[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

Perhaps there is a way to copy the way regrow hair animation and use it for the transformation, leaving the original regrow hair animation for it actually regrowing wool. I haven't done much with animations, so I'm not certain.

Looking at beardlings give me a thought. Under normal static levels, (beginning of cycle till the preparation segment?), the Cloud Sheep use their own tex file with normal Beefalo concepts (full cloud coat is furred Beefalo, shaved is naked Beefalo) when its about to reach the pinnacle, the tex is discreetly switched to the previously mentioned idea. Attempting to shave them at this point results in the character getting an electric shock, a few points of damage, and the statement "it shocked me." They change to Storm Rams, then when the cycle resets, they're returned to normal.
  • Like 2

Looking at beardlings give me a thought. Under normal static levels, (beginning of cycle till the preparation segment?), the Cloud Sheep use their own tex file with normal Beefalo concepts (full cloud coat is furred Beefalo, shaved is naked Beefalo) when its about to reach the pinnacle, the tex is discreetly switched to the previously mentioned idea. Attempting to shave them at this point results in the character getting an electric shock, a few points of damage, and the statement "it shocked me." They change to Storm Rams, then when the cycle resets, they're returned to normal.

That's a great idea!

:grin:

We need some quotes accounting for that. At least!

I can see Wx's now: AM I DREAMING

As for @Willette, I haven't heard anything aside from the initial yes (and a drawing of giants from bean pods at my request). I think something is wrong with her tablet?

Edit: This is her rendition of the bean giants.

Posted Image

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

I can see Wx'x now: AM I DREAMING As for @Willette, I haven't heard anything aside from the initial yes (and a drawing of giants from bean pods at my request). I think something is wrong with her tablet?

What I know is she just got back to Moscow (and to her "real tools"), so it's quite expected she hasn't got much to show for yet in terms of art. I was really being literal when I said "word". But well, it's a pity she didn't drop by here even after being mentioned.
  • Like 1

Amazing!

A little less plantatious than I thought it would be, though.

It isn't final, nor is it in-game art. :3

What I know is she just got back to Moscow (and to her "real tools"), so it's quite expected she hasn't got much to show for yet in terms of art. I was really being literal when I said "word". But well, it's a pity she didn't drop by here even after being mentioned.

I can understand her need for real tools. I just got my own art tablet (a Bamboo for sketching) and it's definitely nice not having to use a mouse anymore, or scan my images. Hopefully we'll see and hear more from her soon.

• Like 1

What's the cloud world's "Pandora's Box"? With the caves, once you open the entrance, bats begin to invade the surface. What's our Pandora's box? Maybe you hear "FEE FI FO FUM" and an earthquake (sky quake?) occurs, dropping cloud bits and other loot.

It isn't final, nor is it in-game art. :3

I can understand her need for real tools. I just got my own art tablet (a Bamboo for sketching) and it's definitely nice not having to use a mouse anymore, or scan my images. Hopefully we'll see and hear more from her soon.

I was looking for a sketch tablet in hopes of actually being as good at art on pc as I am with pencil. Do the Bamboo pads have as much traction as paper?

What's the cloud world's "Pandora's Box"? With the caves, once you open the entrance, bats begin to invade the surface. What's our Pandora's box? Maybe you hear "FEE FI FO FUM" and an earthquake (sky quake?) occurs, dropping cloud bits and other loot.

How about repeated lightning strikes, or perhaps a type of poisionous vine that start growing in a short radius. (akin to spider turf)

I've been thinking about that. I'm really not sure what we'll do for that, but I imagine we'll come up with something.

I was looking for a sketch tablet in hopes of actually being as good at art on pc as I am with pencil. Do the Bamboo pads have as much traction as paper?

I'm using the Bamboo create, and so far I like it. It feels similar to paper, I think it feels fine. Thing is, I've got to get used to not staring at my pen when I'm drawing. xD

Meh, this suggestion may be a little ridiculous,but here it's: In the sky, there will be a area, where there will be plant tentacles (like the normal tentacles, but plant-ier) where those giant beans will be, to spawn giants, and im thinking about a reward to face this area, much like the swamp ofers some rewards, maybe something like a fruit.

Edited by Hugo M.
  • Like 2

Meh, this suggestion may be a little ridiculous,but here it's: In the sky, there will be a area, where there will be plant tentacles (like the normal tentacles, but plant-ier) where those giant beans will be, to spawn giants, and im thinking about a reward to face this area, much like the swamp ofers some rewards, maybe something like a fruit.

I think this is o.k. A giant plant bud perhaps?

For the shopkeeper, perhaps he spawns in his own set piece. His "shop", if you will. After journeying to the cloud world for the first time (Is that what we're calling it?) when you visit him, he has a new deal.Oh. Don't look at me like that.Even I can't take you back home.I promised you a way to get out of this plane and so I did.Fine. If you're going to be like that, how about a new deal?There are a few things of interest to me up there.Golden eggs, insert other valuable items hereBring them to me, and I'll reward you handsomely.

The shopkeeper's little speech when you first talk to him. If we go that route.Hello there, (fella/darling). You look tired.What if I told you I had something that could get you out?That could whisk you away from this miserable plane?Interested? Then lets make a deal.I have need of some Beefalo.Those hairy beasts you've seen roaming the grasslands.Bring me a few, lets say three.And I'll give you the ticket out.Get to it.

You forgots to add a final quest/response when you bring him his stuff.

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

I think this is o.k. A giant plant bud perhaps?

Well we'll see how things go. I'm currently leaning towards the traditional bean pod, with each one able to 'hatch' into two giants. Everything is subject to change however, so we'll see how the actual implementation goes before we make make the final decision on that.

