befall me, and my only focus initially was not starving. I didn't know how to be prepared, or how to survive. I didn't know that there were many more threats than just nighttime and starving.

I think that the sky kingdom should elicit similar feelings. You come into it finding a sunny, yet cold environment, with none of the resources you are used to seeing. How would a player react to being thrust into that kind of environment? I also think that more can be experienced freely and enjoyably when the player is not pushed into a corner, but rather incites their own consequences. The permanent winter is almost hypocritical to that, but it fits logically and it puts off a sort of 'Go get more experience first' message for new players.

But again, this mod is in its infancy. There is time to discuss and change these things if people feel it needs to be done. I've also updated the OP with some outline information. I have a majority of it written down, but it's not the most organized thing at the moment, so I'm adding it chunks at a time.

• Like 1

You fulfilled your end of the bargain.Now for me to keep mine.Your ticket out of here.Now, you can't just plant these beans in any old soil.They require a powerful fertilizer.Bonemeal, perhaps.Then...just let the moon do the rest.That'd be the riddle. It simply tells the player where you need to plant the beans(in this example, an opened grave) and that they won't grow until a night has passed. Getting the Beefalo to the shop keeper is enough of a quest
  • Like 1

Yeah i have mixed feelings about permanent day too. I'd be more inclined towards the "long day" setting. Though come to think of it, there's perma-light zones in the caves too. The darkness only limits you when exploring which can be countered with light items. So i was thinking that winter could be harsh up there (high altitude with winds an such) so you would freeze faster. To counter it we could add an item that acts like a wearable campfire that as long as it runs temperature won't go down; maybe an upgrade to the heat stone?As far as for turf, whenever i think of the upper land i think of Skypiea. A mix between a land and clouds. Cloudy biome hides sky sharks in it...

Yeah i have mixed feelings about permanent day too. I'd be more inclined towards the "long day" setting. Though come to think of it, there's perma-light zones in the caves too. The darkness only limits you when exploring which can be countered with light items. So i was thinking that winter could be harsh up there (high altitude with winds an such) so you would freeze faster. To counter it we could add an item that acts like a wearable campfire that as long as it runs temperature won't go down; maybe an upgrade to the heat stone?As far as for turf, whenever i think of the upper land i think of Skypiea. A mix between a land and clouds. Cloudy biome hides sky sharks in it...

Of course Skypiea came to mind. :p I'd definitely be interested in some kind of cloud dwellling creature, but it would be a little strange to implement. It seems possible, though.

@simplex

So that's a couple of people who are iffy about permanent day. What about it don't you like? I'd be fine without permanent day, however I am curious why you don't like it?

• Like 1

Of course Skypiea came to mind. :razz: I'd definitely be interested in some kind of cloud dwellling creature, but it would be a little strange to implement. It seems possible, though.

@simplex

So that's a couple of people who are iffy about permanent day. What about it don't you like? I'd be fine without permanent day, however I am curious why you don't like it?

I'm also thinking that the clouds would change to storm clouds periodically, charged with lightning and dangerous, though i have yet no idea on what would that do.As for the golden egg making chicken. It could make eddible golden eggs as you said that in the crockpot would have a value of 2 eggs. BUT it would need music to make them. Here's where the gramophone comes into play.