[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

I've actually had crystals in mind for a while. Maybe they could be spires?

As for marshmallows, I'm not sure how they'll be implemented, but I'm sure we'll come up with something viable.

My suggestion for marshmallows was a long time ago and it was given in response to the discussion of cloud turf being diggable.

As that idea been abandoned?

Regarding crystals, since we're up in the clouds, wouldn't it make more sense if they were water crystals? Something like this perhaps:

Posted Image

with some transparency to it maybe, so you see trough it when your character walks behind it...

EDIT:

Though quartz crystals would look great too...

Edit: And I like @lifemare's google doc better, anyways. The other ones aren't presentation format.

I had no idea there was a Google Doc already....... must've missed a couple of pages in this thread.... Glad it didn't go to waste. I don't know what content the other Doc had, can we merge that info with the new one?

Edited by lifemare

Wow, everything above! Great work @Willette!

- I thoroughly agree with Crystals of some description. If nothing else, it will prevent the world becoming Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory on Clouds. We need more items that aren't Candy IMHO.

- Longbill has been mostly fixed and retextured. A decent artist is more than welcome to fix the mistakes and misalignments and make it look vaguely good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3SLRY29UlU&feature=youtu.be

• Like 2

Wow, everything above! Great work @Willette!

- I thoroughly agree with Crystals of some description. If nothing else, it will prevent the world becoming Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory on Clouds. We need more items that aren't Candy IMHO.

- Longbill has been mostly fixed and retextured. A decent artist is more than welcome to fix the mistakes and misalignments and make it look vaguely good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3SLRY29UlU&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, we need some serious magic in there. Pretty giant crystals... I can imagine that... Someone will have to code them to be a bit transparent , if that's possible at all. What else could make our cloud land look mysterious and... Less sweet i guess...

Yeah, we need some serious magic in there. Pretty giant crystals... I can imagine that... Someone will have to code them to be a bit transparent , if that's possible at all. What else could make our cloud land look mysterious and... Less sweet i guess...

I suppose it'll be less noticeable when we have more crazy mobs.

Also, the Longbill TEX and PNG files, where can I put them?

Edited by ArcticFox789

I think the TEX already allows for transparency, coding wouldn't  be needed here.

hmmm... that calls for one more great brainstorming. The environment definitely needs more mystery.

I think different biomes would contribute to that, with different mobs and ambience, i'm particularly fond of the Aurora biome in that sense. Dark clouds with a turf similar to the ruins (fluorescent patterns), rainbowy shadow creatures, those skyflies you worked on, and more monstruous mobs....

Edited by lifemare

I think the TEX already allows for transparency, coding wouldn't  be needed here.

hmmm... that calls for one more great brainstorming. The environment definitely needs more mystery.

I think different biomes would contribute to that, with different mobs and ambience, i'm particularly fond of the Aurora biome in that sense. Dark clouds with a turf similar to the ruins (fluorescent patterns), rainbowy shadow creatures, those skyflies you worked on, and more monstruous mobs....

Duckraptors and Longbills should definitely have a biome. Or at least be the big, bad mobs of the biome.

I dunno... Duckraptors, Longbills, the Moose... I feel the cloud realm is becoming too quacky.

Put them all in one biome. If we spread them allover, that's when it's gonna get too quacky. Or maybe the Duckraptor can be the 'Static' version of the Longbill like Teo suggested.

Edited by ArcticFox789
  • Like 2

@simplex is it possible to make a river of sorts in the game to fish the fish from? Or just be able to get them from the cloud waves?

It is possible to make any entity fishable. Not ground, properly speaking. And I don't see how we could model a river through the usual TEX/build way...

I'm starting to picture you in my head as fat jolly old man with a big white beard!

That is awesome news simplex!

Posted Image

.I am the anti-Krampus. Though you may need to adjust your image of me, since I'm 21. And I don't wear glasses. xD

Nothing from the caves/basic world should be up there naturally. Maybe there could be ways to get similar resources. Considering there are plans for all kinds of recipes, there will definitely be ways to survive with only what is up there.

Edit: And I like @lifemare's google doc better, anyways. The other ones aren't presentation format.

I'm thinking we need to rehash the idea of permanent day. Things like Willette's skyflies just don't look that good in the day. And a darker ambiance does make it look more magical.

I'm actually leaning towards permanent (or at least long) dusk. 

Posted Image

don't get scared by those blank parts in the atlases, they will sure look great in the cloud turf!... i hope... i think...

As soon as you feel those atlases are ready for sharing, I'll plug them right into worldgen.

My suggestion for marshmallows was a long time ago and it was given in response to the discussion of cloud turf being diggable.

I think Willette's marshmallow bees are the perfect way to implement that. Their hives could function like bee boxes, with harvestable marshmallow instead of honey.

That can be done both at the art and code level. However, transparency effects (alpha blending) is a heavy GPU operation, and when doing that right in the TEX part of it is precomputed, being less GPU-hungry for our players. So I think this should be our main method, possibly complemented by some tweaks on the code level. Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

It is possible to make any entity fishable. Not ground, properly speaking. And I don't see how we could model a river through the usual TEX/build way...