Oh, im not sure if this is common knowledge (im kinda a newb) but if you zoom out far enough, you can see clouds. An asthetic suggestion would be to add small floating cloud peices like the ones that will show on the sky world with animals/plants on it when you zoom out to cloud level

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

O.K. Do you have any screenshots of new things? I'd like to see one of the sky world.

Oh, im not sure if this is common knowledge (im kinda a newb) but if you zoom out far enough, you can see clouds. An asthetic suggestion would be to add small floating cloud peices like the ones that will show on the sky world with animals/plants on it when you zoom out to cloud level

Please compress your posts a little. ;) I'm glad you're excited about the mod, but remember to post in moderation. Rest assured you'll get replied to eventually, if you give it time.

As for floating bits with plants and animals on them, that's an interesting idea. I'll see if I can come up with anything close to that. I've actually got some ideas for a kite item already, that would do... things. More on that when we get to it. As for screenshots of the sky world, there's very little to show of it right now. However, if you're an especially curious and patient person:

If you really, really want (a very) early peak at the mod, you can go find the link to my git repository (which I linked to earlier in the thread), and download all of the files necessary. If you don't know how to do that, or don't want to, then you can (and probably should) wait for versions of the mod that will be much more polished and balanced.

I'm not sure how @simplex feels about developmental builds. Personally, I don't have an issue with people using them, so long as they go into it understanding what they're getting into. (An unfinished and unpolished experience).

The mod is still in very early development, so there isn't much at all to see or do, and we can't guarantee it'll be bug-free. (I don't expect any bugs on @simplex's end, but I certainly expect to stumble across one or more myself). Hell, I can tell you right now that in the current version of the mod, you have no way to see any part of the mod in action without using the console. (Well actually, there's a preset for the sky level in the Presets (for quicker testing), but I can't recall if it's the same as the one that's currently generated by the beanstalk.)

Long story short, the mod is not even remotely playable yet. I'll be sharing screenshots and adding more information to the OP as progress is made.

Wow, i'm in awe of the scope of this project. I absolutely love it.

Can't wait to get my hands dirty designing all the little things that will be needed, aswell as the BIG monstruous things! ;)

Feel free to PM me with any requests Willette can't work on!

Makes sense. Though it would be fun to have the digged ground just be open, unwalkable sky. But if taking this latter approach, the result of digging cloud shouldn't be turf, properly speaking, because (assuming it would allow extending the walkable ground of the "cloud world") it would seriously mess up path-finding.

Well, if the clouds are thick enough to be walked on i don't see a problem with digging up the surface a bit. Of course, there'd be just more cloud beneath, but maybe a darker denser cloud. And maybe the turf would be a food item that could be used to make Cloud Candy :excitement:

I can only imagine it being craftable (balloons, inflatable bed, air gun...), since planting cloud turf on the ground shouldn't have any effects besides humidity and evaporation lol (if you want to worry about it making sense, that is - no impositions there, absurdity is just as important in DS).

EDIT:

There could be variety in the cloud turfs aswell, there's plenty of different cloud formations with differerent refraction properties to draw inspiration from (mammatus, nacreous, cirrus, shelf clouds, funnel clouds, even noctilucent clouds...).

You could have a:

● Storm biome (black turbulent clouds, constant rain, ball lightning, frogs, jellyfish)

● Snow biome (white swirling clouds, snow, ice traps, winged yetis)

● Sunset/Rainbow biome (pink/red clouds, cold weather, Hesperides' gold nugget trees, Flareflies, Giant Butterflies)

● Acid biome (green bubbling clouds, noxious geisers, phosphorescent molds and spores, mosquito swarms)

● etc etc etc (but maybe four is already too many).

Turfs from different biomes could all be eatable (and regenerable?):

● Pop Rocks (Storm biome)

● Marshmellow (Acid biome - equivalent to monster food)

● Ice Cream (Snow biome)

● Cotton Candy (Sunset biome)

EDIT2:

Sorry, replied before noticing this thread has SEVEN pages already!

I like the idea of it being an all-day environment too. Specially because i don't think you should be able to make campfires up there. That would be too weird. Also love the Cloud Sheep idea, "counting sheep" and being "in the clouds" and all that. Plus, i think they'd look great floating without legs and they'd be so easy to mod into the existing game anims.

Also, i think you should find some ghosts lost souls wandering up there. Maybe as a deterrent for digging up cloud food-turf all the time, they could spawn occasionally like they do in graves.

Also, i can't resist throwing a few other ideas for biomes to choose from:

● Aurora biome (iridescent dark clouds, bats, shadow beasts... turf: Licorice)

● Sand biome (yellow clouds, dust devils, Shai-Hulud (in my dreams)... turf: sandwich uneatable sand - maybe this one could be plantable, would work like a beach biome turf if that's ever implemented)

● Hurricane biome (grey spiky clouds, typhoons, eye boss - like a beholder... turf: Chantilly)

Edited by lifemare
  • Like 4

So going over cloud sheep trying to figure out how to smooth the transformation to Storm Rams. The best way I can figure is, using the Beefalo model, make the Cloud Sheep the "naked" Beefalo and the Storm Ram being the furry Beefalo. When the static transformation occurs, the "regrow hair" animation plays. Of course, this brings up the issue of when we shave the Cloud Sheep that we can't tell if they're shaved or not since they're using the naked beefalo parts of the animation.

I was thinking of the sheep using the "teen to mature" beefalo animation, in which they get bigger and have a fur explosion, to change into the bigger intimidating storm rams. 

How about rainbowcoons start descending into the world and start stealing food sources? They could be a chubier version of the splumonkeys
  • Like 1

This idea is awesome, here's a couple of turf ideas I just had

1. use normal green grass (not the dark forest one)

2. use the fog from graveyards very liberally 

3. use the clouds as the sea around the land.

what do you think?

• Like 1