So not from cloud waves...Dammit i was hopping for some sort of river and the flying fish fly above the water sometimes. At first i was thinking of a segment of cloud waves shaped like a road to resemble the river and the use turf bridges to move to the other side. I guess i can only hope to get the Animation Support update soon.

hey, if they're flying fish, i don't see the need for fishing rods, just a bug net would do the trick, and they could spawn from some kind of bush like aeronemone or cloral.

I think Willette's marshmallow bees are the perfect way to implement that. Their hives could function like bee boxes, with harvestable marshmallow instead of honey.

Seconded!

Put them all in one biome. If we spread them allover, that's when it's gonna get too quacky. Or maybe the Duckraptor can be the 'Static' version of the Longbill like Teo suggested.

That duckraptor as a Wereduck is a good concept.

Something like this, maybe:

Posted Image

Regarding crystals, since we're up in the clouds, wouldn't it make more sense if they were water crystals? Something like this perhaps:

Posted Image

with some transparency to it maybe, so you see trough it when your character walks behind it...

EDIT:

Though quartz crystals would look great too...

I had no idea there was a Google Doc already....... must've missed a couple of pages in this thread.... Glad it didn't go to waste. I don't know what content the other Doc had, can we merge that info with the new one?

Nothing there which needs moving over. :razz:

As for crystals, we can have some variety there, I think. I definitely agree on water crystals, though.

@Willette

I don't even know how to describe how awesome that is.

I am the anti-Krampus. Though you may need to adjust your image of me, since I'm 21. And I don't wear glasses. xD

I'm thinking we need to rehash the idea of permanent day. Things like Willette's skyflies just don't look that good in the day. And a darker ambiance does make it look more magical.

I'm actually leaning towards permanent (or at least long) dusk.

As soon as you feel those atlases are ready for sharing, I'll plug them right into worldgen.

The only way to make a river would be through worldgen or using a large setpeice. Eh...

Dusk, you say? Well, I'm all for giving it a shot. Experimenting gets results.

:3 I definitely want those atlases when they're ready.

I like the marshmallow hive idea.

Aside from that, we definitely need some darker things to curb monotony.

hey, if they're flying fish, i don't see the need for fishing rods, just a bug net would do the trick, and they could spawn from some kind of bush like aeronemone or cloral.

Seconded!

That duckraptor as a Wereduck is a good concept.

Something like this, maybe:

Posted Image

I like the fish idea. That sounds like it'd be hilarious to witness in-game. Aeronemone seems like a good name. Cloral is just too... Hmm, nope.

As for the Duckraptor, yeah, it could work as a static variant of the Longbill.

As far as biomes are concerned, we should probably outline what kinds of biomes we want.

• Like 1

As far as biomes are concerned, we should probably outline what kinds of biomes we want.

Cloud-Storm biome (static dependand, home to sheep)Aurora biome (dark clouds, colorful fog, home to rainbowcoons)Cloud inside biome (home to longbills and the sort), darker than the other biomes, can use retextured cave wallls to give illusion of being inside a cloud?)Sky forest/ field biome (home to owl people)Ruined castle? (home to to benclops and the golden)humid cloud biome (home to possible beach themed mobs? crabs and the sort) 

Video's not playing! :´(

I like the fish idea. That sounds like it'd be hilarious to witness in-game. Aeronemone seems like a good name. Cloral is just too...

Sounds like a brand of soap, i know, lol.

Still, in the art department i think it would look great, and could be a source of ores up there.

Er... All of them? :^P

Even the crazy ones like the Sandstorm biome (it has so much potential!)

EDIT:

And speaking of crazy, i'll throw another one in the pot: Mushroom Cloud biome (Radioactive neon green biome, filled with mushrooms, drains health, turf: jello). Though i'd rather use that idea for a mushroom cloud shaped actual mushroom.

Posted Image

EDIT2:

And speaking of jello, i'm still rooting for these guys. unless MilleniumCount wants to recruit them for 2000 leagues under the sea :^P

Posted Image

Edited by lifemare

Quotes for ice crystals?

Wilson: I wonder if they were made for an ice sculpture contest.Willow: I wish they were more flammable. Watching something melt is very boring.

Wolfgang: Chilly ice crystals!

WX-78: WATER FROZEN BY THE HIGH ALTITUDE.

Wendy: As cold as a killer.

Wickerbottom: Their internal structures must be very intricate.

Woodie: Reminds me of the great north!

Maxwell: I despise the cold.

Structure/enemy ideas!

Stormsurges (Enemy)

A water-based enemy that can put out torches and fires on contact.

Stormheads: (Structure)

Giant hill that shoots sideways lightning bolts when neared

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

Posted Image

don't get scared by those blank parts in the atlases, they will sure look great in the cloud turf!... i hope... i think...

how is Wilson's hair an icicle? I want dat.

Also in the last picture, what is that small creature next to Wilson?

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy